The Music Recommendation Thread

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by Morbid_Angel, Nov 15, 2011.

1. pratz90

pratz90 New Member

2. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I'm sure this has been debated endlessly but I'll put my thoughts in here as well and compare it to the original by Deep Purple:

I haven't listened to Opeth much as a band. I know I should...but somehow, it's a mental block because someone I don't like recommended them to me. I know I will someday (probably soon). Anyway, I really love the song and I didn't think this was a great cover...to me, a band should stamp their sound on a cover and make it their own (as cliched as it might sound). If I wanted to listen to this version, I would listen to Deep Purple. I'd keep looking for Blackmore's slides on this...and the vocals seem weaker on this (or maybe just different?). I'd much rather listen to someone change it around when they do a cover.

I'm not allowed to listen to this where I live. Damn the first world. Is this the same one:

Apocalyptica Live in Paris 2010 - Not strong enough - YouTube

I thought this was pretty cool the way they did it with cellos(?). I don't like the vocalist much for some reason...he can go high but voicewise, I think he's meh-ish. Overall, that killed the song for me. I really like their cover of Nothing Else Matters though.

hope u enjoy 'em[/QUOTE]

3. harmonizer

harmonizer The Son of the Moon

The Cranberries - Zombie

4. harmonizer

harmonizer The Son of the Moon

if u like Sirenia try these :
    Lithium and the Lover
    In a Manica
    First We Take Manhattan

5. komal29

komal29 New Member

what a wicked song! n what beautiful lyrics :)

You think I'll run, not walk, to you
    Why would I want to talk to you?
    I want you crawling back to me
    Down on your knees, yeah
    Like an appendectomy
    Sans anesthesia

If you think you can leave the past behind
    You must be out of your mind
    If you think you can simply press rewind
    You must be out of your mind, son
    You must be out of your mind

You want what you've turned off turned on
    You call it sunset, now it's dawn
    You can't go 'round just saying stuff
    Because it's pretty
    And I no longer drink enough
    To think you're witty

You want to kindle that old flame
    I don't remember your real name
    It must be something scandalous
    Lurks in your shadows
    If you need a Santa Claus
    To buy your gallows

6. Sumanovo razor

Sumanovo razor New Member

7. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

i'll agree with you that i prefer the original by deep purple as well. imo opeth are way better at what they do in their own field and they should've stuck to that. prime example: Opeth - When - YouTube from their 1998 album My Arms, Your Hearse. the dynamics in their sound, use of progressive and folk elements and the atmosphere they create is what set them apart. even though it's part of a concept album the lyrics are still cool to sing along to

@komal
    thank you! glad you liked the song :grin: you should check out this one as well, although it's usually more of a man's emotion :p: : THE MAGNETIC FIELDS - SEDUCED AND ABANDONED. - YouTube

8. komal29

komal29 New Member

hey..am sure the song perfectly qualifies as a woman's emotion too..the lyrics is quite gender neutral..n women do refer their men as 'baby'..as far as i know n women drink too :p:..very nice n simple song..thanks..nevertheless am referring this song to all the 'devadas' men i know :dance:;):rock:

Seduced and abandoned and baby makes two,
    Baby, abandoned by you
    Seduced and abandoned and what can I do?
    I think I might drink a few

Seduced with a grin,
    I was taken all in
    Taken in sin
    And in shame
    Seduced by a smile,
    I walked down the aisle,
    Then waited awhile;
    No one came...

repeat Chorus

Abandoned to weep
    I collapsed in a heap,
    Dutifully sleep-
    ing all day
    Abandoned to die
    I did nothing but cry
    In my one-ply
    Negligee...
    repeat Chorus

Yes, I think I might drink a few
    And maybe the baby will too

9. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

10. Morbid_Angel

stumbled upon these guys by pure luck:

Dulaman - Omnia - YouTube

pagan-folk band from the netherlands incorporating musical cultures from many different countries like ireland and persia. enjoy :grin:

11. Morbid_Angel

also, for anyone who heard the previous song (Burn by Neurosis) i'd posted:

Neurosis - Aeon - YouTube

this is from their much older album and portrays a darker, rawer and dissonant side of their sound. a truly shaking experience

12. komal29

komal29 New Member

I love this awsome song 'Feeling Good' and it was originally by Nina simone and later covered many many times..

Nina Simone/ Feeling Good - YouTube -Nina simone,her voice sounds so much like a dude..if a first timer hears it without knowing the artist..the person would automatically assume it to be a guy's voice..nevertheless...powerful voice..n the best version for me

Muse - Feeling Good (Video) - YouTube - muse cover

Michael Bublé - "Feeling Good" [Official Music Video] - YouTube -michael buble cover

Jennifer Hudson - 'Feeling Good' Live on Dick Clark's New Years Rockin' Eve (Dec 31, 2010) - YouTube -jennifer hudson cover

13. Vader

Vader New Member

^^
    I like all three versions of this song...
    I'm slightly biased to the Michael Bublé one but it maybe cause i heard that version first

14. komal29

komal29 New Member

hmm..but just a personal opinion..his song video makes no sense at all!! :p:

15. komal29

komal29 New Member

16. komal29

komal29 New Member

when i clicked on the link..youtube notified
    "ALVIN LEE - ..."
    This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement from claimants including:
    • Range Road Music Inc
    • chris spheeris
    • chris spheeris
    and i searched again and watched :)..nice lyrics and song..thanks

17. komal29

komal29 New Member

18. Vader

Vader New Member

19. horsesmouth

horsesmouth Active Member

20. Sumanovo razor

Sumanovo razor New Member