Tutorial + Tips : How to sing ?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by vishwa_81us, Jan 3, 2006.

1. vishwa_81us

vishwa_81us Banned

Dear All,

I have seen many newbie thread coming with problems related with singing.. so thought to write a few tips which i feel can help them...

Introduction:

Dear frnd u might be thinking that wat all u need to sing.. in some thread i found some one was telling we need to sing from stomach.. but believe me if u want to sing u need the knowledge of just two things one is called Sur and other Taal.. and a third thing which i feel is imp is the blessings Maa Saraswati.. ( godess of music)

Sur Part: ( notes )

First u need to find can u sing in sur.. best way is take a harmonium if u have or using ur perfectly tunned guitar play "Sa" and sing along.. if there is resonance.. congratulations.. u r in Sur.. and welcome to the world of Singing.. ( and if not.. i m sorry frnd u need to work hard to pass this first test )

next thing is u need to understand the scale.. play sa re ga ma in any scale from ur guitar and sing along.. note the variations in notes... then change the scale.. for eg.. play sa re ga ma in C scale and then D scale.. find and feel the difference.. let ur ears note and understand even the minute variation.. Frnd music is to feel and if u can feel u r the musician..

Taal Part: ( Rhythm )

u need to do a simple thing here.. just u need to be able to count the beats.. u can use ur feet or clap along or use numbers like 123 123 etc.. u need to understand and feel the rhythm.. u have to sing with the ticks of clock.. here comes the timing.. believe me even if a singer sings in sur.. he is a dumb until n unless he can sing with beats..

this is the place where some good singers even with excellent voice quality fail.. i have seen many people who concentrate more in make the notes correct for a song and in the meantime miss the beats.. that shud not happen.. because that will lag u behind.. u will sing somehwere and music will go somehwere..

Tips:

1) sing with an open mouth.. i mean there shud not be any blockings.. feel free to shout.. don't think wat others think about u..

2)don't feel shy to be a bathroom singer.. beacuse a bathroom gives u a accoustic ehco effect which u can't get in a room beacuse of damping effect that is caused by the curtains and other sound absorbing materials...

3)if u r practising hindi songs.. go for the ones sung by kishore kumar, ,md rafi, lata, aasha , becoz u can understand the art of voice modulation only with their voices.. in recent times u can go for Sonu Nigam ,Shaan, Kunal Gunjawala, becoz they have a clear voice.. don't follow Kumar Sanu or Udit Narayan becoz their voice suits them only not others.

4) if u r learning classical hindustani ragas.. then its a plus point to u..

5) daily sing for atleast half an hour...

6)avoid cold and khatta foods... like Imly...

7) Don't smoke.. believe me it effects badly.. it directly effects ur vocal chords..

8) High pitch songs are best for singing practises.. like Bheege Hont , Deewana Tera (sonu nigam ) , Kya hua tera waada , tanha dil , vandemataram (A.R.Rehman)

8) drink some fresh vodka with sprite (my fav) and sing.. u can sing better then Kishore.. ( kidding don't try )...

9) Chill...

I know my threads always turn out to be funny.. But i will be really happy if atleast one among u can tell me that u learnt a bit out of that fun...

Depending on feedback i m going to write a simple tutorial on Indian Ragas..

Waiting ur response..

Vishwa :cool:

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

If you are singing english rock/metal songs

Alcohol n smoke will do wonders.
    Am not promoting those habbits, but they make your vocal chords thicker + looser.
    Tah gives you the baritone + ability to scream higher.

AND Ofcourse having a baritone is plus point while growling.

3. Ankur_Scorpio

Ankur_Scorpio New Member

Thanks Vishwa......we need more threads like these coming from u!!

tht was helpful

4. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

well .. tips were helpful .. but ironically .. i've never practised sur da way u said "saa re" etc .. n u said sing wid an OPEN MOUTH ?? yeah dats of course better than a duct tape on ur mouth .. soudns better with an open mouth .. :p:
    also i smoke .. (which i've cut down heavily)

so things kinda very different for me .. but might prove helpful to guys u never know .. good job ..

