The Pinkie finger in fingerpicking

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by ijlal, Jan 7, 2005.

1. ijlal

ijlal The B chord

hi all
    i just started using fingerpicking...
    well my problem is this that i rest my pinkie finger on the body of guitar not on the top of strings, since i dont use it...
    After playing some time my pinkie starts to hurt...it pains :think: ...
    well is this correct practice to rest the pinkie on the body and i should get used to it or it should on the top of strings like other fingers.??
    regards

2. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

As a rule no finger should rest on the body of the guitar. They should be hovering above the strings. If your finger hurts, rest for a while and then once it's ok, play again. In time your finger will become stronger.

3. Subhro

Subhro Argentina lost :"(

Hi ijjal..

if u r intrstd finger pickin & stuff..
    well chk out this link.. it has got some lessons 4 beginners..

https://www.wholenote.com/default.as...=2603&p=1

it was there that i also read that ur pinky shudn't be resting on ur guitar.. it should be floatin like the rest of ur fingers..

as death put it.. rest 4 a while & then start all ovr again :)

bye tk cre..
    Subhro.

4. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

tell Mark Knopfler that

5. Subhro

Subhro Argentina lost :&quot;(

Hi Rabi :)

u talkin abt the pinky restin on the guitar or the fingers hurtin .. which 1 wud bother mark Knopfler most :think: sorry 4 bein dumb :p:
    nywyz.. that guy is amazing.. the way he plays he makes it look like its no big deal :)

6. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

well what dmf said is true !!!

the second reason can be , since you mentioned that you have juss stared finger picking , to get the strums right maybe you are putting too much pressure on ur pinky finger , hope you get me !!! probably with practise and over the period it will be much easier for you and you will get rid of resting habit !!

7. rabi_sultan

watch Video clips of Mark Knopfler his fingerstyle is different as he only uses the middle, index and thumb to play everything. The rest of his hand including his pinky is resting on the guitar. Not the orthodox method but it doesn't mean its "incorrect".

8. bob-bobby

thats y i mentioned the second problem !!

9. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

@rabi_sultan: Why teach someone an orthodox method? Loads of guitarists use orthodox techniques and some are fairly good at using them. But, if someone is just new at picking up the guitar, he/she should learn what is traditional and adjust technique if and only if required. Maybe I took my statement a bit too far with the "as a rule" part. Maybe I should have put it as "generally speaking"...I apologise.

10. rabi_sultan

That's what i was getting at. ;)

But in any case if a person wants to take up fingerstyle then the three forms of music that dominate the fingerplucking are classical spanish, country/bluesgrass and blues. Both have a different technique (from what I have seen).

Players like Chet Atkins fall into the middle group of country/bluesgrass, meanwhile players like Knopfler fall into both country/bluesgrass and blues. As for Jeff Beck that guy could play anything :rock:

11. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

lol...this is the first time i hv head dmf apologizing on something. :p:...

however, i agree wid him, if u wanna teach someone ...teach wat is universally accepted, something which is technically 100% correct. if u know wat i am saying.
    after a while ...a player will automatically come to know which style is most comfortable to him or maybe come up wid his own unique style....;)

12. rabi_sultan

i don't disagree with not teaching the orthodox approach but then you shouldnt say its the only approach. in any case when you do adopt one approach it becomes more difficult to break out of it and play a completely different style imo.

For instance playing like Knopfler is radically different than other ways purely due to the hand placement. plus there was another one who only used to use his thumb (forget his name and i think he was a blues/jazz guitarist)

13. fictional_real

^^yeah, i get wat u say. once u get a appropriate style of playing..its frustrating and chanllenging to play and adopt a new style....however, orthodox approach is the best approach 4 a beginner.

14. nadish

nadish Active Member

I'm also facing the same problem... I'll try this exercise too

15. fictional_real

best thing is when u feel pain in ur fingers or any discomfort. stop playing. and when you feel good...start playing again. this is a standard approach in any field of physical activities done by human beings.

16. bob-bobby

^^^ but the catch here is KEEP PLAYING , isnt it FR ...

i still repeat since you are new to fingerpicking , u might be overstressing the pinkie finger causing pain - anyways once you get the basics and its normal , you can develop your own style too ...

rabi would probably give your examples to others by then :p:

17. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Rajscorps was the expert on finger picking, he sure shared some pretty good info with me:)

18. rabi_sultan

what was the exact reason he left ?