The Great Indian Flopshow.

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by d_ist_urb_ed, Oct 10, 2004.

1. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Another day, another match, another defeat... that seems to be the general mood of the Indian cricket team as of now. We lost the first test to australia by a margin of a whopping 217 runs! What's the matter with our players? Is this just a phase that they're going through? If so, it seems to be a rather long and unwanted phase. Asia Cup, Champions trophy, and now the TVS Cup, competitions change, competitors change, but the condition of our team doesnt seem to. What do you, the members of this prestigious website, think, is the failure of our team attributed to? I look forward to your esteemed opinions and some funny advice to tackle this situation. I'm a reporter for my School's Newsletter and they asked me "gather the opinions of a few intelligent people"(They declined my opinion :mad: ). It'd really help me and our newsletter, if ye took some time off and submit a few opinions.
    Regards,
    Matt.

2. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

i don't watch cricket..i just hate it.

3. rajscorps

rajscorps Kaput

I too have never cared much for cricket. I feel it’s a sluggish game.

Even a one-day match consumes 8 hours. That is agonizingly long and leaves little time for any other activity. Also, cricket is a low-intensity sport. There is no physical contact, little ferocity (McGrath glaring at Tendulkar isn’t fierce, please) and the sport is played by 10 odd countries. There is nothing in terms of strategy (technological aids concoct all sorts of strategies) and perhaps only the initial and final deliveries keep you on the edge of your seat (or most of the times not).

I ask you what would you rather watch, a 100 metre sprint or a 10 km marathon? It’s very simple to understand; you can either play hard, or you can play long. You simply can’t do both at the same time. The excitement is when you play hard with lots of intensity, such as a 100 metre sprint. Look at hockey or football. High intensity sports with bursts of speed and power throughout. All through the game you are engaged. Cricketers barely even exercise with intensity. If truth be told I have seen pregnant women exercise with more intensity. I am not here to flame, but will tell you India would do much better if we supported football and hockey with equal enthusiasm.

As for the topic, the board seriously needs to revise its selection procedure. Many cricketers take their place for granted and abuse their liberty. Business houses like LG & Pepsi will have us believe the game is a religion, because they mint money from the association. The media will propagate this trash because they are getting paid for the adverts. The situation of sports in this country is bleak and I am not surprised we win only one silver medal and rank 70th in the Olympics. Till date cricket has not done this country proud in any global sports event. Actually it doesn’t deserve to be in any global sports event (such as the Olympics).

Matt, clearly we are lamenting about all the wrong things.

Raj

4. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

It was the day of the umpires.. RAHUL DRAVID rules..

5. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

it was really sad ,...

they will come up for sure :beer:

6. rajscorps

rajscorps Kaput

I went off to sleep during the climax. It was that intense.

Raj

7. tejas

tejas ..........

I thought Irfan Pathan and Harbajan played rather well at the end. But our upper order needs to improve and imrpve fast.

8. jayanth

Irfan is a Tiger.. He is gonna get better.. Rahul played really well.. I felt But need some top end support..

I am happy that the unwanted Sachin is not there now.. He would have made it easier for Aus.. Until they stop hype about Him, Sehwag, ganguly, India wont prosper.. One century in one series is no good.. Consistency is important.. Also Ganguly for example hits 90 against Kenya and Ducks in an all important Aussie game.. He he..

Anyone who looks at hitting shots from ball one of a test match (Ganguly, Yuveraj and Sehwag to some extent even Sachin) dont play from the brain.. Its a test match.. One and a half day and 457 is nothing especially for such a hyped Team.. and then we go down 7 - 2.. Ok Umpire errors.. And then 19-3 What was that for?? Run out.. Quick Single.. wiht one and half days to go and just at Mid on(For Lefty).. It was really sad.. And today the newspaper reads The Wall: Now Short of Bricks?? His contribution was the highest in the test match.. agreed that he didnt win it for India.. But is that the kind of Headline that marks one Legend?? It should have sain "Indians Open with four wickets down" That would have been a better insult..

