this classical music is hard stuff

Discussion in 'Pakistani Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by Imranyou2k5, Jul 31, 2005.

1. FaWaD

FaWaD New Member

i dont think so lahori_rocker.. there are lots of other stupid things going on in this site.. atleast we are still dealing in music field..

Tabish.. i didnt get what u meant.. i've heard different raags build up alaap or something.. but anyways i'll be waiting for the stuff from Imran..

2. Imranyou2k5

Imranyou2k5 New Member

sorry i havent posted the thing ive been bz i will prob like wed or thursday

3. guitarangela

guitarangela gran'ma

i have taken classical music lessons when i was 11 or 12.......and, i thought it was so boring.......so i left it, but now i feel like i should have learned more......
    i think it is a good decision to learn classical music....atlest, we won't forget our old culture.........

4. FaWaD

FaWaD New Member

well i think it really builds up ur musical knowledge.. look at Paki Pop.. alot of ppl use alaaps in their songs.. So basically they all hav classical understanding.. i always found it boring but since i've made friends with my guitar a few months ago, i've started respecting everything that builds up music more.. u guys in Pak/Ind are lucky to get hang of music teachers.. i have to learn everything by myself.. and thats y i m here.. i hope it works out well.. [:p]

5. Tabish

Tabish New Member

fawad as you are cocern towards raag ....i paste some basics of it dont remember where i found it.....

What is a Raag?

Classical music is based on the system of scales or modes known as raags. A raag can be broadly defined as a series of musical notes which are systematically organised within a scale. Each raag has a certain set of notes which have to be adhered to. The ascending order of musical notes are called the 'Aaroh' and the descending order is known as 'Avrohi'. Raags can use both flat or sharp notes and the number of notes within each scale can vary. Each raag has a note which is most frequently used and this is known as the 'vaadi', the note which supports the 'vaadi' is known as the 'samvadi'. A Raag may be characterized by phrases of notes known as 'pakar' which describe the movement known as 'chalan' of the raag.

The following five raags are considered to be popular with listeners of both classical and light forms of music.

Aiman or known as Yaman. An early evening raag which comprises of seven notes. Raag Aiman is derived from the Kalyan Thath. Its vadi note is Ga and samvadi is Ni. Its unique feature is the use of the sharp Ma note.

Ascent. Sa Re Ga Ma (Sharp) Pa Dha Ni Sa Descent. Sa Ni Dha Pa Ma (Sharp) Ga Re Sa.
    Vaadi. Ga Samvadi.Ni
    Chalan. Sa Re- Sa- Sa Re Ga- Re Ga- Ni Re Ga- Re Ga- Ni Re Ga- Re Sa- Sa Re Ga Re Sa- Ni Dha Pa Ma Dha Ni Dha Ni- Re Ga Re Sa. Pakar. Ni Re Ga Re Sa. Ma Re Ga Re Sa (special taan)

Malkauns. Malkauns belongs to the Bhairvin thath and consists of five notes. Re and Pa notes are omitted from this raga.Ga, Dha and Ni are Komal Swaras. Its vadi is Ma and samvadi is Sa. The raag is performed during the night.

Ascent. Sa Ga (flat) Ma Dha Ni (flat) Sa. Descent. Sa Ni (flat) Dha (flat) Ma Ga (flat) Sa.
    Vaadi. Ma Samvadi. Sa
    Chalan. Ma Ma Ga Ni Sa Ni Ma ni Dha Ma Dha Ni Sa Ma Ma Ga Sa. Pakar. Ni dha ni sa- sa ma ga- ga ma- dha ma- ga sa.

Darbari. A very famous raag, said to be created by the celebrated Mian Tansen. Darbari belongs to the Asavari thath, its Vadi is Re and Samvadi is Pa. Ga is weak in ascent and Dha is avoided in the descent. It is sung mostly in the lower and middle octaves. Its time of performance is late night usually during midnight. The speciality of the raag is that Ga and Dha are performed with "Andolan", in a way which seems that the notes are gliding.

Ascent. Ni Sa Re Ga (flat) Re Sa Ma Pa Dha (flat) Ni (flat) Sa Descent. Sa Dha (flat) Ni (flat) Pa Ma Pa Ga (flat) Ma Re Sa.
    Vaadi. Re Samvadi. Pa
    Chalan. Re Sa re ni sa re dha ni pa Dha ni Sa Re sa re ni sa re- ga-ga ma re- Sa ni Sa re- dha ni-pa-ni pa-dha-ni sa Pakar. Sa dha ni pa- ma pa- dha ni- re sa ga.

Megh. One of the oldest raags in Indian classical music. Megh belongs to the kafi thath and is associated with the rainy season. Notes Ga and dha are omitted in this raag. Its vadi is Sa and samvadi is Pa.

Ascent. Sa Ma Re Pa Ma Pa Ni (flat) Sa Descent. Sa Ni (flat) Pa Ma Re Sa
    Vaadi. Sa Samvadi. Pa
    Chalan. Re Sa Ni Sa- Re-Sa-Re-Pa- Ma Re Re Sa. Sa Re Re- Ma Re- Ma Ma- Ni Pa -Pa Ni- Ma Pa- Ma Re- Pa Ma Re- Sa-Re-Re Sa Pakar. Re Re Sa Ni Sa- Ma Re Pa- Ma Re Ni Sa.

Bhairvin. Raag Bhairvin is one of the most popular ragas amongst the masses. It is an early morning raag but due to its immense popularity, musicians perform it at any time of the day. It belongs to the Bhairvin thath and is more associated with light classical genres such as thumris and ghazals. Many folk and film melodies are composed in this raag. The raag uses flat notes but some musicians make use of sharp notes to add beauty.

Ascent. Sa Re (flat), Ga (flat), Ma Pa Ga (flat), Ma Pa Dha (flat), Ni (flat), Sa. Descent. Sa Ni (flat), Dha (flat), Pa Ma Ga (flat), Re (flat) Sa.
    Vaadi. Sa Samvadi. Ma or either Pa.
    Chalan. Dha Dha Pa Ma Ga Ma Ga Re Sa- Dha Ni Sa Ga Ma Dha Dha Pa Ga Ma Ga Re Sa. Pakar. Ma- Ga- Sa Re Sa- Sa Re Sa- Dha Ni Sa.

6. FaWaD

FaWaD New Member

wow thats a gr8 post.. i gotta read it again and again to get it.. i kno it wont be clear without an audio eg but then again.. thanks heaps Tabish..

7. cooolguy

cooolguy New Member

here you go, this is the ultimate ultimate resource for anything north Indian classical. has a lot of Raags, thats, and basics. She is my vocal instructor as well. If you are really interested, you can purchase her textbook at 35 bucks (US) on Amazon or something. It has all the basics of classical indian music.

https://www.chandrakantha.com/

She was also the instructor of Mauli Dave from Sa Re Ga Ma Pa 2007 (although mauli sucked but whatever). Reps baby reps!

Also, you can pm me and I could try answer any questions about musical stuff I can. The posting about using a guitar tuner is a pretty dumb idea btw.

8. razzlayla

razzlayla New Member

dude im looking for chords for ghulam ali's yeh dil yeh pagal dil mera ... can u help !!!!