Tube amp < 20k

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Guitarist_DA, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Guitarist_DA

Guitarist_DA New Member

Hey everyone,
    Looking to buy a tube amp soon (within next 1 or 2 weeks).
    What are my options for tube amps in India? Any reccomendations?
    Also what are your views on BE3 amps?
    Budget: 20k, lesser is always better.
    Thanks.

2. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

BE3 is helpful if you know what exactly you want the amp to sound like and i've heard mixed opinions bout BE3....
    Other option is Laney Cub 12R..

3. deepsal

deepsal New Member

get the be3 if you have a sub 20k budget but they cant do metal
    or increase 5k and get the peavey valveking 112
    i suggest the latter

what generes do you listen to

4. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

I was personally was thinkin of buyin the BE3 Brat series. But i ended up buying Laney Cub12R. The reason i didnt buy coz the Brat series falls under the Class A category(as mentioned on BE3 site and also confirmed from Ansar of BE3) of the Tube amplifiers. In simple words Class A draws more power and the tube circuit is always on at full power thus keeping the tube hot all the time. This decreases the tube life and thus would require a tube replacement more often as compared to other class of Tube Amps(A/B)(tube replacement depends upon a lot of factors such as no of hours you practice, how loud u play i.e. volume etc). For me i am sure it wudnt even last for a year coz of my heavy Jamming and Practice sessions.

Where as Laney Cub Series falls under Class A/B category which means the tubes would definitely last more than Class A amps because of the way their power is managed. Also Laney Cub12R gives u 15W as compared to 5W Brat Series.

But again Laney Cub is CHINA made where as i am sure BE3 products are well built and of good quality(i personally own a BE3 multi power supply for pedals and its AWESOME) and repairing or warranty wont be an issue with that either.

If you dont mind the hassle of replacing the tubes and if u dont require more wattage then surely opt for BE3 else go with the Laneys(better than VOX..personally compared sound qualities between VOX AC4TV and Laney Cub series below 20K models)

5. Guitarist_DA

Guitarist_DA New Member

Thanks everyone for the great info.
    I play more of classic rock/hard rock. Very less metal. Have a Digitech RP90, if thats useful- can provide a boost for metal.
    Zeppelin, GnR, early Metallica, Pink Floyd etc etc.
    BTW, the solution 18 is 20k so how is that? I'm thinking its a step up from the Brat series.
    MY concern with the Laney is that it might not be able to be heard over drums? What do you think?
    I have another option- My uncle is arriving from the US, so I could ask him to bring an amp along. But that's only in December.....Would it be worth the wait? Coz I will have more options..

6. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

15W for a tube amp is a lot...Its sufficiently loud to be heard over drums for sure.

I think Solution series for 20k wud come with a 10" celestion speaker. Go for 12 inch. Reviews for 12inch Greenback are really good over the net.

Solution 18 series was around 22k when i asked. I think the one with 12" Greenback was what i had asked for. Yeah its better than the Brat series for sure.

Solution 18 is Class AB. Thats nice

7. guitardoctor

guitardoctor Will Rx for food

How much is the Cub 12R going for?

8. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

around 21k at furtados i guess..