9. 6String_assasin

really man, india would do much better if we support for other sports the same way..

10. Gn'rlies

Gn'rlies New Member

ok ok ... reality check

when we talk consistency , theres no one like sachin . To me rahul is a better brain and a super super player , but nothing compares to sachin . rahul is a better test match player , but sachin is a better batsman n no matter what anyone says , to me his presence wouldve made a difference .
    I think sachin n rahul are the only two test match batsmen in the team , maybe just maybe akash chopra . The others starting from the captain are a joke . Sure i'd give sehwag his run , but yuvraj and ganguly and laxman deserve no place in the team .
    Why the hell do we keep laxman in , ok he scored 281 , so ??? his technique sucks , and consistency is not something he's been introduced to . Ganguly on the other hand is consistent in getting out to nothing deliveries , he's the worst batsman in the team. How many of you DO NOT worry when he comes in to bat ??? thats the measure of a batsman .... does he aspire anything close to confidence these days ? its more like , how long will he stay ???

New blood needs to come in . n now .
    Irfan is pretty good .... hope he doesnt break down like zaheer . n i like parthivs batting ... but we need sachin n we need strong opening

11. jayanth

Sachin is OVERRATED... His prescence would be extra weight on the team and no result.. One century in a series aint enough.. Sehwag is immature.. I open my college teams batting.. People throw lollipops at us openers.. You just dont start hitting in the first ball.. You know for the record, in all the matches i have played, i would have hit like 15 runs in 24 balls the first four overs and by the end of the 50 our scores cross figures of 310.. Which no other teams do because when i bowl the first over, i give lkoads of swinging short balls which they hit and get out for.. My other end and the opening bowler has consitently got about 6 wickets in every match.. and I'm more of a tech so kind of average 2 per match.. Generally 0.. The game sense should be there in an opener..

I would now get all this about yhea man you and your gully cricket..NO i'm talking about University cricket.. and its really hard to compete against people who are much better that you in strenght but play like Sehwag and Sachin..

I would not have taken sachin for almost two years now.. Rather i mean Sachin should let go his ego and play county instead of 5 overs in the nets.. ou cant call Sachin's playing consistency cause when he started off, centuries , Halfs and good opening partnerships were there.. Now when ever he Decides to hit a century, he takes it so slow that The match is over.. WE have all see this.. THats not something we want.. A dear friend of mine played for Under 19 along side Irfan.. He went on to get Man of the Series.. Bearing the Name ROBIN UTTHapa.. He is the kind of talent we want.. Not just because i saw him from his Gully days to today.. Its there that i have seen consistency..

I will also quote more names here.. Barrington Rowland.. Hits thriple centuris in four straight Ranji matches.. Deepak Chowgule keeps partnerships with Rowland.. And has two double centuries in a single match.. Dinesh Karthik.. why was he dropped.. We took my Dropper himself. Parthiv Patel..

When you say we need a strong opening wiht Sachin.. its just a dream.. cause Sachin will never perform he's lost it.. Last 15 matches its just 8s and 18s and two centuries in matches we didnt win.. LOL..

12. 6String_assasin

hehe.. chk this out...

A man is caught in a traffic jam, when suddenly someone taps on the > window of his car. > He lowers the window and asked what he wants. > > The man says, " Indian Cricket Team is kidnapped and the ransom is 50 > million dollars. If the ransom is not paid, the kidnappers have > threatened to douse the Team with Petrol and set them on fire. We > are taking up a collection, do you wish to contribute ? > > The man in the car asks, "On an average what are people donating ?" > > The other man replies, "About 5 to 10 litres....!!"

13. rajscorps

rajscorps Kaput

ROFL! That's a cracker!

Raj

14. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Hahaha...man thats a good one!

15. jayanth

THat joke was actually .. Our College Principal has been Kidnapped ...........

I know the person who wrote this joke..

