The greatest guitarist of all time

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by apratim.mitra, Nov 22, 2004.

?

Who is the greatest guitarist of all time in your opinion ?

1. Jimi Hendrix

13 vote(s)
    29.5%
  2. Eddie Van Halen

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  3. Joe Satriani

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  4. Steve Vai

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. John Petrucci

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  6. Other

11 vote(s)
    25.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

^^Why'd you always have to do that?:think:mad:jay

2. tejas

tejas ..........

^^ Hendrix is one of the greatest. If not the greatest. But to me, its still Vai.

3. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

I'm an ignorant fool i see.......

4. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

whats that s'posed to mean....
    i get it all these guys in the list are good....but that ??? is blasphemous....at least for me....:p: ...that dude did come up with some really catchy riffs....and if am not wrong 2 of his riffs came up in the top 20 riffs of the decade or something...he was the only one as i remember with 2 riffs in that list....and i think its posted here somewhere in the forum...

5. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

read my post.. Any riff can come up in TOP 20.. For that matter all 20 will contain COB in future.. Ha ha ha.. Slash is more of the Commercial Riff kinds..

@ Andy :- Cupid's Dead.. Even you were... LOL call me..

@ Disturbed -: Not just disagreeing with you.. Its Perception..

6. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Satch for me...jimi comes in at a close 2nd but i just find satch the most melodic. But thats my personal view, i give melody more importance than technique and i have found satch the most melodic.
    PS: uve forgotten Clapton,Gilbert,Santana,Slah,Hammett...though it would still be satch for me;)

7. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

.ohh u also forgot randy rhoads,zakk wylde,stevie ray vaughn,malmsteen :D

8. jayanth

Slash, Hammet , Clapton,Rhandy Roads, zakk Wylde,SRV - Do not fall into the ELITE guitarist category..

Especially Hammet..

But Gilbert and Malmsteen should have been there..

9. shak

shak Harrr!

Where The Hell Is Slash!!!!!!

10. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

but Jayanth ...how can u say who falls into which category
    Slash, Hammet , Clapton,Rhandy Roads, zakk Wylde,SRV have attained fame,inspired many..maybe they play at the speed of light but so what?...they might have sold more records as compared to malmsteen and maybe thats the bottom line.

11. jayanth

Its the type of music.. PLaying solo, Playing wiht a band, etc etc.. Technicalities. .

12. tejas

tejas ..........

I dunno about others, but im quite surpirsed Jimmy Page and Tony Iommi arent on the list. They deserve a spot there.

13. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

This is ridiculous. You cannot make a thread called "greatest guitarist of all time" and expect an answer. People will have different opinions on it. Furthermore, providing just 5 choices in the poll is inadequate at best.

For example I think Alexi Laiho is the greatest guitarist in the world because he represents what I would like to be and I'm sure 99% of people on this forum would disagree with me. Pointless thread in my (not so) humble opinion.

14. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

I agree with death_metal_fan...such threads are totally pointless and should be banned.

Comparing music destroys music....period

Each guitarist is unique in his own way....its impossible to compare them.

PS: who is Alexi Laiho?

15. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Lead ax/vocalist for Children of Bodom.

16. jayanth

@ DMF :- Man this is IGT.. Whatever said here wont make anyone less greater.. In this list whoever you think is great vote... Alexi is WOW>.

17. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

DT all the way!!! petrucci rulz!!!! have ull heard him play on liquid tension experiment - speed and technique wise hes definitely the best of the list!! and no one can deny he sounds awesome!!!!

well - id still suggest that a new list be made - id include the 5 mentioned here - my new list would be as follows:

Jimi Hendrix
    Eddie Van Halen
    Joe Satriani
    Steve Vai
    John Petrucci
    Eric Clapton
    Ywingwie Malmsteen
    Eric Johnson
    Jimmy Page
    Stevie Ray Vaughan

furthermore, i ask a mod to close this thread since it seems obvious that the choice really isnt enough here - im starting a new thread

18. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

jimmy page n jimmy hendrix

19. guns n roses

guns n roses Pro Guitarist

Jay u seem to always despise slash. I dont see Children Of Bodom on any 22 greatest albums (vh1) top 100 greatest rock bands (vh1) top 20 greatest riffs (?) and the 50 top most influential guitarist (vh1) and guess what, SLASH appeared in all of the above. He wrote the best riff in rock history (Sweet Child O' Mine). whos lead gutar for COB anyways? IF he reaches top 100 greatest guitarists of all time (Guitar World) then ill think of COB as a band.

20. shelz_d

shelz_d New Member

Hey Jon is good but not as great as Eric Clapton. Rock on ppl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.