This songs is in Bm scale?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by abj_itbhu, Jul 25, 2009.

1. abj_itbhu

abj_itbhu New Member

hi i am abhishek jain
    this is my first post .

what do we mean when we say this songs is in Bm scale.
    does that mean all the chords played in the song are those corresponding to the notes of Bm scale
    or it is like the chords which r mostly played shoud be of Bm scale.
    or else the song should start with Bm chord

2. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

"The chords which are mostly played should be of Bm scale" is the closest to to the right answer, but not exactly right.

Scales are a sequence of notes, like the Indian sa-re-ga-ma. The scale can be minor or major but the notes are not minor or major. They're just notes.

Songs are in keys. The key represents the scale to an extent, and tells you what chords will fit in.

If a song is in the key of Bm, the chords it will have will
    a) Correspond to the notes of the Bm scale
    b) Be major or minor or diminished.

So if the Bm scale has the notes
    B C# D E F# G A

Then the chords will also be those, but which one is major and which one is minor is what you have to work out. In this case the chords will be Bm C#dim D Em F#m G A

This may seem complicated, but try and get an idea. In general, a major key has 7 chords (just like a scale has 7 notes):
    I - the tonic
    ii
    iii
    IV - the subdominant
    V - the dominant
    vi
    vii(dim)

Each of those Roman numerals has a name, but for now those 3 are the most important chords of any key. Capitals mean major chords, small letters indicate minor chords. (dim) indicates a diminished chord.

Now the minor key will be
    i ii(dim) III iv v VI VII

This is because a minor key is basically counting the major key from the 6th note. The key of Bm is basically the same as the key of D major. If you want to try and understand this, then read about major and relative minor scales for a basic overview. If you already know what relative minor is then you probably know what I'm trying to convey.

Things to read about
    1. Major and relative minor scales
    2. Keys in music

3. distorted

distorted satan

Search the forum... There r lots of threads dedicated to discussions on scales...

4. distorted

distorted satan

Search the forum... There r lots of threads dedicated to discussions on scales...