16. MARS

MARS Mars Ji...Finally!!!!!

Hi Jay…

My friend you have written a pretty long post indicating the weaknesses of gangulys and Laxmans..and specially underlined that sachin is OVERRATED and in that process you have questioned the greatness of the man who carried the burden of 100 million people for not less than 10 years from an age when people barely come out of their CARTOON NETWORK shell…
    Probably an average of 57 runs per innings is not enough for people who keeps asking for more & more from him..and this average too after playing more than 110 games..The problem is..if sachin scores 80 in a game and if India still manages to loose that game because of sheer stupidity of others, wise people always say.."he should have scored 25 more runs.He is not a finisher".Look at his home as well as away record.Its intimidating, to say the least, to emulate.Again there are doubters who say that he don’t play for team but for records.But tell me, has he taken all those runs that he scored to his home?? After all they were added to the teams total.Just try to recollect the phase before the advent of Dravid & Ganguly in Indian cricket. And just try to delete the runs he scored from the score card then u will find what he achieved for India.If he could not manage to make India winning often,he , at the same time, evaded a total rout by the opposition almost singlehandedly. If you are asking about the flambouyancy, I wud be the first one to accept that he has mellowed down.But again,isn’t it in the benefit of the team? Do u want a flasher like sehwag & Yuvraj from no. 1 to no. 7. He played that flashy part for 10 years till 99 and I don’t think that I shud make u realize that during those days he just murdered the opposition. Now he is the senior most batsman and his job is to build the innings.(do u remember his recent 194 at Pakistan?)

Think I have written enough although I can go on and on. He is undisputable king of Indian & world cricket.A rare gem and it will take ages to find his replacement…

And as far as u r stats about Rowland Barrington…He has never scored a triple century in First class game.and no Indian player has scored 4 triple century in Ranji trophy on a trot.Rowland Barrington’s highest score is 237 n.o.

And also nobody questioned the talent of Robin Uttahappa. If I m recollecting correctly he is still playing for Under –19.and he is a talent to reckon with…

17. PLZ DELETE THIS ..........

18. MARS

Hi Lavina...

I dont have msn...I have only yahoo...u can add me if u want..although i m rarely online...

19. MARS

20. Abby

Abby New Member

Did I hear you say "Sachin"?

Yo jay,

I registered here some time back, did a few posts, forgot my password, but was forced to register back today coz I did hear some blasphemy on this thread. Yes I consider this talk sacrilege. Should I?

May be I should not, because the Insult is to just someone who has been the lynchpin of the batting from...hmm.. u want me to count the years? Whats the big deal if the person concerned has gone through a series of back aches, injuries but has not been crying about it in front of the media, just fighting it out. Remember the Pakistan match in Chennai. Whats the big deal if the highest wicket taker in the world if respects or to say better fears bowling to someone is the person concerned. But its just Warne guys, how does he know he is good or not, after all he has not seen our Ranji/University players, rite?
    The hoopla about his not winning matches. Guys I am unable to understand what do you guys call winning matches? The person who scores run on the last ball. We think all the matches we win are won by Yuvraj or kaif, who come and score the last few runs in the crunch situations. Whats the big deal if there has been a century hit before, but that stupid centurion could bat only for 45 overs, now cm'on do we expect that the rest of the team to bat for the other five overs.No..boy, the centurion should always bat the full 50 overs. And moreover he has slowed down. So mean of him, what if we have the Sehwags and Yuvrajs, he has to be in the same pace. If sehwag is scoring a 300, he needs to score 400 not a patient sensible 194? How foolish of him. Daam him.
    But why 'am I writing this, do legends need the defense of ppl like me? And hey I have an idea, why don't we send the videos of our university players to the Aussies, may we can scare them away showing our reserve players. And all u Bradmans, aussies, laras,akrams... and all the masteros of the game, come back to mother earth you foolish ppl, and stop OVERRATING him, don't you have any sense

Question again..should I? and hey..lol ;-)