The drone/stoner/atmospheric/ambience thread

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by shsnawada, May 7, 2006.

1. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Just wanted to know whether there are any other fans (apart from myself) of drone. And by that i mean bands like Sunn O))), Earth, Hyatari, Khanate...etc (the southern lord group).

Anyone else knows/likes them?

2. vishalj

vishalj Banned

I have heard some Sunn O, can't name any though. Shall check them out.

3. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

^Nope never heard of them..
    Got any recommendations?

4. shsnawada

Weeeee!!!! Somebody actually heard of any of those bands. A good way to get into them is this song.

Another one here

I'm listening to them now and thats what gives me the patience to write/find all this. :grin: Oh yeah! And listen to it in very high volumes. (its best that way). [/hyper]

5. shsnawada

Just download the links that i gave in the last post. It needs a very open mind though. Its got no rythm nor does it have any melody. Its all about the atmosphere. (which kicks ass).

6. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

^listening to decay2..i think im in love..

7. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

yea i no..thats whts so awesome about some music..
    the atmosphere..

awesome shit this is!!!

I LOVE YOU!!!
    lol.

8. shsnawada

^ Sarcasm, eh?

9. shsnawada

Apparently, they also have the best song title ever : ""FWTBT: (I dream of Lars Ulrich being thrown the bus window instead of my master Mystikall Kliff Burton) "

10. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

^^No sarcasm, scouts honor!

and @previous post: LMAO...are you serious? Thats hilarious!!

11. shsnawada

^ lol, kewl. hehe. How do you like the song?

And, at the song title: Yes i am serious. Anal cunt comes close but this wins.

12. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Lol, you had made me listen to this some time back, I still maintain, its not music. Next thing someone will record a cow mooing, loop it and superimpose the sound of somebody pissing on it and make an album out of it.
    This is cool for one listen, but only one listen. And thanks, but for you I would have prolly never heard this.

13. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

^^actually yea he has a point...the music is awesome but i dont think imma gonna be llistening to this stuff day in and day out. its not meant for that. it does get you stirring but eh...yea its not something you can keep listening to.

but i still thnk you for intro-ing it to me..i had no idea these guys existed.

14. shsnawada

No, that wasnt this stuff. That was a completely different thing called Zoät Aon.
    And about the music: It depends where you draw the border between music and noise. I dont see music as being a bunch of riffs and solos grouped together to form songs, grouped together to form albums. I see it as being a feeling. This is more like soundscape building. But again, i said that this needs an open mind so meh.

15. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

^i agree with you...but at the same time certain kind of feelings call for certain music. I just dont see myslf listening to this stuff all the time. you know? Maybe you connect to it in a different way...and thats cool.

16. shsnawada

Well you cant listen to the same album 5 times in a row, but you can listen to it once everyday. (atleast i do :p: )

And there are a lot of things to be explored in this genre, and a lot f new things are coming up. I find it very interesting.

17. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

Then good for you, and anytime you find something that you think i might like, you know where to find me and gimme a buzz, aite? ;)

18. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Agreed. I have the same belief too. I liked it, its cool to hear, but I CANNOT and WILL NOT listen to it 10 or 20 times again. Its like watching an AC Milan - Inter Milan football match again and again (ok, not the best analogy). The point is , there is no hook. And hence, it simply becomes boring after a few listens.

19. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

I kinda like it but can't jst listen to it anytime.

I have to be in the mood for it.

Thanks though @shs

20. shsnawada

True. I thought exactly the same thing........

before i went to a Sunn O))) concert. :')