thoughts on indian rock

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by rocksta, Nov 18, 2005.

1. rocksta

rocksta Live Fast Die Young

isnt it time we worried about d rock scene in india? i mean why dont great bands like say zero dont get d publicity they need? channel v an mtv being our music channels dont seem to do much huh? isnt it time sumppl got up an did sum stuff?
    wat say?

2. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

not mny appreciate indian rock...most popular music channels want to make money...and not promote rock so they air what is viewed by majority of the junta....the moolah matters to them....

airing the stuff made my zero and similar bands (which are listenable for the general public) on FM channels can boost them a lot.....also if they can get hands on some quality music videos and air it on TV or distribute them it will help them a lot....

and blame the fuked up audience who want more covers rather than originals...the day these morons start appreciating originals....the talent will come out..

also there is not much experimenting going on....if u hear bands like Indus creed (from the past) and Zero in the present, these dudes use traditional indian instruments like the sitar and tabla...which sounds really good...talk about fusion metal....;)
    there are bands from abroad who are using traditional indian instruments and the public is appreciating it...the audience here should encourage experimentation with music

3. jekyll

jekyll Banned

well i am happy ...

those rock bands bring western culture with them ... popularizing them means we will loose our Indian culture, value, ethos ...

good they are not being popularized ...
    better to ban them
    and that kinda music ... nothing but noise!

4. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

The audience and channels have quite a share for this blame. I would blame the tv channels the most.

5. Strat

Strat Floydian

Also, the Rock Idol contest was a total disaster... i think they didn't really appreciate originality, they cared more for good covers.

See for parikrama, they balance their own songs and covers pretty well. Nitin can do Bon Scott really well, but they didn't put that voice in their own songs, which is kinda cool.
    They made a good video and it had a successful run on TV...
    Good videos are needed most.

6. rocksta

hey jekyll...no1 blames ravishankar gettin eastern culture to u.s of a when he plays to packed audiences there.
    gotta be flexible with ur thoughts man! free ur mind!!

7. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

jekyll was being sarcastic

yes, and there are really nice indian bands in the scene right now, too bad there arnt even enuf rockshows(in delhi at least) where they can at least showcase their talent and at the same time feed themselves

8. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

yes and add to that the moral police of mumbai....who consider rock shows as noisy and the top ministers themselves were bus licking ass of michael jackson and other shitty musicians

9. jekyll

jekyll Banned

hmm
    well it is people like u who are responsiblke for polluting our culture in the name of freedom and development ...
    damn you ...

if ravi shankar did that ... he must be condemned by americans - too bad they dont realise, anyway they dont have any parampara ... so they are not bothered

we have - and we are bothered; if u wanna become like them - go to their land.

now go n burn in hell - may the worms infest and feast upon your intestines ...

:mad:
    ghor kalyug !

10. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Hmm.. why have I heard this som many times?

You speak about Indian Bands not being popular? You speak of how Indian Rock is in a sorry state? So do hundreds of others...

Yes, I agree with Shubhank, we need to glocalize our music. But mmore importantly, try to fukin' get it out of our heads that ROCK is for the NICHE and ELITE audience. Try and do something like Pakistani and Bangla and North-Eastern bands...

As for the rock scene, well, in a conservative country like ours, I do see some retaliation from the authorities in our lives (read: elders as well). When was the last time you went out and bought an Indian Band? When was the last time you talked to people bout Indian Rock? Which was the last gig you attended?

Well, everyone can give good reasons for not being able to do any of the above, but in my view, instead of posting threads like this again and again and again, just that everyone can yet again blame everyone in the fukin world, try to do something and spread the word bout Indian Rock...

Speak about your favorite bands, go ahead, review some Indian stuff, go attend more gigs, post more gig-related news...

POPULARIZE THIS STUFF...

AND LISTEN TO THE ORIGINALS WITH MORE INTEREST THAN THE COVERS.

11. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

Good point...thre are bands like Fossils and other releasing music in their regional language....in fact that is one good way of spreading the word of rock music throughout the country....

and yes...be Indian, buy Indian, play Indian.....:)

12. rocksta

jekylls entitled to his opinions..but ppl isnt he too conservative here?
    if americans like ravishankar we gotta be proud....that our culturs being accepted elsewheres too.
    we all talk bout anti-westernism but most of us say it whilr wearin denim or drinnkin coke, an isnt this internet we usin western culture too?
    neways am movin away frm the point . wats important is dat we promote indian rock like asmodeus said.

13. rocksta

john mayers 'daughters'

an sum1 pls send me strum pattern for daughters pls???
    i think i get the pattern but cant seem to hold it when moving along the chords

14. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

jekyll was being sarcastic :p:

15. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

rocksta:channel v an mtv being our music channels dont seem to do much huh?

MTV and ch V suck . I'd say VH1 and B4U are far better music channels ...but neither are they doing a bit a promote indian rock :(

16. rocksta

tru man ..mtv has fukin killed rock. an vh1 too got a whole show on hip-hop (skin..etc) but nuthin on rock. wy dont they start a channel completely for rock?
    b4u s grren channel is amazin huh..they were the 1st to show audioslaves be urself".
    but still as u say ..no promotion.
    any ppl in corporates readin this gotta do sumthin man!
    2days paper say zeros playin in colaba..but wat d fuk..they playin eagles an stuff!
    they themselves got sum amazin songs ,then wy covers??

17. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Good point @ rocksta, but if they make a seperate channel for rock nobody will watch that except for people like us. It might aswell turn into a channel for the elite audience or whatever.

18. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

^^ Yeah... so we come back to the bashing...

Hmm... you know, it requires MONEY to make a good enough video to get aired on any channel. For MONEY, you require a good PRODUCER or INVESTOR. ANd I really don't see any Indian Sound label pumping in enough into our very own Rock...

Yeah, SLEDGE, PDV, PENTAGRAM, METAKIX all have come under INDIAN labels, but still, where are the videos? THe last time I recall seeing an Indian Rock Band VIDEO was on SS Music = Avial..

19. rocksta

wat d hell is ss music man? must kill my cable operator.

20. jekyll

jekyll Banned

SS channel ... they keep on showing Jams n gigs happeneing in Chennai n Bangalore ...

but saale ... they are polluting our Indian Culture by doing all this ...