Types of Acoustic Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by acoustic_ear, May 29, 2006.

1. acoustic_ear

acoustic_ear New Member

Hi all,

I just started learning to play the guitar recently and plan to buy my own guitar this week. I see that there are 2 types of acoustic guitars - one with a hole in the center and the other with a f-cut. I personally like the one with the hole cause it sounds louder but my wife likes the f-cut cause its sleeker, lighter and hence easier to play even with it strapped on your shoulders.

Now what i want to know is whether there is any distinct advantage or disadvantage associated with either and which is a better buy ...

Thanks a lot in advance.

2. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

:) Hi welcome to forum.. Honestly this is toatly your call. what you like better, sounds better and feels better to you. Do look around you will defintly find a guitar with the round sound hole that feels very comfortabl and light... It just depends what it is made of.....

3. vini

vini Repeat Offender

in terms of sound, a round hole would be better than f hole in my opinion!..although i agree it might look less attractive than f and less "sleeker" as well!

4. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

:RollLol:
    You want guitar for playing music or as a show-off piece?

In similar vein I would discount Grand Piano, since it is so large, and very difficult to transport + it is costly like hell.
    So what if it sounds like heaven?

:mad:

5. acoustic_ear

acoustic_ear New Member

hi Cryptic

You want guitar for playing music or as a show-off piece?

It is not for show-off. Let me rephrase the question. It has to be something comfortable for you to play. The piano thing that you said, is a silly comparison cause you wouldnt normally suspend a piano from you shoulders.

However all these aspects aside, my main question was whether there is, apart from the size and form factor, any considerable difference in the performace of a f-cut and the other one which can prove to be a decisive factor for buying either.

6. lucifer_666

lucifer_666 New Member

hi acoustic_ear...

i can give u my personal opinion...i hv both the types u mentioned...and find the polo one(the one with the hole) better in all counts....
    since u r a beginner the first thing that u need to do is to train ur ear and the guitar that gives u better sound should be ur first choice irrespective of looks....

most people start of with a givson jumbo.....but i would suggest u go for one which is a bit smaller than that....for example try the basic acoustic model offered by fender......(and BTW it looks cool too!!!!)

jocelyn likes this.
  7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^^ :boff:
    Easy Boy.
    The point is that the way you make a dreadnaught acoustic look like a leviathan seems rather a flimsy reason for rejecting it.

Ofcourse had the reason been: I like the trebly tone and less ringing of thinner body acoustic, then it does make sense.

BTW Most of the pros while playing acoustic use Dreadnaught, that too STANDING.

So I guess your theory of : "sleeker, lighter and hence easier to play even with it strapped on your shoulders. " doesn't hold ground for them.

8. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

+1 very well said....I personaly prefer the round sound hole for its full sound.... comapred to f-sound hole guitar... I too own both, A full SIZED jumbo ( my fav guitar), and a f-sound hole f- cut accoustic. The F- cut allows me to play more rock-n-roll stuff but that is because of its neck profile too.... You can also go for a smaller sized round soundhole ( standard size), with an f-cut..

9. bsharp

bsharp New Member

The guitar with round hole type sounds a bit louder in bass where as the f-cut one is more on treble.
    I use a f-cut Hobner...
    But I have also used the jumbo Round hole Hobner..Hence I found that difference. But my preference is the Jumbo one with the hole. Its sounds really sweet...

10. prit_undead

prit_undead New Member

i won't really advice u to start with a jumbo
    the sound is definitely much btr than the ordinary accoustic but its size is a major drawback
    i started with ojne and it was one year before i could get the heck of it
    but as it happens with all the good things aftetr that it plays like heaven

i don't personally like the f-cuts. o cuts have a real good bass and when u r playing an accoustic in most cases that's what matters

on second thought, am i qualified enough to talk about all this?

11. acoustic_ear

acoustic_ear New Member

Thanks for the reply guys. This thread would help me a lot in deciding the acoustic to buy.
    Also in general, the whole site is a delight for a newbie like me. Right from tips to start off to writing notes .. it covers it all ..
    Great work !!

12. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

If u want to feel good (sound good ) playing it, go for the jumbo(round hole). However, if you interested in your well being when you are NOT playing, better go with your wife's advice.:RollLol: :RollLol: :RollLol: :RollLol:

The round hole is a better buy. But I have come across round-hole guitars that are sleeker and not as fat(for lack of a better term) as a jumbo.

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

:mad:
    It is not for show-off. Let me rephrase the question. It has to be something comfortable for you to play. The piano thing that you said, is a silly comparison cause you wouldnt normally suspend a piano from you shoulders.

However all these aspects aside, my main question was whether there is, apart from the size and form factor, any considerable difference in the performace of a f-cut and the other one which can prove to be a decisive factor for buying either.

14. acoustic_ear

acoustic_ear New Member

he he :p:

Hey I did say thanks and that you are all doing a great job, doesnt that still let me off the hook :)

15. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LOL
    This kinda thing just goes on internet forums.

We are little bored and slight humor (mebbe brash n rude) should never hurt ;)

So have you finally decided?
    Actually you need to go to a shop, try those two out.
    The bigger one (with round soundhole) might look uncomfortable, but not any more than the F-cut one.

16. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

I used to play on a borrowed F-cut acoustic, so when i got my round-hole guitar, i found it a bit uncomfortable initially but got used to it in no time :) and it sounds wayyyyyyyyy better than the F-cut :D

17. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

Round holed guitars gives you more bright sound and when you play a thick f-cut guitar you will get more of a crunchy sound. Something like mre of treble rather than bass.

Round holed guitars always sound beautiful to me.

18. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

Hey! Why quote ME!!!!!:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

19. acoustic_ear

acoustic_ear New Member

Yes,I m decided. I m all sold-out with the idea of buying a round-cut.
    But my dilemna doesnt stop here. Next i have a plethora of round-cuts to choose from..Givson, Gibson, Hobner, Signature...(whats a jumbo !!)
    I was advised to go for the one whose *sound* appeals to me most. However .. ahem :think: .. for a newbie like me, who cant even tune the guitar yet, sound from any is going to be the same. My mentor told me that all the above-mentioned guitar companies are equally good and i could just pick mine based on the comfort level and the color, something that I m not yet convinced about. Do you guys have any suggestion ???

20. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Oh noo!!!
    Givson and Hobner are no way close to Gibson.

Wait for others. Am not too much into different makes of Acsoutic Guitars.