The Truth About “true Bypass ”

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by alpha1, Sep 28, 2006.

1. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

THE TRUTH ABOUT “TRUE BYPASS ” (and some other goodies).
    by B. Andrew Barta
    President
    Tech 21 USA, Inc.

Lately, everyone keeps asking if our pedals are “true bypass.” There’s been a lot of (successful)
    hype about it, which has led to the blind belief that true bypass is the crème de la crème. After
    years of researching and evaluating circuit designs, I came to the conclusion a long time ago that
    true bypass is not exactly “true.”

read this for more info: https://www.tech21nyc.com/tech_notes/technotesFrameset.html

2. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Does that mean true Bypass is fake and its just for marketting ?
    Or it is real but not as true as it is made to be understood ?

:mad:

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Dunno, but tr00 bypass, in real sense, is not good.

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Anyway, the best test for tr00 bypass is to check while your pedal is not on power (ie no battery, no power source), and if in bypass mode the guitar signal reaches next effect/amp, it is a tr00 bypass.

5. cronix

cronix New Member

Blah Blah Blah Blah

6. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Crap.....He has deliberately cut down the information. As a trick he is suggesting that people should use DPDT switches for true bypass. To my knowledge all the pedals that come today with True Bypass are either using DPDT switch or 3PDT which means they can include an LED switching too. I have a big lot of these 3PDT switches and I know how it works. The loading effects are true if we use a series of True Bypass pedals. My ideal pedal chain will have a mix of True Bypass and Active Bypass and the first pedal in the chain being an active bypass pedal, so that the pickup is not loaded. The output impedances of the pedals are pretty low normally, so a true bypass along the chain is okay and again another active bypass pedal at the end of the chain, so that the low output impedance is maintained.

7. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Ronnie Baba,the AMT pedals u have also have true bypass as stated on their website.Does it effect the tone when u switch it off ?

8. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Oh sh*t I forgot.

Ronnie BaBa ki JAI !!!

9. Ibanezed

Ibanezed New Member

Ron ..u rule man , i wonder why you dun accept yourself

10. ronnieanand

There's something fishy here....AMT Distortion Pedals also come with an inbuilt Cabinet Simulator, so that you can connect them to your PC for direct recording. When the Pedal is not supplied with power, then the input should reach the output if it were a mechanical bypass or a true bypass. But with AMT Pedals it's not the case. Inputs reach the output only if the pedal is powered. Which makes me to draw two conclusions..
    1. AMT Pedals are not true bypass and they are using a wrong terminology to mislead people.

or

2. They are using true bypass switching but the cabinet simulator comes after the switch which means the AMT engineers are dumb enough to keep some circuit after the output of the switch thus screwing up the idea of true bypass.

In either ways..It's not true bypass...Either it's a marketting trick or their engineers are dumb.

I once opened my Fatal Tube to see the kind of switch they have used. It's definitely not a 3PDT switch which is the popular true bypass switch with LED switching.

11. ronnieanand

When did I not accept myself....:shock: :shock: :shock:

12. Ibanezed

Ibanezed New Member

hmm ..in a y! chat maybe ..
    anyway ..you put those technical brains to work by joining sm reputed co like say gibson :D or start your own rondal ..! btw ..its rondal right?

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Of course, its Rondall.
    Don't try to be so pretentious, Mr Alter ID.

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

What I reckon is that they are using teh market terminology about which the Tech21 guy has written.

Tr00 bypass is not as tr00, as advertised.

15. Ibanezed

Ibanezed New Member

are you jealous dude :grin:? you wanna know who i am ..or you wanna create another alter id for yourself than the existing one?

16. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LOL
    I AM an alter ego.
    I am schizophrenic too. ;)

17. Double Click

Double Click New Member

:NoNo:

Ronnie baba ki avatar ki jai :D

18. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

I just checked today..my Rocktron Silver Dragon is true bypass as advertised..it allows the signal through when not powered and absolutely no tonal difference from direct.
    @Ronnie..dude i still need your help to open this thing and put in a new tube:help:
    Smoking avatar BTW.

19. Ibanezed

Ibanezed New Member

can anyne enlightn me whats this true bypass?

20. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

U dare disrespect RONNIE BABA :NoNo: .....................but hell who can ignore her ;)