two handed tapping!!!

Discussion in 'Guitar Tablature Discussion' started by taxyse, Oct 12, 2005.

1. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

well, the last frontier for me (atleast for the know how.).....
    i am really being attaracted to this technique since my van halen style tappin days.........from what i have heard ...this seems to have immense potential....cool!!!
    so how many of u already in this stuff???
    which all musicians have used this field.....and to what extent.....i've heard some folks compltely play in this technique only..
    and yeah...i havent heard a single song having this thing....mind naming a few????

i am thinkin bout learning this..have already started ...but first i wanna hear it propely....how much it has in store.....then will i think about giving up my nails and the pick . :rock: lolzz

2. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

nobody????? :mad: :mad:

3. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

check out adam fulara..google search
    check out his tapping vids..hell blow u away

4. akkyy21

akkyy21 #%@!$&

I am tryin to play this Tesla - Love Song,.. it needs tapping, if thats what u mean...

5. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

well i try 2 handed techniques on my acoustic guitar ....hehehe ...but it never works..i need some amplications

6. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

yeah ...check out adam fulara ...heheh
    this guyz a MANIAC>....

7. acousticdreamer

acousticdreamer ΩUNPLUGGEDΩ

This is a different way off tapping. Cross-Handed Tapping is very flashy and looks cool.
    This is really only for playing live, since it is such an impractical way of tapping.

You start by hammering a note with your left hand, and then tap another note with your right hand.
    Then bring your left hand under your right and tap another note. Then you bring your right hand
    over and tap, ect. Yeah that didn't make a whole lot of sense, so let's demonstrate.

Legend:
    h= Hammer
    p= Pull Off
    t= tap

Here we will do a simple one string tapping line in the key of G Major:

e|--h3-t7-h10-t15-p10-t7-p3--|
    B|---------------------------|
    G|---------------------------|
    D|---------------------------|
    A|---------------------------|
    E|---------------------------|

To make this confusing jumble of a mess easier to understand, I'll explain this step by step:

1. Hammer on at the 3rd fret with your left hand.
    2. ap the 7th fret with your right hand.
    3. Bring your left hand under your right hand and hammer on the 10th fret.
    4. Bring your right hand over your left hand and tap the 15th fret.
    5. Pull off the 15th fret, making sure your left hand is still holding down the 10th fret.
    6. Bring your right hand over your left and tap the 7th fret and pull off the 10th fret.
    7. Bring you left hand under your right and hammer on the 3rd fret, pull off the 7th fret.
    8. Take it slow and easy, this is a pretty demanding technique.

Experiment with other notes and such, also you can combine this with other techniques.
    For example lets take an E minor Arpeggio Sweep, then cross tap and then bring it down for
    an Em Triad sweep:

e|-----------------7-h12-t15-h19-t24-p19-p15---------------|
    B|--------------8------------------------------17----------|
    G|-----------9------------------------------------16-------|
    D|--------9------------------------------------------17----|
    A|-7h10-------------------------------------------------19-|
    E|---------------------------------------------------------|

The cross tap starts when you tap the 19th fret (bringing left under right) and ends when you
    tap the 24th fret (bringing right over left). If you dont have a 24 fret guitar you can always
    bring it down a few frets to compensate.

Hey I had found this lesson somewhere...I don't remember it anymore :think:
    Anyway, hope this helps to start of with!

death angel likes this.
  8. Arindam.Ray

Arindam.Ray Undertaker

Tapping...

Tapping tech is usually used for faster leads.It generates some massive speedy lead which may sound as just like playing hell with your guitar!
    I will suggest to listen to "SULTANS OF SWING" by Dire Straits (ESPECIALLY THE LIVE VERSION !!)......Listen to the last part in the Live version.....you will be dead!!! Also in the studio ver listen to the last part of lead.
    Also watch out for Malmsteen....a master of tapping & bending technique.

