Upgrading Processors

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by paperslut, Dec 11, 2006.

1. paperslut

paperslut New Member

Need some advice on buying a new processor.

I currently use a Zoom 505 II (yes, yes, do laugh) and for my limited knowledge of the stuff, it allows me to fiddle with a bunch of settings and get some neat sounds. Problem is, it sounds like rubbish when I use it live (what? a Zoom 505 live? yes, laugh a little more). It's a decent effects bundle for a beginner in the area, but I think it's time for an upgrade.

I don't know much about how processors really work, so here's where the advice bit comes in.

I play a lot of Green Day, blink-182, Coldplay, Punk-Alternative-Pop-Rock. Essentially, I need something that has a nice crunchy distortion, a decent acoustic sound, and some flanger. If I come off as a total retard in the area of effects and processors, it is because I am.

My budget is around about 10 grand. I use a Greg Bennet Samick (LP). Do keep in mind that I need a little education on what all the buttons and knobs do, and I need something that has a good live sound.

Also, Korg AX10G vs Zoom G2.1U?

2. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

If you don't want anything more than drive and flanger you can look at buying individual pedals. You also have to remember that the amp colours your sound a lot.

As for the Korg vs the Zoom, they're externally the same (hideous 2 digit display) and internally differ by technology - the Zoom has higher sampling rates (technically it should sound closer to the real thing, i.e whatever it's emulating), and a 32bit DSP (basically new technology). AMP/LINE switch in the Korg is the same as 2 sets of patches, one live, one recording in the Zoom, etc.

Your best bet is to try and play them through your amp because that's how you will know if it's the sound you want.

3. yazi

yazi Banned

Dude, for the best value for money, get the zoom g2.1u. Its the next gen of processors(as far as my limited knowledge goes).

4. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

+1 to any zoom anywhere! ok kill me for saying that cus ive never used a G2.1ut through and through....but the 20mins i used it....it was really worth it!

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

You need a dirt stomp box and and a flanger stomp box.
    Grunge pedals liek: Digitech Grunge, BOSS DS-2, etc
    Same with flanger: you got cheap pedals from boss.

6. paperslut

paperslut New Member

Thanks to all the guys who replied.

With regards to the pedals instead of a multi unit, I'd much rather prefer a processor... allows me to experiment with a bunch of sounds instead of just gain and flanger. So some help in the processor department would be much appreciated.

It seems as if the Zoom G2 praise is unanimous. Any idea why my Zoom 505 II sounds so crap live?

@thehundrethone - I get your point about playing it through my amp. However, I currently practice on a Stranger 40 and that's pretty iffy on the sound department. Looking to upgrade that too to a Marshall or a Laney. The processor is the one that is affecting my live sound, which needs much improvement.

@laneymaney - the 505 has served me well as a beginning to processors, will try the G2 out.

7. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

multi effects are more practical.....it seems mch more wise to buy a multifx in my opinion......

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Maybe becuase in Gig, the sound levels are really high, and the actual tone of processor "shines" through.

:)

9. paperslut

paperslut New Member

:p:

Yeah, probably. Is there anything I can do to 'clean up' the sound, or is that just a function of quality of the processor?

10. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

dont think u can do much.....just sell ur amp and buy the zoom g2.1ut...with the left over money buy a laney :) ....or roland

11. thehundredthone

Well multifx are good until you have enough money for a custom pedal board which is connected to your stomps - i.e. just footswitches, each of which switches on a different combination of pedals, with optional expression pedal. Yerrrr, we all dream!

What I'm saying is that your amp can make the best pedal sound shit, and the best amp doesn't need pedals, at least for drive (lets not go there though...).

However since not many people in India mic their own amps, I guess the fx are more important right now.

12. paperslut

paperslut New Member

^

What's the deal with mic-ing amps? I haven't got that concept.

13. thehundredthone

You get the tone and colouring of your own amp. As you know each circuit has it's own trademark sound due. You mic that rather than run your guitar through the other amp so that the sound is "yours". I'll read up (and you should too you know :p: ) to be sure.

EDIT: yerr that's basically it. You mic the amp through a PA. Link on how best to do it
    Micing basics
    EQing right

14. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

see...its like this lol....when u have a laney...why waste the beautiful tone ????? if u have a marshall...just plug ur guitar into the usb....lol kidding....

its more real....and natural when its mic....thats what i think

15. paperslut

paperslut New Member

@laney - I wonder what amp you use? :p
    I took a look at the G7... woah!

@thehundrethone - Thanks for the links. Will do the recommended reading.

16. petermasc

petermasc New Member

i have used both the gnx 3k and the rp 300 both are very good in tone emulation much better than some zooms i have tried,reliablity can be an issue though.workstations are difficult to program.many parameters are available for tweaking your sound.

17. thehundredthone

Is the GNX 3k in budget?

18. guitarfreak_106

guitarfreak_106 New Member

@thehundredthone: Is there any advantage of micing an amp over connecting its line out jack directly to the PA mixer? I thought most guitarists use the 2nd method.

19. Double Click

Double Click New Member

The Zoom 505 II is crap... period.

That aside, the main reason most processors sound bad live is because the patches are made at home... at low volumes using different amps.
    Every amp colours the tone differently. This is y a patch that sounds good on a stranger sounds downright shitty on a marshall.....

There are ways to overcome this.

1. Use a Full Range Speaker/amp to make ur paches, then, at the gig, plug into the mixer directly. This approach does NOT take into acccount the volume levels which can also make a big difference.

2. The best method is to make the patches ON STAGE. This way, u can get the right tone at the levels that u are playing.

Oh and, try plugging into the mixer directly, or at least use the line in instead of the guitar in of ur amp.

20. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Most guitarists with real amps mic them. This allows the voicing of the cabs to come through. This requires a good mic and some knowledge of how to properly mic a cab..... something u rarely see at indian gigs.

Search.. There are hundreds of articles on this.