top 20 guitarist of all time

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by JUDAS_666, Nov 3, 2004.

1. JUDAS_666

JUDAS_666 Member

1 Jimi Hendrix
    2 Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band
    3 B.B. King
    4 Eric Clapton
    5 Robert Johnson
    6 Chuck Berry
    7 Stevie Ray Vaughan
    8 Ry Cooder
    9 Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin
    10 Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones
    11Kirk Hammett of Metallica
    12 Kurt Cobain of Nirvana
    13 Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead
    14 Jeff Beck
    15 Carlos Santana
    16 Johnny Ramone of the Ramones
    17 Jack White of the White Stripes
    18 John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers
    19 Richard Thompson
    20 James Burton

2. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

where's joe satriani buddy ??

3. pacificwaters

pacificwaters - .+:| Oriel |:+. -

i think a list is incomplete with out satriani...........

4. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

Surprised to not see satriani or vai there.
    of course, no such list can truly exist, its hard to say one guitarist is better than another across genres (esp. when ppl don't even consider some genres)
    my list would have Segovia, Reinhardt, John McLaughlin, DeMiola etc. way above most here.

5. kaiser

kaiser Bored

theres one thing i wanna ask........maybe not the right forum, but what the heck...

jimi hendrix was a coolio when it came to xperimenting with sounds, but why exacty is he considered great?

he wasnt melodious one bit. in fact, if u listen to 2 of his songs in a row, u get a headache. dont u thnk so?

and btw,

its kinda difficult to make a list ladat......cuz as ma freind said, we tend to ignore genres....so we really cnt say.
    even paco de lucia aint there.......

and hey, anybody ever heard of chingon?? the spanish rock band?

6. kurt cobain on the list ...hahahahahahhaahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha.....oh man thats the funniest thing ive ever seen.........
    that very name on the list makes it a joke...

7. kaiser ..jimi is considered gr8 becoz he was the guy who started it.. the no of ppl he still influences even after his death...though many of the musicians can play exactly like jimi ....his albums were all ways way ahead of his time and is probably still valid now...his approach to music was ground breakin and considering the gear that was available he is great...
    just imagine what would that guy do with a floyd rose or pro tools now..!!
    theres no denying that guy was a genious....not because this list says so but the no. of guitar players influenced by him....and let me finish by saying that there cant be any list bcoz ppls choices will always be subjective and will depend on the genre of music ppl listen to..

8. kaiser

kaiser Bored

hmmmmmm..........thats right. the sounds he created were whacky n new. n that was all in the 60's . but personally i dont like his music very much.

he was experimentl sure, n technically superb, but musically, okie-dokie.

one more thing....i think he did a cover of stairway to heaven.
    if i aitn wrong, jimmi died in 1970. n stairway was not released b4 71.

then hows tat possible? correct me if m worng

9. from what i know jimi died arnd 71-72.....

10. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

No one here likes Knopfler?

11. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

How about renaming the poll to "Your 20 favourite guitarists"?

--- thread moved---

12. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

if Kurt Kobain is to be included then i would also include Bilal Maqsood...the guitarist of Strings. i know he isnt too great technically,but its he who inspired me to play the guitar :nw: .. i really like his style .

13. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

well thats what some ppl think of Metallica and Maiden! ;)

yea my list would include Paco DeLucia and Knopfler too.
    I'd even include Indian guitarist Prasanna, for what he has achieved is still unparalleled in a genre most ppl think a guitar can not even be used in.

14. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

No offence, but Kurt Cobain wasnt that great a guitarist, was he? Steve Vai, Satriani missing...... I agree with what esgallindieon said, "Your favorite top 20 guitarists of all time" would be a more appropriate name for this thread.

15. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

Kurt Cobain comes before santana!...dude, where are you living? Kurt was great...i mean his music was not dat great...his music was simple and melodic with simple but very eternal lyrics...which was manifestation of his life. every 1 thinks he is god because of his music.... dats true...but i believe he was a real hero because he was not afraid of showing his feelings and pain through his song like many of us might think twice before doing dat.

Kurt also got famous...coz he just came out with totally different genre...grundge metal. you cant compare all guitarist...i mean. kurt cant play solos like marty....or marty cant play as fast as kerry.

i think every 1 is great in there places...they are all heroes...inspiring each and every one.

16. kurt killed guitar music .....one hell of a sloppy joe on guitars..and i hate most of the grunge shit he churned out .....all he did was freakin whine and whine abt his life...there should have been someone to tell him DUDE GET A LIFE !!!
    Though he proved to the world u dont have to be a musician to make it in the music business...

barring all that i think KURT rules!!

17. Gn'rlies

Gn'rlies New Member

no slash ??
    no vai ?
    no knopfler?
    no satriani?
    no joe perry??

Hell ... so whats the list made of ..
    and the guy from ramones ?? c'mon dude ... those punk guys play guitar for a couple of years n play the same kinda stuff all the time ...

Think (or atleast read the earlier posts on the subject) before compiling lists ..... hahahahha ....
    DUDE .... your guitar list needs a lot of straightening up ... n so do your opinions ..
    dont worry ... stick around for a while .. n you'll get the drift of it ...
    :beer: :beer:

18. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

hey, dont be so hard on him... his list does have some classic names and its not possible to mention every deserving guitarist in a list of 20...

19. This Is Just Makin Me Wonder...was It His List Or Just A List From A Guitar Magazine Poll...coz I Think That List Kind Of Looks Familar Now..

20. Gretsch

Gretsch New Member

I think Jack White is the biggest joke on that list. I swear I have heard beginners turn out better stuff than he has. He is just plain shit - and that is on a good day.

In saying that however, If you have a look at Cobain, White and Ramone it's their influence and the new sounds they devised through the guitar which is what makes them "great".

Qustion where is Mark Knopfler or Chet Atkins?

I'm surprised the same Knob who rated Jack White as one of the best ever hasn't put Blink 182's Tom DeLonge in their list.