Upload limits for attachments

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by bjr, Oct 26, 2011.

1. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

In the past, our upload limits have been fairly restricted...the high cost of bandwidth has been the reason cited. It was fair, I suppose considering that this place was very active and it wasn't uncommon to see 10 new threads in each forum everyday and many more replies to each. However, times have changed. From what I can make out, the forum has slowed down (I have no real evidence but perhaps you can confirm this?). I also assume that the cost of storage space has gone down in the last 5 odd years. This might make the overall cost of increasing the storage limit for users less than Neo might have then, probably accurately, thought it to be.

If feasible, can you increase the storage limit for users? If the cost is still prohibitively igh, perhaps the increase can be based on the post count (Not as a reward or anything, just using it as a yardstick for judging how frequently a user is online here....for example, I have about 1500 odd posts despite probably having 3 times that post count in the CC lounge. Therefore, I would probably need more space than someone who has been active here for a week or a 100 odd posts).

What that will let me do is post recordings specifically here instead of posting on soundclick where other people can see it as well...eg if I try to help out with a guitar lesson, I might want to post a small recording to illustrate a point. This also allows IGT to retain the recording as part of the lesson instead of relying on external links from soundclick (or even worse, Rapidshare) to complete a lesson.

Just an idea.

p.s.- Also, music file extensions are not allowed as uploads as of now which seems a little silly.

2. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

3. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

thank you! I was wondering if anyone cared?

4. Super-Admin

Super-Admin Administrator Staff Member

Bjr - Sorry you had to bump it twice ... Being a long weekend, took some time off, and this post missed my attention.

The postings have reduced, and the draconian rules or the ironfisted mods were the reason we lost some old guys.

Having said that, we have been working on a lot of back end features. If you are interested in putting up training videos, please do get back to me, we have something planned on those lines, you can help us out by joining us :).

PM me your number and details.

Cheers,

5. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Not training videos, to be honest. I was thinking of putting up some audios that I was doing for practice and maybe make lessons out of them. I think videos work way better but there's too much work involved and I'm not up for it. However, I still think that the audios work fine as well.

It's also going to be convenient for people to be able to post mp3s here if they have a question to be answered...for example, someone might put up a demo recording while trying to explain how to solo over a set of chords?

6. Super-Admin

Super-Admin Administrator Staff Member

True, ok let's see how we can fit this in. I want lot more features implemented very quickly .. trust me I'm desperate too :)

7. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

This is the sort of thread that works as a case in point:

https://indianguitartabs.com/f14/chord-theory-50487.html

Right now, I've used Rapidshare links which solve the purpose but if someone were to look at this a year later, it would be half a lesson without the recordings. I think that would be IGT's loss (especially if the recordings were better than the ones in this thread).

8. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

also, it is hugely inconvenient to upload/download using rapidshare (it's not rapid)

9. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

It is in Germany though. No waiting time at all and no waiting time between downloads. The *****es are unfair to the third world.