transition to electric guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by dpnkr, Apr 1, 2011.

1. dpnkr

dpnkr New Member

hey guys
    i ve been playing classical guitar for 4 years and now i ve got a lil bored from classical stuff.....my inclination has shifted towards the styles of john frusciante, edge, clapton, brian may etc.

1. Will i ever be able to play like them bcoz now i cant think of playing w/o finger plucking ?

2. Which kind of guitar i should buy ?( of course it will be electric but im asking which brand or model imitate styles of above mentioned artists )

p.s. i dont wanna spend more than 15 grands

2. dpnkr

dpnkr New Member

.................pls reply

3. varunmm4

varunmm4 New Member

Finger style works well on elecs too if you get your sound right! :)
    I dont know about the exact guitars in that range but you should definitely consider a hollow body electric. It'll suit your style and make the transition easier.

Cheers and good luck!

4. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Is the 15 K just for the guitar, or are you going to include an amp in that budget. I don't think you can get a decent combination of amp+guitar with that budget. Only thing i can think of is a yamaha pacifica and a roland cube. Even that, i think, would go over your budget.

5. Torvoraptor

Torvoraptor New Member

secondhand electric + roland cube is your best bet, most likely. Fingerpicking on electric is fine- I can go fairly fast with it - fingerpicking clapton, fruciante and page isn't hard at all (in fact I prefer fingerpicking fruciante... alt picking Snow is a pain),

The main weaknesses of fingerstyle electric guitar is in really fast shredding passages, anything moderately fast is pretty simple.

6. dpnkr

dpnkr New Member

thank you guys for your suggestions

7. dpnkr

dpnkr New Member

15k budget( relaxable to an extent ) excludes amp and fx.......i searched for hollowbody elec. in bhopal but couldnt find one, so was the case of epiphone lp II. Should i buy a used mim strat ?

Isnt there a single good guitar which can meet my demands

8. Torvoraptor

Torvoraptor New Member

To be fair, it's only rarely that a guitar allows you to imitate the playing style of your favourite artists- clapton played primarily fender stratocasters but had used SGs in the past, frusciante uses strats, the edge likes gibson explorers.

The guitar mostly decides how the good it feels to play and the amp etc mostly decides the final sound.
    So go with any guitar that fits you- find a body style you like with a little playing.

Of the 3 most common body styles-
    Stratocasters are supposed to be comfortable and iconic. Super-Strats have excellent fretboard access but usually a little weak sustain, and Les Pauls are a little uncomfortable but the notes ring for a long time.

The MIM strat is probably quite good. Otherwise look for hardtail Ibanez, Greg Bennett, Squier Telecasters etc.

9. dpnkr

dpnkr New Member

thanks guys... i just bought Boss AW-3 Wah pedal, Boss DS-2 Distortion and Fender 25R frontman amp for 15k...is that a good deal

still have to buy a guitar ( practicing with my buddy's axe )

10. bcrich

bcrich New Member

so what's your budget for the guitar NOW?

11. dpnkr

dpnkr New Member

i think its not over 15k.....i how are cort guitars guys ? i heard that they are only for metal lovers and so are ibanez...i missed the opportunity to buy used mim strat, pls help me choosing b/w
    1. cort x5
    2. ibanez grg 170
    3. squire affinity series fat strat
    4. greg bennet av1
    or suggest other models

12. wylder

wylder Member

For guitars under 15k, you would not have to worry about it being only for a particular genre as they would all be of similar cheap wood and construction. Just make sure that the guitar is comfortable and ideal for practising for long hours.

DO NOT get pointy guitars (V's, Explorers, Dimebag Stealth) that may look cool on stage but will be uncomfortable to sit with and practice.

Try out the guitars by playing it for a reasonably long time. If you think its comfortable, thats the one for you. You may want to get a guitar with a neck that is similar to the one you are used to. I am used to ultra thin Ibanez necks and I find it difficult to play my favorite licks on a chunky Gibson neck. (It has nothing to do with one being better/worse than the other)

13. Torvoraptor

Torvoraptor New Member

Comfort and sound- try them all yourself and make a decision. How do we know what kind of sound or neck or body shape you'll love? Remember to try out a Squier Telecaster (hardtails are a beginner's best friend, trust me)- because one of the most often cited flaws of the squier strats is the cheap detuning tremolo.

Also I've heard good things about a Dean Vendetta XMT (it's supposed to be beautifully ergonomic) but never gotten to play one (bajaao has em though)

14. bcrich

bcrich New Member

Dean Vendetta XMT, er, not a good buy, I guess so. I think you should consider the Cort X-6 and GB AV-3. Good investment under your budget.

15. dpnkr

dpnkr New Member

you know guys this eletric guitar stuff is just too complex for a fiddler like me, i usually look for an instrument with nice craftsmanship and wood....but now i gotta care bout pickups, tremolo, cables, amp etc etc....it seems that there is no limit for this unless you order an american standard strat or les paul and marshall stack( but i cant spend 3000 usd + custom duty)............this sunday i'll either put up my newly bought stuff for sale or will go and pickup a squire telecaster

16. bcrich

bcrich New Member

A 7.5k wah and a 3.5k distortion. Ok, so you needed them instantly? Why homie why?
    You have a budget of 15k for the guitar and another 15k you have invested in things you could've lived without.
    So you had a budget of 30k for new gear, should've bought the Greg Bennett AV3 and the BE3 Brat+.

17. dpnkr

dpnkr New Member

nothing to worry bro i just bought greg bennett av3.....nice guitar well not better than my yamaha classical but its definitely a best buy( sturdy built),
    i sought after to buy a telecaster but it was too much trebly, my friends were telling me that les paul clones arent good for bluesy and funky styles but there was hardly any difference between the sounds of strat and av3......at last im done, thank for suggestions

do i need to change the stock pickups ?

18. bcrich

bcrich New Member

Huh? Well, you've already invested 30k on your new gear, still you're not full. Its completely your choice whether to replace the stock pickups or not. In low-cost guitars, its usually no point replacing, but I don't know about The AV-3, never played it, just heard good reviews of it.

So, after a certain point of time, if you need to replace the stock ones, try the Seymour Duncans (available on bajaao).
    https://www.bajaao.com/seymour-duncan-sh2n-jazz-pickup-p-4393.html

19. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Its bullscat like this that really amuses me.
    Mostly these opinions are floated by ignorant rock and "metchul" air heads.

Ppl have played metal with Fender telecasters, and ppl have played blues with Les Paul also.

Thank goodness you didn't fall for it.

20. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Les Paul himself was an American jazz and country guitarist...