Upgraded my guitar with new pickup

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ronnieanand, Jun 1, 2005.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

My GB&a was good but the stock pickups lacked the clarity I wanted. Especially when I wanted to do quick runs, it sounded pretty muddy. So I changed the bridge to a new Bill Lawrence L500XL. It's compressed with a lot of sustain. Not my kind of sound. My kinda sound but I was impressed with what it had to offer. Pretty nice stuff. It has got immense clarity good enough for the solos to cut through. Few things I wish it had was 1. It's got an ugly look. At least I feel so. 2. Not so much of output. I prefer a much lower output with plenty of low mid. This one kind of has a scooped mid sound like the heavy metal stuff. 3. Wish it came in White Colour. Now my guitar has black pickup in the bridge and white in the middle and the neck. Looks wierd, so I am thinking of changing to a black pick guard. Now the tappings and legatos are really shining through.
    I will be also adding a Bill Lawrence neck single coil pickup and then will make my middle pickup dummy.
    Also have a kinky idea of putting a Yellow Colour pickguard for my Bluish Black guitar. What do you think it will look like ?

2. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

It might look like a nice acoustic JEM!!! Rock on...

3. hey ronnie
    im also planning to buy gb&a acoustic guitar...can u give me any tip ???
    can u tell me which pickup should i intall???
    how many pickups do u use ??? 3...???? wat difference does it make ...
    can u suggest me any excellent pickup..
    and should i also use both neck and bridge pickup on the same guitar..( sounds wierd to me)
    need ur suggestion

4. ronnieanand

Hey sorry for the confusion. My GB&a is Electric. It's a Strat Copy with 3 pickups at bridge, middle and neck positions. If you want excellent acoustic pickup, check out fishman piezos. They are extremely good. For a GB&a Acoustic Fishman might be an overkill. Spend a little more and a get a Yamaha.

5. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Does the guitar now have 2 input jacks...- one for the piezo and one for the regular S-S-S? Have you tried that option?

6. ronnieanand

No. Only single jack. But I have seen Jerry Garcia's guitar which had 3 input jacks.

7. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

It sounds great. A friend of mine did the piezo thing (inspired by Vai) and channeled the 2 outputs through different amps - one clean and one distorted...sounds amazing!!

8. ronnieanand

I have a 5 Way pickup selector. I dont use the middle pickup anyway. So I have this idea of putting a piezo and connecting it to the middle pickup switch position. So I can switch between both of them.