twisted guitar neck -- Help Needed

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by cosmo kramer, Jul 2, 2007.

1. cosmo kramer

cosmo kramer New Member

calling tallkien!
    guys, i have just found out that i have managed to twist my new electric guitar's neck... what i did was, that i added a heavier set of strings, and tuned it to concert pitch. now since the new strings were too heavy, the bridge got bent forward, and tuning became a major pain.. so i purchased an extra set of springs and installed it, taking the total spring count to four...

but all along i suspected that something could go wrong. and it did. when i checked the neck today out of curiosity, i was horrified, and heartbroken. this is my lovely metallic red yamaha pacifica thats just 2 months old...

the twist is about 5 to 6mm just like in this photo graph --> [​IMG]
    (in this image, the neck is a bit too twisted, and intentionally so..
    NOTE: this is NOT my guitar's photograph)
    the extent of twist on my guitar is considerably less than that in the photograph, but with the same orientation...
    so my question is:
    first, CAN it be repaired? or not.
    second, if it can be, then will i need professional help or not?

right now, the situation i am in because of this development, i wont be able to sleep peacefully till i get this thing sorted out...

2. fishtank

fishtank Member

why don't you show your guitar to the shop you purchase it from
    i too own the same yamaha pacifica 112j but never came through this problem
    moreover your guitar is new maybe the shop owner will repair it.

3. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Did you add the strings one at a time or did you unstring the whole thing first? Restringing shouldn't really cause warping.

It might be repairable; but don't despair, it's a bolt on neck and can be replaced if it has to be. :)

4. cosmo kramer

cosmo kramer New Member

^ya man, i did unstring it completely...
    PS:- how much could a replacement neck cost me(if at all i need to get it)?

5. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

That pic there is of a helix neck, it is not a defect, Is your neck bent the same way or did it bend straight up like a bow? If it bent like the pic then that's a very serious problem which involves a lot more than just heavier strings.

Anyway post similar pics of your guitar to give us a better idea.

You add springs to the trem mainly when the old ones wear out. If you're stepping up the gauge you first should tighten the springs a few turns without adding any new ones. For now just detune the guitar and see if the neck straightens up, if not take it to a luthier in your area and get his advice, post spme pics anyway, and in future please consult before trying something like that.

6. cosmo kramer

cosmo kramer New Member

ok here i have some pics:
    1)[​IMG]
    2)[​IMG]
    3)[​IMG]

although i do suspect that, the neck has untwisted just a little after being hung for about 12 hrs straight. just by a whisker, i guess, i'm not sure...is it bad? also about neck replacement, i'm a little skeptic of the workmanship of these ppl... coz i have read that when installed at the factory with standard strings, the neck is balanced with great precision. i doubt these guys could do it.anyway how much would/could a neck cost me?:(

7. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

0.o
    How does that happen?

8. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Ouch! Dude that is way beyond my scope of assistance, Get some luthier numbers and make the calls, They sure could try to fix that but you should be aware that applying that kind of strain will weaken the neck (even more) quite considerably. Even if you were to twist that in a vice you'd have to do it slowly over the period of a few weeks, I doubt many luthiers would oblige. In any case you've exposed a weak neck so the best thing is to look for a replacement, and that can prove expensive...

Just so happens, I'm in the market for a neck myself. I'm (indulging) in a warmoth (if and when I can afford it). Lutherie is a craft not an exact science so don't expect micro precision if you plan to get one made here (or most anywhere). If you absolutely insist on such a (precision) neck, I know people who are very happy with Carvin. I'd have one made by Erisa except he's busy making some acoustics and he'll stay busy for a few months. I've had a couple of long chats with him and seen some of his work. You can very safely trust this man to build you a great neck IMO. I lost his number with my phone but hopefully somebody here has it

Good luck

9. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

^^hey i got erisa's number. its 09443263087

10. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

U can get the neck replaced for aroung 3 to 4K.....depends upon the model though....The shopwalla at malad told me that he charges 3000 to 3500 for Ibanez Necks....the rates may vary according to the model......

11. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

what necks are these, please do tell more, and please pass on this guys number for everyones benefit...

thanks

12. mymusicmyguitar

Albertos Guitar Shop.
    Ph No. 022-28881523
    This shop is at Malad Link Road.

The guys seem to be a bit reluctant to tell the prices on the phone.. Had gone to their shop last week along with my friend. So I could get the price.
    Dont know what kinda wood they use. but they assured us that they will be using the best wood.

13. mymusicmyguitar

one more thing these guys even make Guitars of ur choice. Tel them anything and they will make it for u .....they have been in this industry for many years...

PLZ DO NOT FORGET TO BARGAIN...........

14. mymusicmyguitar

Hey here is the guys address who repairs guitars .....
    Excellent luthier.

Sunil Musicals
    Name - Sunil Shinde
    Tel - 02228684347

He has a workshop at Kandivali(Link Road). Charkop

15. khushalbhadra

khushalbhadra New Member

Sunil Musical number doesnt work.

16. theghost

theghost New Member

What gauge strings did u put on?

17. flood

flood New Member

while i understand that you're a n00b and can only do as a n00b does, you have created a fail of proportions that are definitely great but no stranger to these boards.

the first post is from 2007. i would expect that the man doesn't visit these boards anymore, and has solved the problem or sold the guitar already. check dates before reviving threads.

18. theghost

theghost New Member

****!!!
    Hey i didnt revive this thread

MY BAD!

Anyway i wanted to know coz i wanted to put 12's on my squier

19. flood

flood New Member

hmmm, i did that once (was buying a new set and thought, WWJD? 13s!) and my neck didn't like it much, IIRC. this was a long time ago.

20. theghost

theghost New Member

Will the neck bend even if I tune drop c#?