The effect of the letter 'E'

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by khuram82, Apr 16, 2006.

1. khuram82

khuram82 ......:mad:........

Just to give you the introduction how it came to my mind........i used to teach my younger bro some english words way back when he was about 4 or 5 years old n i was about 7 or 8 years old........what i found that he used to pronounce E in every word even if the word ends with 'E' for example if it was the word LATE he used to pronounce it as LATEE , KITE to KITEE etc.. then i had this question that y dont we pronounce E at the end or what effect does it have when a word has E at the end. I am not sure if this is a rule or something but this was my observation:

Just considering the 3 letter words having 1 vowel in the middle, the vowel in the middle will be pronounced in the same way as it is pronounced being itself ....... like if it is LATE you are pronouncing it as A and not AA...... or to be more precise look at the difference here in pronounciation
    FAT and FATE .........in FAT you pronounce A very differently the way u do it in FATE.....similarly i tried to find more words with similar sound like....

HAT and HATE
    CAN and CANE
    MOD and MODE
    SAN (san francisco) and SANE
    etc...
    now there is no such word like DAT or LAT .......but if u jus try to pronounce them you would pronounce them in the same way as HAT, SPAT, RAT etc....

now when i say we pronounce middle vowel as it is when the letter E is there it applies to other vowels too.... lets take 'I' for instance

KIT and KITE
    BIT and BITE
    LIT and LITE
    etc ( there are many words which i came across but cant think of them at this very moment)

and for 'U'

NUT and NUDE
    CUT and CUTE
    SLUT and SALUTE and FLUTE ( im using words with more letters now as they are following the same observation im having)

but there is a 'slight' exception............RUDE ....sounds like ROOD...... a little different than CUTE.........i hope u get what i mean
    and PUT, U in PUT sounds completely different as in NUT CUT n SLUT (remember the same old crap? 'when C-U-T is CUT then y it is not P-U-T PUT'??)

now for 'O' (irrespective of the first letter and the last letter which are not vowels)

GOD, FROG, DON, TOM, HOT etc
    HOLE, FONE/PHONE, CLONE etc

and there is another exception

DON and DONE

We dont pronounce O in DONE as we do in HOLE or CLONE, rather we pronounce it the way we pronounce U in CUT ........

its just my observation i've not tried the other words which have more vowels.......what im asking is that do you guys know any rule or sort in english language? or its jus mere observation that everyone has come across? and do you think we can conclude that E makes the other vowel sound exactly like the way it is pronounced individually? with few exceptions?

I'd like to have ppl contributing with this :think: sort of attitude and not this :insane: sort of attitude...

Cheers!

2. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

I have a :insane: sort of attitude :grin:

I remember this scene frm this old movie "chupke chupke"

"agar D-O 'do' hai, T-O 'to' hai toh G-O 'go(o)' kyun nahi?"

bwahahahaaa

3. Hardik

Hardik .:.:.:BoRn TaLenT:.:.:.

^^from da same movie..
    N-O 'no' aur K-N-O-W bhi 'no'..:)

4. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

and I'd like to have a 28 inch waist....God know we don't always get what we want.

The nuances of the english language are hardly discussable since there is no genuine logic behind them.

5. khuram82

khuram82 ......:mad:........

^ very true BJR....... but this one does give some logic if u know what i mean........so its not a bad idea for me to think about it!! so i thought i'll discuss it, get some wise ppl to talk bout it

6. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

what abt

chak de phattE

or

phuck the chattE

:confused:

7. zing

zing Machine Head

sardarji: english is very vague (pronounces it as vay-gyue)
    englishman: its not vay-gyue its vayg
    sardarji: ok ok now dont arg