tube amps question

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by pranavsg07, Jul 29, 2010.

1. pranavsg07

pranavsg07 New Member

i am buying a laney cub 10. just wanted to ask if the tubes need to be changed after a specific period(2-3 years). i play 1 hour a day. new to tube amps so please help me out.

2. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Yes, you will have to change them eventually. As a rule of thumb 2-3 years is a good estimate. But you'll know when you have to, the sound of the amp will change.

3. flood

flood New Member

they should last you a bit longer than that, in fact, since it seems (from the specs) that they're running the tubes well below max. also, i doubt you're running the amp at full power...

4. unet

unet New Member

Congrats!
    It's a nice little amp. :)

5. gajanan

gajanan New Member

dude, how good r these amps? does it give a good distortion when cranked up?
    do u hv any problems with?

6. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Where do you get tubes in india. And what do they cost?

Just curious.

7. sid_ggw

sid_ggw New Member

dude u should really check out be3 amplifiers if u want a good tube amp...The guy Ansar. has got his own boutique brand of amplifiers and he can customize the amp exactly to your specs...dont go for this made in china or wherever crapp...
    I got one over a year ago and it kicks the laneys ass to pluto and then some....
    just google for be3amplifiers...cant post urls

8. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

sid_ggw - He already bought it. ;)

HOWEVER.

@OP - New tubes can be bought from Ansar of BE3 Amplifiers too. :D
    Owait.
    *checks Bajaao*
    I'm surprised they're not selling tubes. =|
    There are a lot of tube selling sites on the net, you can check those out too.
    (Dunno which is more feasible, going to Mumbai, ordering it from there, or ordering from other countries online.)

9. flood

flood New Member

yes, BE3 would have been a better choice. seems like he already bought the laney though.

10. gamebore

gamebore New Member

In what context would you prefer a BE3 to a Laney. I ask because im about to purchase the cub 12R, and im sure you haven't played a laney cub(neither have i, doh), and since i'd like it to be a long term purchase (2-3 years), any and all comparison/info/input would be helpful. :)

11. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Where are you getting the 12R from?

12. flood

flood New Member

no, i haven't played the laney, or any BE3 amps for that matter.

i would go with BE3 for the simple fact that it's made by a guy whose know-how about building amplifiers is at least equal (in this case, greater) than my own.

also the fact that it's made by him, piece for piece, and hand-wired, hand-soldered and that i know he uses quality parts. not a PCB wave soldered in some environmental time bomb conditions in an anonymous chinese factory.

the speaker in the BE3 is better than whatever bottom-of-the-OEM-barrel speaker they chuck into the entry-level laneys (gibsons, marshalls, fenders, vox whatever - it all boils down to cents on a production line).

he knows his amplifiers, laney salesmen and music stores don't know jackshit. so i don't know how service will be handled.

the laney sounds surprisingly good in clips and vids though. i'd still wager that the brat will sound better, although i'm not a fan of the champ topology.

there is one thing to consider though: is that the tonal characteristics of the two amps will be quite different, as the brat is a 5W amp and the laney pushes a very conservative 10W. headroom will be marginally decreased on the brat, not sure how much of a difference it makes at such low wattage though. i'd expect the brat to sound richer. i'd investigate that option if i were you.

13. gamebore

gamebore New Member

Exactly my concern. Head room is of vital importance here. I'm guessing the brat will sound more in the region of vox ac4tv, though maybe a little better due to better speaker quality and hand build.

Also, the cub 12R pushes a decent 15 Watts through a 12 inch speaker, which is a main point of consideration. Speakers can be changed anytime. I've read somewhere on another forum that although the laney cub is made in china and all, the tubes are chassis mounted rather than board-mounted, and tubes are coated with some material (don't really remember the name, hertz, quartz, dont remember, lol) which you generally won't find in a chinese built amplifier.

Im sure i will be a better judge of things once i have experienced them tube amps for some time, till then i guess i will stick to the conventional ones, Laney Cub 12R in this case.