The Prog Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by dennis, Jul 8, 2005.

1. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

haha...who told you psychadelic isnt progressive. Most prog bands are inherently psychadelic.
    And Velvet Revolver aint prog.
    DT is the best:D
    I find Symphony X boring.

2. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

hey dennis ,
    <quote>haha...who told you psychadelic isnt progressive. Most prog bands are inherently psychadelic.</quote>

uhh..the structure of phycadelic songs and progressive songs are different . they also sound different ..atleast thats wat i feel ..

3. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

4. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs &amp; Pasta

^^ Death metal has unconventional song structures (much like progressive metal). Does that make them prog?

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I call them prog
    :p:

6. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Unconventional in what way??...unusual time structures is just one component of prog. A band may play death metal but may have prog influences in their music.

7. shsnawada

no. Not just time signature changes but deviating from verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge... structure, which is your run of the mill song.

8. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Is there really a point to this thread? Beyond a point labelling bands is utterly futile.
    I mean do 'In the court of the Crimson King' and 'Three of a Perfect Pair' even sound like the same band?
    Bands progress and play wildly different things at different points of time. Like a song or an album and move on without having to pigeonhole them.

9. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

@shna- again as I said prog influences
    @abhijit- the point of this thread is not to go genre bashing, but to discuss bands(and their albums) who classify themselves as progressive rock musicians. For Eg. Crimson, ELP etc. Progressive Rock is a thriving genre just like Extreme Metal.

10. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Yeah that bit is ok. I'm just irritated by all this sniping on most threads: 'X band is not Y genre, it is Z.2xzibit or whatever' and it turns into a huge fight.
    I'm ok with discussing prog rock bands in general-I am a prog fan too after all. And the comment wasn't directed at you. Peace:)

11. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

lo...no problemo bro.
    You checked out Ayreon- The Human Equation??

alpha1 likes this.
  12. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

Dream Theater and Pink Floyd (haven't heard any more :think: )

13. Theguitarist

Theguitarist New Member

My prog list:
    1.Pink Floyd
    2.Grateful dead
    3.Dream theater

Strange :annoyed: .No one mentioned Grateful dead.

14. shsnawada

I wanted to check them out but couldnt.

15. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

aisa kya ho gaya??

16. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Stuff I am listening to these days:
    Riverside: Second Life Syndrom
    Gentle Giant: Octopus, In a glass house, TH epower and the Glory
    King Crimson: Discipline
    Zappa: Hot Rats
    Supertramp: Crime of the Century

17. shsnawada

Old Porcupine Tree kicks ass. (more than the new albums IMO)

18. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

I suggest you check out Riverside, its kinda like Tool, but somehow i like it better.
    I could never get into Porcupine Tree, i donno why. I tried In Absentia but it sounded verry flimsy. Ill plan to give it another listen.

19. shsnawada

Hmm, will check them out (a week) later when i actually have a real computer

But try, the sky moves sideways by PT. Thats very different from In Absentia and probably, youll like it much more.

20. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

will do.