>>> Tone Deaf?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by alpha1, Nov 16, 2006.

1. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

https://jakemandell.com/tonedeaf/

While working at the music and neuroimaging lab at Beth Israel/Harvard Medical School in Boston, I developed a quick online way to screen for the tonedeafness. It actually turned out to be a pretty good test to check for overall pitch perception ability. The test is purposefully made very hard, so excellent musicians rarely score above 80% correct. Give it a try!

In our research, we were looking for neuro-anatomical correlates of tonedeafness (called "congenital amusia" in the scientific literature. We gave several dozen subjects a high-resolution MRI scan and used a statistical package to analyze the images. This technique, called VBM (voxel-based morphometry), has been used to study the changes in the brain caused by Alzheimer disease and many other neurological conditions. The test you are about to take was used as a screening test to roughly characterize patient’s pitch discrimination and musical memory abilities. Even though musical memory is strongly tested here, we have found that people who are tonedeaf tend to have normal musical memories.

So its not exactly a tone-deafness test, but it also test your musical memory.
    Mine is extremely weak, :cry1:

My score: 80.6% Correct: 66th Percentile
    :cry2:

Aww Fudge it!

https://jakemandell.com/forum/index.php?topic=2.0

2. guitarfreak_106

guitarfreak_106 New Member

83.3% Correct
    76th Percentile
    not enough for a call from berkelee eh?

3. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

94.4% Correct

Above 90%- Exceptional Performance

94th Percentile

On one of the 2 I got incorrect I accidently pressed the wrong button....which doesn't speak well of my concentration skills.

This was fun though :)

Last online exam I'd given was an IQ test where I lost to cryptic_angel :'(

4. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

hehehaa

i almost forgot abt that!

5. erutu

erutu terminally awesome

I am tone deaf and I don't need a test to tell me that but I did this test 2 days ago.

75% correct.
    Percentile: Did this yesterday so don't remember

6. shak

shak Harrr!

same as alpha ... though i could name couple of scales he was playin .. i guess thats pretty neat

7. Ankur_Scorpio

Ankur_Scorpio New Member

75%, hmmmmm tone deaf?

8. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

I got around 82-83 last night.

9. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

25 percentile. Hih