Tube amps in India!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by abhijitnath, May 15, 2006.

1. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

www.guruamplifiers.com
    He also works with a custom guitar builder called Erisa who's pretty well known (he's built Bruce Lee Mani's guitar).

2. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

The Nath-man cometh! You fighting GAS again?

I'm gonna need to play one of these babies. They have a dealer or something?

3. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Its bout 30k for a tube head

4. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

That sucks.

5. abhijitnath

Abe isse saste mein kahan milega? Even a 50 W solid state Marshall is for 28 k or so right?
    This is a handmade 50W tube amp made with hardwood, great tubes, etc etc. 30 k is a decent price IMHO.
    @Sridhar: Have you played through one or contacted these guys? I hear Prasanna uses one.

6. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Yes Prasanna uses one...In his latest album Electric Ganesha Land, he has used it...The distortion is very grainy and raw. Very thick, rich and saturated distortion is how I can define his tone on this album...

7. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Me never played one.Just contacted cause i really wanted to buy it but 30k was too much plus i'd have to find a 2x12 cab.

8. fat_kax

fat_kax Kickin Ass Since 1989 !

im happy wid my Hawk Playmate Amp...YAY!

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Seen that.
    But then how do they deliver?

Cheetah Fight sounds yummy.
    I guess thet should put some sorta sound clips.

BTW:
    :shock:
    How?
    Gah! Guess it is moronic questions like this that instigate all stupid problems.

LOL mebbe I should sue Guruamps ;) and earn enuff to purchase one.
    :RollLol:
    That would be one big irony.

10. abhijitnath

Do you have it? Is it available at any store in Bangalore? I can't get hold of it here...I mailed the person listed on his websitebut no response so far.

11. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Abhijinath do you think Albertos can order them?. Once Paul had told me that they can get anything if a n orer is placed with them.

12. ronnieanand

I heard that this album wont hit the stores here..So I had to get this directly from Prasanna...Just mail Prasanna and ask him for a copy of it..I had paid totally Rs.520 by draft and he mailed me the album....

13. toolhead

toolhead New Member

are they avail in bangalore ? please tell me if so, but how do they sound when compared to marshall good solid states, they look vintage and hand wired and all and raw which is cool but from the outside it may also not look like perfection. like with the marshalls u can always be sure of its quality, u know what i mean, and has anyone checked the marshall DSL401 of the JCM 2000 series please comment on those also and does any one know the price of those in india, it costs abt 200$ in the U.S which is RS 9000 in the U.S & they are valve amps, check marshall.com, under products - dsl series , & is an all-valve amp also called a tube amp? ---------please help!

14. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

valvestate amps are hybrid amps that use a tube preamp with solid state power amp. basically a cheap way of partially emulating the tube sound

15. abhijitnath

You'll have to order one from Pondicherry. Mail the guy. Also, if you're looking for JCM 2000 type metal sounds, they may not be best choice. in the JCM2000 price, you've missed out one zero:)..they're for $2000 at least, not $200. I don't know any company that makes good tube amps for $200 afaik!

16. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ HAHA
    I would make, as soon as I learn some Electronics Engineering!

Am not sure, but I feel that GuruAmps sound like Mesa/Boogies.
    Nope, not the "brewtal \m/" recto series, but more like Mark 1 and 2.

Atleast thats what GPrasanna's tone sounds like. (He uses a Mark 2 also, hence am not sure whether what I have heard is done on Mesa or Guru)

17. abhijitnath

On the website he says something about having a Mesa Mark I and modding it when it stopped functioning. When I mailed him he said the Cheetah Fight was like a combination of Mesas, Dumbles and Jim Kelleys..basically everything modeled on the Bassman or Blackface trannies.

18. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

haha, so they aint gonna sound like a Marshall at all.
    And defintitely not \m/etal

19. ronnieanand

Guru Amps can sound more grainy than a Marshall...Listen to Prasanna's Electric Ganesha Land...Check out his tone...More grainy than the entire career of ACDC put together...Add the vocalist too with the guitar...

20. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Grain does not a \m/etal maketh.