Here's an example of tapping.....go with utter ease.....(nobody told you to learn in a hurry!!!!!!)

D--t5p0h2h3--------------------------------------------

Steps:
    =====
    1) Tap (means-hammer the note with fiercesome blow)
    2) Tap the 5th fret of 4th string.
    3) After tapping,leave the string with a gentle pluck.
    4) Previous step (gentle pluck) will generate the sound of Open string.Which mean you have just done a pull-off to Open note from a fretted note.Done upto t5p0.
    5) Now after generating the Open fret fretted sound,immediately hammer (strike)the 2nd fret.Done upto t5p0h2.
    6) Now after generating the 2nd fretted sound,immediately hammer(strike) the 3rd fret to get the full note play.Done all.

This is One hand Tapping.

Next hour i'll explain "two hand tapping","two hand cross tapping"& "3 hand tapping" also!!!!!!
    Amazed huh...???!!! what is 3 hand tapping...wait..till i come...

With Regards,
    Arindam Ray.

9. jekyll

jekyll Banned

so it means no one here has heard "Eruption" by Van HAlen??? :annoyed:

that thing is nothign but tapping for over two minutes ...

10. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

@Arindam.... Sultans of Swing does not have any tapping..its fast hammer-ons and pull offs....tapping licks sound much faster..but all said and done..I love Knopflr's playing on that song..the Alchemy live version is really:nw:

11. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

hey i did.....dude.....me being a evh fan who says no one heard it?! :mad: :nw:

12. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

i think dennis is the only one who understoof what i needed....
    rest of the guys are thinkin that i dont even know what tapping is..duh
    but thanks anyway..somebody else might be needing all this ..<sigh>

13. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

for tapping listen to

judas preist - pain likker
    van halen - girls gone bad

14. jekyll

jekyll Banned

hehe forget everything

just watch the video by Michael Angelo Batio ...
    u will forget everything ...

that guy does somethign whic looks as if some one is doing karate puch blocks and karate chops ...

:nw:

15. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

hahahahahahaha^^^^^
    bloddy showoff!!

16. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

If you like mellower stuff check out Stanley Jordan..I have only seen one video of his..plays jazz using tapping..mindblowing!!

17. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

dude...i didnt think anyone on the boards would know abt this guy..
    hes awesome.all those classical pieces he plays..
    theres one more guy i think who uses the same approach..but cant seem to remember his name.

18. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Check out Tapping Ninja. He was a private student of Jenifer Batten and she named him Tapping Ninja for his prowess.
    Lotsa guys do great tapping. Vai, Satch, EVH, Jenifer Batten.

Check out Steve Lynch. :nw: He is considered the innovator of 8 finger tapping. Real insane stuff. His band Autograph played only sugar coated choclattee songs but this guy really rocks.

Stanley Jordan does a harmonized tapping. He harmonizes two different scales are two different set of tappings. This cannot be done with distortion but the technique is insane.

19. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Cool Akky. That's what I am learning now. I am almost through with the intro Acoustic Part. That fast thing is not tapping. It's actually a fast legato which means the hammer ons and pull off are done with the fretting hand only. Tapping requires both hands to be hammering and pulling offs. By the way, in Love Song from beginning to end, there is no tapping.

20. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

i've got sum vids of Michael Angelo Batio..doing the double handed tapping trick on his double necked guitar......itz not EXACTLY tapping but luks damn impressive ...he actually playz with BOTH hands....i cant express it in words so check it out ...he's the only renowned person in the world hu can do this ..

check this out
    https://perso.wanadoo.fr/patrice.frey/images/MM54.jpg
    https://www1.gitarrebass.de/magazine/0502/angelo.jpg
    https://www.deanguitars.com/angelo/angelold.jpg
    https://www.edromanguitars.com/rock/Angelo/mikequad.jpg

and yeah adam fulara ...sort of does da same thing 2 ....but his technique and songz are way better dan batio's....more melodic and itz not only shredding !!