To buy an acoustic-electric guitar? Help needed

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by aunnyboy, Apr 13, 2007.

1. aunnyboy

aunnyboy New Member

I have a acoustic guitar and an electric guitar, and recently one of my family friends bought an acoustic-electric guitar. I tried playing it and really loved it's sound the the ability to get an acoustic sound with an amplifier. I am still fairly a beginner so I decided to buy an acoustic-electric guitar, I tried searching google but couldn't really find much info on it, like what exactly is it used for. So can any of you tell me, like where exactly can it be used? Can it be played as a fully acoustic guitar like say at a camping trip? Does it offer anything that Acoustic or electric doesn't already offer? Also any other things I should know about it before I buy one? Any help would be appreciated.

2. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

an acoustic-electric is just an acoustic guitar with a pickup... it is a full acoustic but not a full electric... it can be used to connect the guitar with an amplifier... it can be used on camping trips :beer:

3. baadshah

baadshah New Member

He's right. Acoustics and electrics are different types of guitars, however acou/elecs are just acoustics with a pickup. The pickup is usually a piezo pickup that sits under the saddle. It works by picking up the vibrations of the top and translating it into sound waves using quartz crystals. Make sure the acoustic guitar sounds good on its own (ie: that you like the sound of the guitar) and then try plugging it in to make sure the electronics are good. I have an epiphone that sounds pretty good without the pickup, but sounds horrible plugged in, so when i bought my new guitar (Simon and Patrick), i made sure the electronics were just as good, if not better than the sound of the guitar itself. pickups in acoustics are meant to amplify the sound, not distort it, so keep that in mind when checking em out.

4. saurabhrocks

saurabhrocks New Member

ok badshah not too many details, but electric acoustic, is simply a acoustic guitar having pickup, nowadays mostly humbucker picups are used, the mettalic looking ones, also called lipstick pickups,

well there are electric guitars, which can mimic the sound of an acoustic guitar,

and since ur a begginner ,so don't know what ur talking about.
    any type of acoustic guitar(the hollow body ones) can be used anywhere
    but electric ones always need a amp

5. baadshah

baadshah New Member

Work on your grammar: "and since ur a begginner ,so don't know what ur talking about."

The electrics with that sound use piezos under the saddle. I recently helped my calculus teacher install one. requires the guts to drill two holes on a rosewood body electric, ie: meaning the scraps are worth just about enough to buy me a new set of strings, or you a new guitar.

Don't make quick judgments.

When I talked about the electronics, I am referring to the pickups and/or the preamp of the guitar, not electric guitars. I never talked about electric guitars, they don't do much for me. I'm an acoustic guy.

Aunnyboy, you're better off buying the acoustic you like based on the sound of the guitar (as I said above). Its better off if it has a built in pickup (piezos pwn the humbuckers on an acoustic), but even if it doesn't, you can buy sound-hole mounting pickups for any gig you wish to do. My friend goes with the latter method, and it sounds pretty inconvenient to have a wire coming out of the sound hole while you're playing on stage. Having a built-in pickup is definitely better when i play on stage...makes switching guitars much easier.

PS: electrics don't always need a guitar amp. I hook mine up to my home theater system and it sounds amazing coming out of 8 speakers and a subwoofer. I can also hook it up to my car.

Cheers