the complete idiot's guide to musical terms and jargons

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by jamhead, Feb 15, 2005.

1. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

this thread is meant to help out guys like me who havent the foggiest idea about the "technicalities" of producing music.

i have loads of music and hear most of what i have. but i dont play any anything except at times the fool :D

there are many terms that are greek and latin to me. i hope i am not the only "technical" (pun un-intended) nocive here. this thread is for me and for them.

i propose that the "question-answer" pattern be followed in this thread. giving "funda's" are also welcome, where some expert explains what a certain term / jargon means, on his own, without anyone asking.

my first questions:-

1) what exactly is meant by "shreading" ??

2) whats a "stacatto with balls" performance on the drums ??

3) dont laugh.... how to identify the strings? i mean someone told me that iron maiden uses only 3 chords.... which three do they use and which three do they not? if that guy hadn't told me, i wouldnt ever have known...help

2. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

people have been taking u for a ride.

stacatto with balls...lolollolol..
    i ron maiden uses 3 chords...yeah true to some extent but..
    ...start hanging out with other people ...ur friends are not ur friends.

3. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

er "stacatto with balls" was somethng i read in an indian news paper.. in an article by one of their music "experts".. the maiden thinq came from a guy i know... an acquaintance

in any case none of my questions have yet been answered :(

whats shredding????

4. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Shredding, LOL:) One word, Yngwie Malmsteen:)

5. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

still in the dark :(

well ty.... he may be the guy who best explefies what shredding is all about... but WHAT IS IT ??? :((

I have the video clip of his called "arpeggios from hell" or something down that line... will watching that help me figure out in any way what "shredding" is? what will i have to watch out for ?

6. pacificwaters

pacificwaters - .+:| Oriel |:+. -

hey yeah someone better help...i think jam head is right.....

btw i hope it is not load shedding;-) hey pun intended

7. shak

shak Harrr!

@dist .. LOL!!
    i wont go into technical details but shredding is really fast guitar playing... accomanied by sweep picking ... usually played by RSI strucken hands .. :)

stacatto with balls? ...no idea mate!
    IM and three chords. ... cant say anything.. here as well...sorry

8. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

thanks.... but now its a case of "one big doubt leads to another"...

so what on earth is "sweep picking".... RSI is what? Rocking Stringed Instrument ???? going by your defination.. is the guitaring of the maiden song "trooper" anything like "shredding" ?? how's a riff different from a shread?

er.. also is there anything at all called "stacatto" as regards playing the drums...

more than whether maiden uses 3 chords or 13, what i want to know is HOW TO TELL THE CHORDS..... the heaviest one is what and whats the shrillest one? and whats the major/minor thing that s suffixed with A/B/C/D/E/F/G

the one kind of "G string" i know a thing or two about sadly dont have much to do with music... at least i never tried twaging one.. as yet :D

9. shak

shak Harrr!

sweep picking is like when you play a number of notes on 3 or 4 strings and you only pick the strings once or twice the whole time or very slightly .. i mean you go a bit tight on pickin and let your left hand do the job .. (its kinda hard to explain .. )
    and RSI was a joke... its actually repetitive strain injury ... you know if you play your guitar very fast without taking any breaks and without warm up you get this inflammation of tendons.. anyways forget it..was just a bad joke..

well the deepest chord would be E5 i think ... and the shrillest .. no idea ... bandbaja can help you here.. PM him if you want.. very helpful guy ..
    and major/minors are the type of chords .. like em7, sus's etc.

stacatto and drums.. i am not sure.. dont know much about drums..

10. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

wel thanks .. the fog lifted somewhat.....

er.. whats the job of the left hand here? whats "picking" ? is it he same as strumming or plucking ? i know i am knit(picking) here.... but then thats what this thread is about.. getting all doubts clarified.... BTW doesnt anyone else have any questions to ask?

i know as much about the terms as i know about about zoology.

whats a fret? whats a E5? i thought it was E minor or major !!! sus?

sus(hmita sen) ??

oh and from what you told me and after listenning to maiden's trooper non stop some 5-6 times in the very very recent past(last 20 minutes) i am concluding that that song involves consderable shreading.

whats a riff though?

11. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

ok am a musical moron meself....but heres to sweep picking...see like sharukh said...its letting ur left hand do all the work...so basically if u wanna play a lot of notes on diff strings.....say u wanna play 3-4 notes across say 4-5 strings..then all u do is hold ur left hand in postion .....kinda like a chord ...fingering the notes u wanna play..and then u pick those 4-5 strings in one sweep.....
    Pros....correct me if am wrong.....

12. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

so the right hand keeps picking at all the strings, while the left hand keeps a different set of chords depressed at different positions each time? and in normal playing, the right hand picks/plucks at only one string? si that teh difference?

and was i right in concluding that maiden's trooper uses considerable shreading? how's a riff different from a shread?

13. d_ist_urb_ed

Trooper? Shredding???? LOL:) Sorry dude, couldnt help it. And i understand, arpeggios from hell doesnt exactly define shredding. Hmmm.......get Far beyond the sun or Black Star or umm......flamenco diablo by Yngwie Malmsteen. Listen carefully, you'll see the blazing speed at which the notes are played. That's called shredding. Extremely(and i mean it) fast.

14. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

hmmm...try watching the vid of always with me always with you, by joe satriani...the outro should clear ur doubt

15. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

i dont have the videos of black star and far beyond the sun, but do have the songs.

will take a listen for sure.

and doc, let me dig into my collection - i may be having the video of the satch song u mentioned.

i know this isn't to do with shreading but does anyone here like "satch boogie" - thought the drummer produced a good (stacatto with balls ??? ) performance.

what is a riff?

16. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

ok i have always with me always with you...

other videos i have from the satch stable include extremist, summer song, flying in a blue dream, big bad moon, and satch boogie. plus the g3 videos. i may have others but will have to hunt.

do any of these have examples ofshreading ?

i am listenning to yngwie's speed metal symphony now. that help ?

17. d_ist_urb_ed

Yes dude. Didnt you make out? The speed at which the individual notes are played? Warp-speed. That's shredding. BTW, shredding was a term invented by Yngwie(i think, pros correct me), cause it looked as if he was playing so fast that the pick was being shredded. And almost each of Yngwie Malmsteen's song is pure and simple shredding.

18. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

i liked speed metal symphony and always with me always with u.

19. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

er will someone please explain the types of "gagets" that guitarists use (or at least claim to) and what purpose they serve...if any....i am a "technicalities" virgin....

20. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

i think they use a guitar :rock: