Tips on Buying Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitar Tablature Discussion' started by HellRazor, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Fatehjit

Fatehjit New Member

I AM COMMENTING ON HELLRAZORS START-UP MESSAGE #1.

Normally, we may buy Acoustic Givson or Hobner in range of Rs. 2300-Rs. 3000. Then why should any beginner go for $ 200-500 (Rs. 9,000 to Rs. 22,500). As I do not have much experience of playing any costly Guitar, what really is the difference between playing a costly Guitar & a normal cheap guitar? Is it speed, ease of playing, better sound, better appearance?

2. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

^^^ i feel that when one is beginning there is no point going for overtly expensive stuff ...

u need to have decent priced stuff coz ususually chep stuff doen't play well and might as well kill your interest ... but buying expensive stuff is like investing in IT startup firm ... u never know when you lose interest in it and the stuff becomes useless ... a big gamble ...

3. sumit

sumit HaNdS uPPP!!

go for a acoustic if ure a beginner coz u wont be able to play an electric coz everytime u want 2 play it u need to connect it to the amp. and all... slowly u'll start losing intrest in...plus its not that expensive also..... and check
    1. if therz a pickup
    2. ther a cut between the body and the rod of guitar(coz soon u'll start needing it when u play lead and all stuffs)
    3. buy a jumbo guitar(24 frets)

4. koolstrum

koolstrum The Chosen One

I guess I have a point of difference between the cheapos n the costly stuff. In a guitar the octaves are repeated over n over again within those 6 strings. However, what is concerned here is that most notes of the same octaves are repeated within any 3 consecutive strings( Different positions on fretboard but same pitch). These notes shud exactly be of the same frequency. Or in simple language I wud say that the frets shud be at the exact postion where these repetitive notes (of the same octave but on different strings) are exactly resonant. As the resonance decreases , the price range also falls. Hope I am correct coz thats wat I think!!

5. rocksta

rocksta Live Fast Die Young

any1 knows where in mum to try or buy all 3 brands?hobner,fender an givson

6. gogol

gogol New Member

What I use!!!

There are already somany suggestions here!!! I can advise you stuffs that I've experienced.

I play HOBNER FT - 245 ; Its a round hole HUGE cut-a-way guitar. Sounds really vibrant. When I first strummed it in the shop, it stunned me. Because its quite hard to get that sound in Rs.2700 .

The things people suggested upstairs are very true, as Mostly these huge guitars are used for rythms, because their base is high. And the thin ones, generally F-Holes, create a bit crusty tone, with high treable. And they are ease to hold (only for beginners, because afterwards the shape won't make much difference).

However, my suggestion is a bit biased, as I fell in love with my first guitar(as all of us do).

One other thing; Playing electric guitar is comparably easier. I mean you need to use less pressure on the fretting hand. So this might be a malpractice. :mad:

Anyway, this thread seems really old; so don't know if my words would come to any use. :think:

Bye,
    Ankur(gogol) :beer:

7. be orignal

this dude is a real copycat he has copied all this from another site.

8. rishabh077

rishabh077 New Member

Hobner Stinks Givson Rocks!!!!!!!!!