5. shantanukr

shantanukr yEh DiL mAanGe m0rE

Hey vishwa .. though my voice is far away to sing ..

But really liked few concepts like OPEN mouth, ACOUSTIC funda in Bathroom ...

Can't REP you at this point .. But all the best . Do come with Ur 'RAGAS' Article.

6. vishwa_81us

vishwa_81us Banned

Thanx frnds.. for ur that appreciation..

i think i posted it in wrong forum.. help needed from mods..

well notty.. first of all u took the point of open mouth in humour.. but thats wat u lack in singing... never mind.. but u lack that.. i listened ur Maeri... it was not at all good as comapred to one sung by Palash Sen from Euphoria.. u fail badly when its a high pitch song.. as far as voice is concerned u r simply gr8.. u have a gifted voice.. and guitaring is also gr8.. but u still have a long way to go.. u can think i m commenting on u.. but believe me a comment which can show u the mirror is more then a compliment... Rest upto u ..

i m not a gr8 singer... and no one to comment on anyone.. but i will try my best to help anyone.. be it an expert or a newbie...

7. suchin

suchin New Member

Great thread, helping me a lot, Thanks Vishwa!!

8. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

No dood .,... it kills ur stamina ........... So hot water is better .........

9. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

@vishwa .. hahaha .. boy i was kiddin man .. :p: u took it way too seriously .. n u comparing me to palash sen ??? i don't even consider muhself a good singer :RollLol:

10. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

i think i can sing in key when i am singing along with a guitar.
    but i suck otherwise

also i hve a very short range
    so i can sing only a few songs.
    how can i increse range

P.S
    i smoke

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Ciggy?

Ofcourse it does. but I dont think anyone here would be really interested in going for world athletic meet or world's strongest man competition.

Alcohol does not kill the stamina.

12. vishwa_81us

vishwa_81us Banned

oops !! no mod is moving this thread to tutorials forrum..

anyway.. thats a good question and i expected someone to ask..

as nanda pointed out.. smoking kills ur stamina.. and if u want to be a singer with an increased range of vocals then u need this stamina.. take for eg.. Sonu Nigam this guy can sing in any range.. i don't know much abt english rock singers..

if u can sing hindi songs.. i can suggest u some.. like Md Rafi... tere mere sapne , Madhuban mein radhika naache re.. sonu nigam's Fizza ( title song ) they have wide variations..

a small practise : determine the range of ur singing and then choose a song which is out of that.... sing that song.. so many times until and unless u get close to it.. i can help u more if u tell me ur range of vocals..

ambush likes this.
  13. vini

vini Repeat Offender

hmm..not bad i say
    reps comin ur way

14. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

Hmm.. nice tips both the no 8s look good !! ;)
    reps 2 u!!

15. slash_i_m

slash_i_m Laid to Rest

how do death metal vocalists get that kind of growl especially if u check out the vocalists of
    Rudra,cannibal corpse,sepultura,napalm death and mudwayne(i agree they aren't death but the vocals ?).

16. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

^^ Heh. As far as i know, thats very hard aswell.

This is another quote by a guy who does screams for his band:

17. sarang_cool

sarang_cool New Member

Hey Wishwa...! thanks for the Tutorial and tips......Indeed helpfulll......waiting for some more like these...! :beer:
    reps to you....

18. sanju_strings

sanju_strings 50 Pai$e <3V/S<3 50 CeNt$

nice one vishwa pls post sumthin bout strumming i mean i av problem in tht n well one more thing is it necessary to press ur fingers rilly hard on fret board ?m bit confussed bout it

19. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Hey alpha .... When rob halford or dickinson go on for 15 secs or more .. It means they have stamina ... When max cavelra can do those growls for a 2 hr gig it means stamina ... Stamina need not be just to run .. Its for everything .. To sit and read .. to sit in an f1 car and drive for 60 laps ... or for that matter even on bed ha ha !

20. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

yes sir,
    whatever you say.

But I still stick to my guns. Smoking + Alcohol leads to better voice.