Thought For The day

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by esgallindeion, Aug 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

Each generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it.
    — George Orwell

2. esgallindeion

"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."
    - Douglas Adams

3. esgallindeion

"Some love comes unbidden like winds from the sea, most grow from the seeds of friendship."
    - Raymond E. Feist

4. esgallindeion

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

5. esgallindeion

"Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."
    - Winston Churchill

6. esgallindeion

"You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing -- that's what counts. I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something."
    - Richard Feynman

7. esgallindeion

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats!"
    - Henry Louis Mencken

8. esgallindeion

You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
    - George Bernard Shaw

9. esgallindeion

"To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow."
    - Metrodorus of Chios

10. esgallindeion

"For my part I know nothing with any certainty but the sight of the stars makes me dream."
    - Van Gogh

11. esgallindeion

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

12. esgallindeion

"How poor are they who have not patience! What wound did ever heal but by degrees."
    - William Shakespeare

13. esgallindeion

"I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who overcomes his enemies. "
    - Aristotle

14. esgallindeion

"This is the final test of a gentleman: His respect for those who can be of no possible service to him."
    — William Lyon Phelps

15. esgallindeion

"Mankind censure injustice fearing that they may be the victims of it, and not because they shrink from committing it."
    - Plato

16. esgallindeion

"Live all you can - it's a mistake not to. It doesn't so much matter what you do in particular, so long as you have your life. If you haven't had that, what have you had?"
    - Henry James

17. esgallindeion

"I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance that I should have been by any epaulet I could have worn."
    - Henry David Thoreau

18. esgallindeion

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

19. esgallindeion

"Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood."
    - H. L. Mencken

20. esgallindeion

"A man who does not lose his reason over certain things has none to lose."
    — Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.