type of woods help ???

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by redbaron, Aug 9, 2007.

1. redbaron

redbaron New Member

alright m getting a electric guitar made, in the shape of the jackson kelly, sooner or later so i wud like to ask u'll wat kinda body wood shud be used?
    1. rosewood
    2. teakwood
    3. alder
    4. mahogany

i have heard a lot about rosewood and wonder whether it wud be a good choice.
    check this link:
    https://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm
    i can't decide which wood to go for
    i normally play heavy metal and hard rock, megadeth sort of style!!!
    and yes as far as pickups are concerned they wud be seymour duncan dave mustaine livewire active pickups!!!

2. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

I would suggest mahogony. Its a dark wood with thick tones and greater sustain. Perfect for stuff like pantera and megadeth.

3. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

If you want to get a Megadeth-esque axe (as seems to be the case by the shape and pickup choices), basswood would be a good (and cheap) idea. Not available much in India, though-so mahagony or teak (similar woods, actually) could be a better choice. The one wood you should NOT go for for a body is rosewood-too midrangey and muddy for scooped-mid metal.

4. DagMX

DagMX New Member

why livewire though? i hear the blackouts blow them out of the water...Im getting a pair in a few weeks i guess.

anyway back to woods, I actually say get alder. Alder would sound really crunchy which would be perfect for hard rock and metal.

though get mahogany if you want more darker tones but for megadeth, i say go alder with good pickups.

5. Shreddy

Shreddy LaneyManeyResurrection

My alexi is alder and its pretty good. Although there's very little difference between woodz

6. redbaron

redbaron New Member

hmm...so it all boils down to alder...tho is it available here in india??? teak wud surely is available...

7. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

I dun like the feeling of teak guitars. Try some givson electrics

8. Shreddy

@yazi...boogie clips...

9. DagMX

DagMX New Member

it'd be better to spend cash on good wood rather than settling for just whatevers available, especially for a custom guitar...

10. Double Click

Double Click New Member

I don think Givsons are made of teak. Myt Tulsi is teak, and I'm pretty happy with it. Its a lil dark sounding, but on the whole seems to be pretty balanced across frequencies.

@redbaron - Where are u getting it made? Most Luthiers in India dont really give u a choice in wood.

11. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Givsons are made of toon - immature teak

@ Alexi - Doing some pro recording on the boogie. Will post atleast on soon

12. Shreddy

you better have some ***y ass pics of it too

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

You know these days I have a thing: I really wanna "test" one of the tone purists who advice this wood over that wood, ask them to do an A/B themselves and tell me which wood is which (done with distortion on).

Ofcourse they won't be knowing which wood is in whcih guitar.
    (And needless to mention guitars / pickups / strings / amps would be same)

Anyone here game?

14. Shreddy

Me...lol i can show you that theres almost no difference between alder and basswood. But you will notice a little more basstone on the basswood.

15. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

i would say go for basswood because it is very light and tht is the only reason... as for the sound, choose between woods if u are Eric Johnson, else all would sound same.. btw, where u getting it made frm...

16. umangu

umangu New Member

Rosewood is only for fretboards.

I wouldn't count on teak. It's an oily wood, and any oil ooze will spoil the finish.

17. Luthier

Luthier New Member

^^^ Very True Umangu..Teak Is oily and it does not hold on to the sound that long. The oiliness damps the sound vibrations. It is tough but not a tone wood. But no harm in using it for Electrics. African TeaK is less oily and Lighter too.

And I respect alpha's "test" for those who recommended wood over wood.....hehe...!!!

Cheers...!!!

18. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ Haha

Strictly, I do believe in wood's influence over tone.
    But in acoustic (very big influence), and in electric clean tone.

To some extent in overdriven tones (but then EQing and voicing of amp/pedal would mask)

However, in distortion, more so in metal distortion, I find it amusing when ppl get fussy about wood.

19. zing

zing Machine Head

20. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Ahh Alpha I agree.. with you the reason ihave been talking abt wood so much is because I play clean with a little overdrive here and there.... So i can herethe diff.. ofcouse under loads of effects or heazvy distortion nobody can tell much diff.