the complete idiot's guide to musical terms and jargons

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by jamhead, Feb 15, 2005.

1. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

no meant the add-ons and strap-ons like distortion and other gagets...

2. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

someone please answer that question.

also whats a "riff"?? how is it different from a "lick"?

there's also something called a "hook"... whats a hook in musical terms?

3. tejas

tejas ..........

Staccato is a note played for a very short duration or very abruptly. Its not a technique or anything, its just a note with an odd timing. In usual music notation, a staccato is represented with a . (DOT) directly above it. I have no clue what "Staccato with balls" means though.

4. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

ok a riff is like a lick any msucail line

licks are generlaly assocaited with solos and single nots while riffs are normally like: verse riff or chorus riff or brdige riff

sometimes riffs indicate what the entire abnd is aplying - sometimes the chorsd. etc... basically riffs is a lil general

a lick is more specifically a line - for example:
    ------------------------|---------------------------|
    ------------------7--9--|--9r-9h7-9--7--7-----7--9--|
    --7----9--9----9--------|------------------9--------|

thats a lick

5. deathdr_87

ok getting back to chords:

now thers nothing like the deepest or the shrillest chord- the deepest chord on a stanard tuned guitar is generally an E5 that means - its an e chord - ut not a minor or a major - tis simply the note E and its 5th (major 5th and minor 5th arte the same - if u dont know wat those mean - dont ask me im nota bt. to explain - search for it)

the 5th of E is B btw.

now if i was to take a 7 string or use some different tunihg - icould have much "deeper" chords than the E5.

getting to identifying chords..

play the song on ur music system/pc - get to the aprt u want to figure out which chord is palying- pick up ur guitar and keep playing notes starting from the top E string (as in E,F,F#,G,G#,etc...) until you realise the note ur playing sounds like what the song is..

ur going to ahve identify the ntoes for each chord - ull realise when a chord changes - trust me on that - write down the notes - now ull ahve wat might be the bass line (wat the bassist plays) - for msot rock songs - this will be the rhythm as well - or the set of chords... now add the 5th note of each the notes you identified - as in play the 5th - for example if you listen to knocking on heavens door - ull identify the notes as:
    G D C

now add the 5th to each to make the 3 chords:
    G5, D5, and C5.

play the chords while the song is playing... they should sound right.. if they dont redo the entire thing i just said else continue:

now simply play each chord first as a major then as a minor, as in try out G major then G minor and do this for all the chords - see which ones are right - voila! - uve got the chords

im not explaning for more detailed stuf like varioans and all - im tired of typing! - bugger off and play!

6. deathdr_87

oh ya : any beginners who stay in mumbai - pm me - i will take beginers classes if anyones interested at a very nominal fee... (and ull get to play on my electrics once in a while)!!!