The most stolen object in Mumbai

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by lord_neo, Sep 10, 2005.

1. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

A staggering 1,500 manhole covers — costing a cool Rs 75,00,000 — get stolen in Mumbai every year. And these are conservative estimates, the real figure could easily be double this. But more interestingly, rarely, if ever, any arrests are made in connection with these thefts.

The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) officers are required to lodge a complaint for every manhole cover theft with the concerned police station.

They must attach a copy of this police complaint with the requisition for a replacement cover. Thousands of such complaints are now lying with the police but the detection rate is close to zero.

The corporation has tried everything to prevent these thefts from chaining the manhole covers to the concrete inside, to covering them entirely with cement concrete but to no avail.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1226557.cms

2. smoking guitar

smoking guitar Former rapper now rocker

Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away!

people tekth and fall into ith

heard man in the box and now mumbai in holes

3. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

nice article neo , i ve heard about it before also , its a big business in india and other places i guess - the damn thing is made of iron and if you see india's import of scraps from worldwide you ll be amazed !!!

it can be a scam of the industries who melt the thing to make their own finish products , this will be the cheapest raw material available for them as they would be buying at per kg terms or something like that !!! nice info anyways ....

4. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

yea....read dis article in todays paper....really sad...heard a lot of dis has been happenin near powai and areas...

basically the companies who buy this stuff melt the lid and use it to mould other steel stuff...

5. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

hah i already read that article today morning!:p:

6. 7miles

7miles ____7miles to success____

ooo .. i think music get stolen often coz music directors lik anu mallick is there :p:

7. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

:p:....^^lolz...I'd laugh at Mr. 7miles's..post..
    anway, manholes??..Sh|t..what happened to mumbai yaar??..Not expected thiz !!

8. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

^whats your siggy??......it looks like ducks swimming!

9. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

lolz..yes.....DUCKs SWIMMIng In my SigGY....I am working on it since evening..:)
    Hope you guys understand it..:p:

10. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

it looks crap

11. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

LOL
    cypher when are we having polls on .:k:. for MOD?

12. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

even if we do...it wont last for long

13. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

yeah .. .there was one thread created on firday ... it was somethign like ...

dedicated to all the spammers ... needless to say that first post was the last post ... n doc closed the threas :phbbt: