The history of IGT?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by guitardoctor, Jul 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flood

flood New Member

i hope i become a mod so i can ban whoever i feel like whenever i feel like from wherever i feel like.

2. guns n roses

guns n roses Pro Guitarist

IGT used to be so bad ass back when it was Indianguitartabs.CC

We were super tight knit, everyone helped each other out whether we were looking for tabs, help learning a song, or just help in general. Mods, admins, everyone was very active. It really was like a flourishing city but I don't know what happened. A lot of people left and very few of us 'old timers' still exist. I still love this place, I come on once in a while but it does feel deserted now. Anyhow I miss the old days :'(

What really blows my mind is when I signed up for IGT.CC, I had 56k Dial up connection. There was no FaceBook (or at least it was not popular). No Twitter. Myspace was just blooming and YouTube was just catching fire. It's been 7 years and now we have shit like Justin Beiber. .Twitter. . .Chat Roulette. . It's amazing how much the internet has changed and grown over 7 years. I have pretty fast internet now too LOL.

3. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

So what can WE, the non-mod, non-admin members do to get that back?

I think we need to start by ignoring all the people hoo tyep liek dis, and put a notice to that effect.
    (Let there be some culture and intelligence around.)
    Keep the notice bumped till the mods/admins notice and sticky it.
    If they delete it, we start it again.
    If they ban some of us, we make second accounts, or the ones who are left will continue the work.
    If they ban all of us, we start "IGT Reloaded" - which will be idiot-free (mostly) like Freq20.com, and frequently DDoS this site.

All of our other efforts to change the community should go like this. Strictly ignoring (I was gonna include flaming and trolling, but NO. That'll only lead to pointless, unproductive threads, and nothing is solved. Read on to see how ignoring can work.) a person is our only weapon and punishment. We can't ban, we can't delete posts, but we CAN ignore. And a person who's boycotted all around in a forum will definitely not stay there long = ban. We can post and we can ignore. Use these weapons wisely, we should have it going :)

Basically, if they support our efforts and maybe even become active through example, it's good.
    If they don't, better, we'll get to start afresh.

But nothing, NOTHING will happen if the intelligent, helpful, knowledgeable, and close-knit-community-wanting members aren't there.

https://membres.multimania.fr/fredrichung/forum/arise, my btards join the revolution.jpg

@flood - Will you become the leader and policy definer of the hordes? :D

4. flood

flood New Member

eh, you can't really. this is simply what happens to a lot of forums, like it or not. they peak and then collapse. look at what happened to gigpad and RSJ. a forum NEVER recovers from a slump period. people go elsewhere and forget about it.

also, keep in mind that users don't remain users over years - a lot of them move on, get married, get a promotion, have a kid, stop playing guitar or start playing world tours (JMJ on talkbass.com, but he's more like a "celebrity member" i guess) etc.

third: content. IGT is essentially a forum for people who were looking for desitabs.com.

ah - as if life wasn't short enough.

for reasons stated above, no. i'm a pigeon. forum is statue. events will follow their obvious course till the janitor decides to ban me.

more seriously, all i care about anymore is gear. i'm an active, non-lulzy member of ampgarage and FSB (watch the documentary "the softer side of flood") and lurker and sometimes-poster on a LOT of others, electro-music, musicelectronics, diyaudio, experimentalists anonymous, muff wiggler to name a few. anyway, you've probably observed that none of these forums discuss anything as ridiculous as music, the "scene" and how to save it, LUK GAIZ I M SO K00L METAL GAI!, the grand party in the gaza, or anything. they're practically all music electronics/technology/lo-fi related. freq20 is cool because it's my way of getting back to recording and producing music i guess.

finally, i'm not looking for tabs, least of all for hindi pop. and there are better tabs to summer of 69 elsewhere.

so yeah, count me out, basically.

5. guitardoctor

guitardoctor Will Rx for food

This is good. But I think it's important not to bite the newbies... See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Please_do_not_bite_the_newcomers The wikipedia model does not apply completely to a forum but newbies are usually ignorant about site procedures. When I first used a forum, I had no idea what a sticky was or how to create a new thread.

I think a polite reminder helps. Freedom is the key: if you can't stand chat-talk (I can't, I tend to ignore posts with guys who aren't committed enough to type a few vowels) no one is asking you to help him... Feel free to ignore the douche. It'd be good if there was a sticky with some general info.

I don't think it's supposed to be an "us versus the admin" battle. That's just nuts. Better to bring the admins into the idea, they surely aren't retards who will oppose reform just for the sake of it.

I don't think anyone cares enough to do that.

True that... Ignoring is a good weapon.

Yup.

You know, throw a few more ideas in the bag and and maybe I'll actually follow Gamebore's advice. You can't fight the site owners/head admins. It's their website. You are a user. You can't change it from outside. You can leave it if you get tired of it. But you can't obstruct the labour. They'll just ban your ip and that'll be the end of your sockpuppetry.

It's important for there to be multiple mods for the subforums they're interested in... Like we can have a few mods for the gear subforum from the people who have been here for a while and have proved their commitment and interest... We don't really have to "rescue" the whole website... We can just keep the places we frequent free of shit... If the pilot project works out it can be extended to the rest of the forum.

And yeah, people may leave IGT but more people keep coming, and the noobs of today are the community of the future. But even if we don't give a shit about the future, we can improve this place for now.

6. ultrabot90

^I like how this guy thinks.

And I don't know how flood, the man we all look up to, is sometimes like a reservoir of cynicism x_x

7. guitardoctor

Maybe it's the other way round, he might be right and we might have a misguided idealism (he definitely seems to have experienced a lot more than many people here) but it's worth a shot, I think perhaps?

8. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

You should realise that this site is actually working quite well. There are tabs posted in the various sections every day. Most requests are also honoured and pretty quickly at that. The site is for Indian guitar tabs, and in that respect it more or less delivers.

9. ultrabot90

You said that thing, which no one will admit, but everyone will acknowledge deep down to be true, and the party breaks up sadder and wiser.

Fixed. :D

10. guns n roses

guns n roses Pro Guitarist

The site died after 2007. Most of the older more loyal members departed to do something with their lives. There is no point in trying to revive the site. You should be glad that the Admin still runs the site and hasn't closed it yet.

95% of the members who sign up now post once or twice and then never log back into their accounts because there is not a strong core to the community. It's a lost cause and there is much more productive stuff to do in life instead of sitting on a forum.

11. horsesmouth

horsesmouth Active Member

Of all other forums I like this place the most, 'cause it has had its own share of history and fun. Revival seems such a starry eyed thingie, almost.... impossible. But of-course, impossible does'nt mean it can't happen. :D

I agree with ultrabot, and sometimes we do need to learn 'bout the idea of respecting others opinions, even if they are trolls.

12. flood

flood New Member

i've been active on indian rock forums since '99 or so, i think. perhaps 2000. so i've seen my share of them, and this place is barely redeemable as far as my interests are concerned. it's just interesting once in a while when somebody with a ridiculous gear collection or an oddball amp or effect pops up, and i can get in touch with them or meet them then. it's actually the last place left that i know of where you can discuss gear on a local basis. while i'm at it, i'm happy to contribute here and there.

i would consider opening a forum only dedicated to gear and DIY - but that idea fails completely due to a few reasons - there are EXCELLENT forums already out there, and i'm not sure i want to be active in another "for beginners" place. freq20 already provides me with my fix. for guitar gear, there's www.thegearpage.net, the HC forums, devi ever and DIY wise i'm pretty much sorted with only FSB. if i want/need more, electro-music and musicelectronics are VERY in-depth. also, i'm pretty sure that if i open an indian guitar gear forum, it's going to be flooded with "what can i buy in 15k" threads.

i don't mean to come off as a complete asshat; the truth is, that i really don't want to spend time giving suggestions for shitty budget gear and discussing the possibilities between stranger/marshall MG/roland microcube. i've never owned one of those amps and only played them out of necessity. i don't support there lousy manufacturing ethics and the stupid margins that they're sold to n00bs at. i just couldn't give a shit about cheap gear anymore.

i'll be very honest and declare here for all to read: i'm a LOUSY guitar player. really bad. one of the worst i've heard. some members who've heard my clips of my own playing (thehundrethone has) can verify this. i'm a better DIYer, and i like good gear. i've decided not to spend money on shitty equipment anymore. either i'll build stuff myself, or i'll save up and buy the good stuff. i was planning to sell off my RG for a mex strat, but now i've realised i don't want a mex strat, or any sort of temporary fix... i'm possibly going to head down to pondi in a year or so, meet erisa and check out his guitars and get a strat built to my specs and use only top-notch components and materials - sperzel, mammoth ivory, suhr/fralin/klein/bkp pickups, the works. i don't want to go from one disappointment to another, and i've decided to spend good money on what i want and not on what'S available.

i don't mean to offend anybody or shoot down your idealism, i simply don't want to be part of the endeavours. i'm simply not interested in low-end equipment - GRG/GIO, squier, greg bennet, LTD, BC rich, stranger, marshall MG, kustom, etc. etc. etc. anymore, which are quite the rage on there boards and which are markets are unfortunately FLOODED with. hell, i don't even care about PODs.

again, i'd like to point out that the main function of this forum really is "indian guitar tabs" which is something that none of us are particularly interested in. they're doing pretty well on that front. i'm only interested in gear.

finally, i should be spending a lot more time off the internet and doing some actual work. can't be bothered to invest time in "reshaping" a forum like IGT. i'm not getting any younger...

13. ultrabot90

+1. Holds for me too. It's why I'm not responding to any new threads now, just the old subscribed ones which ain't dead yet.

If I have to reshape this place, I'd rather learn some music and record videos of it and start off a music PLAYING culture around here. I don't get why everyone across the music world is obsessed with gear. I'd rather place equal importance on everything; but then again, I never had too much of an ear for tone. I'm just beginning to understand it, little by little. Still, I'd rather focus on technique and composition than tone (or rather, gear. classical guitarist mindset = keeps varying the tones in playing), any day.

14. flood

flood New Member

WHAT??!?!?!??!?! HERETIC! i shall burn you at the stake!

besides, nobody is obsessed with gear here. that shit doesn't even begin to qualify as gear.

i'd take the tone of larry carlton or jeff beck over the technique of jason becker any given sunday. i wouldn't be sorry either. i'm a sound junkie. if you're playing classical then tone is an integral part of your playing, you can't afford to skimp on it. also, tone necessitates technique.

i'll go with tone/noise though. don't imitate. innovate.

15. guitardoctor

The 1337s move on and the n00bs die... Guess I was lucky to come here while people still were motivated enough to help out a newbie (which is admittedly a thankless job, the only output is a warm glow of helping someone).

Well, that's the natural cycle, innit.

16. guitardoctor

I never noticed that this place is called Indian Guitar TABS... It just seems to be the only Indian Guitar forum left alive... Where else will a guy go for gear related advice - An American Gear forum will hardly provide good advice for someone in India... Especially at the beginner level. The cost, availability, acceptability factor all are different here... An India-centric forum is required.

We all have to swim in crap initially... Yeah for most people here their gear sucks, I know my guitar isn't what you would call a "pro guitar", but I need to learn on something, and I can't wait for my income to increase enough to buy a Gibson Les Paul, so this is what it's gonna be, for now... Passion needs to be fed, otherwise it atrophies.

17. ultrabot90

Trust me, I NEVER want to be at the stage that 'I CANT PLAY BECAUSE MY TONE SOUNDS LIKE BLAH!' =| For me - composition first, playing second, tone third. (note the absence of certain other things like showmanship, clothes, hairstyle, makeup/corpse paint, religion, sponsors...LOL)

What I meant was that tone > gear.
    In other words - Sound junkie/tonally aware player > GAS obsessed excuse for a musician/sound engineer.
    In other words - Giving importance to tone is one thing (like for you, it's your job, and also for players, who need to sound good as well as play good), justifying GAS is another (anonymously amount of large population). I'm just trying to avoid the second disease :D

18. flood

flood New Member

don't!!! buy a japanese copy instead, they're usually substantially cheaper and play/sound better.

played a $900 bacchus LP copy on saturday and enjoyed it MUCH more than i enjoyed playing another friends $2300 LP traditional. fantastic setup, action, GREAT pickups! cranked up the marshall clone and jebus christ, what fricking tone and dynamics. underwound pickups simply pwn. some hum though, but i'm not 100% sure it was coming from the guitar. ebony fretboard, mahogany neck+body made for a dark but very smooth tone. GREAT woman tone on this LP.

the tokais are ridiculously good too but somewhat more expensive. damn, i'm a strat player at heart but i have to say a good LP is a thing of immense joy. i'm going to buy one from japan when i have the urge to, i think. just saw a handmade mid-90s bacchus SRV tribute strat for 75k. i've played their strats, and they actually sound and feel every bit as good as a fender custom shop model. they blow the stock american strats out of the water in every which way, and cost half or a third of something equivalent from fender!

19. flood

flood New Member

let's not get personal. :p

that a crap musician won't get good tone out of high-end gear is obvious.

that a good musician will get better tone out of better gear is obvious too. so i kind of, like, disagree with you completely, man.

20. ultrabot90

Oh, cmon, it wasn't aimed at ye.
    THAT, however, is. Nothing bad about it :p

Exactly. What naturally follows is that sound quality is important, but not as much as the playing that generates it. Nothing like the fixing the source to fix the problem :D

Edit - I sometimes wonder if I'm a Fender/Strat elemental or a Gibson/LP elemental. =| Oh nvm...Ibby! xD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.