The Neo Cons of Mylapore!!!!

Discussion in 'Carnatic Music of South India' started by jayswami, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

2. golisoda

golisoda Comfortably Numb

I am no great musician to comment on SR's music but I pity her that she cant even pronounce some of those words in Nagumomu..... In the end the whole meaning of worship was lost, I have nothing against fusion but what abt bhavam...It looks like she is seducing someone with that song.... Sorry to be offtopic..... I hope that what ever music comes out of your band leaves the sanctity and essence of the song.... I guess some kid of future might think thyagaraja was singing a romantic or seductive song.....if she becomes popular...

My two cents...

I think in that forum more than music..... egos clashed a lot.

3. golisoda

This reminds me of Pablo Fransisco's stand up comedy joke..... where he makes mockery of Americans at pubs swinging and dancing to Death Metal songs having lyrics 'why dont you kill me'....Quite funny when people ignorant of the essence of the song swing to it....

4. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

5. golisoda

Yah read that....its more of ego and chauvunism showing off......narendra modi of south india.......

6. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

This is disgusting for just one reason - she is USING the existing mystique of Indian classical music to popularize her so called fusion. If the only music one can make is by taking parts from different places and mixing them, the least they can do is be respectful of the tradtions. otherwise don't copy. use ur own lyrics, ur own music ur own stuff. but I guess she doesn't have the talent to do that.
    This is just like the movie directors in hollywood USING the mystique associated with India and showing Indians riding elephants and charming snakes n stuff (in the old movies) - any decent Indian would hate that. Just like any decent carnatic fan would hate this.

7. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

Besides I don't know why the same people that watch this nonsense don't go and listen to guys like Prasanna and Mandolin Srinivas. They make carnatic exciting and they do it properly. How screwed up their taste must be.

8. loser

loser Banned

dude if she aint good, she wont become popular.

9. hs07

hs07 New Member

I can't believe she screwed up every single "Indian" song on that 1 hour video !! I think her album is called "Love Trap", can't help but think of a bad pun on the word "trap" - ppl who buy her record are trapped into listening to crap (yeah yeah its a bad pun, but that's the idea).

I guess no harm in improvising if its done tastefully and sounds good !

10. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

11. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

The harm is that she uses the same lyrics as tyagaraja to the point of singing "tyagarajanuta" which is disgusting. let her write her own lyrics and sing "susheela ramanutha" then I won't complain.

12. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

dude rabbi shergill sang bulla ki jaana main kaun.. and not rabbi ki jaana main kaun no sufis got disgusted.. whats so disgusting? its copyright free lyrics.

13. Subhro

Subhro Argentina lost :"(

i chkd out ur link.. i hav no doubt whtsoevr tht if u ppl r givn a weapon and made 2 face each othr none of u wud be alive 2 post in tht forum nymore.

14. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

jay,

i think its really sad you started this topic here. Sr is horrible, and people there were reacting to the fact that you thought the idea was cool. Some people just got carried away and used extreme sentences to explain the same. What you did was wrong though. you cant force your opinion on others, and you definately cannot poke someone and expect them not to react. I hope you realise that those people might have a point. your being just as nasty as he is.

please take this thread out of the carnatic music thread. learn to appreciate carnatic music more, not ridicule it!

15. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

no i dont kill. i will just die. i wont kill even to defend myself. neo cons do the killing... modi, bush, rumsfeld, jayendra saraswati,bin laden etc.

16. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

ok jay...lets leave shankaracharya out of this. Im sure a christian will never speak ill of the pope no matter what he does. hindus are definately the passive lot.
    neways..that guy is dumb. hes just saying stuf to instigate u even more, and unfortunately u are. just compose your jana gana mana, and play it. send him a recording if you wish(i wouldnt, who cares about some psycho guy), but dont think everyone is like that...im not:(.

17. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

Neo Cons of Mylapore- cool album name :p:, or even a band name :p:

18. Subhro

Subhro Argentina lost :"(

cool ... aftr u r dead we can hav a Jayswami forum in igt dedicated 2 u n ur mp3s. :p:

19. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

Too many off topic posts
    please close the thread

20. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

you know that I've argued against purists before, in support of tamil film music. Anybody can play around with any kind of music. but theres a right way to do it. that is largely a personal opinion, but I'm entitled to it. I like what Ilayaraja, Rahman, L shankar, L subramaniam etc. do with carnatic music. but not this.
    and the fact that you would retort by "sticking to 3 chord punk" implies inherently that you think carnatic is more intricate. but what SR has done is convert it into 3 chord punk rock. thats like painting caramel over an apple. only kids will like it. let her do what she wants but let her not give the impression taht she is singing classical carnatic. (which she is, cos I have received msgs in another forum from some guy abt her saying that he likes her music and carnatic is so nice blah blah which is ridiculous)
    Besides, I would feel equally bad if someone took stairway to heaven or shine on and screwed it up. music and genres don't have opinions - people do. I don't care if someone threatens to kill you. thats your personal problem, it is not reflective of carnatic music or its patrons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.