The Best Judgement?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by rickkkyrich, Dec 19, 2012.

1. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

before I begin, I must LOL really. I really wish I could look into the lives of the people who are out on the streets protesting and demanding punishment. I wish I could see how many of them have demanded (or accepted) dowry at their relatives weddings. I wish I could see how many of them have gifted male dolls to their bahus on the wedding. I wish I could see how much happier they were when someone was blessed with a boy (than they would have been with a girl).

The position of women in society is propagated by everyone of us. It is propagated by parents who have double standards for their children and the girl is not allowed to do something that the boy is because it's "not the right thing for a girl". It is propagated by husbands and wives because their roles in the family are stereotyped. It is propagated by marketing campaigns who talk about certain products being "ladki wali" and insinuate that the correlation is a bad one. Each one of us is subscribing to and propagating them everyday without even being aware of what we're doing. One of the things about stereotyping is that the subject themselves start believing that they have to act in a certain way and subscribe to the stereotype thus further propagating it.

In a situation like this, a man comes in and sees a woman trying to fight for a place as an equal. The concept seems absurd. He hasn't seen it anywhere. He, not unnaturally, tries to subjugate the woman and shows her "her place" by force. Sometimes, it is rape. Other times, domestic violence. Sometimes honour killings. Each of these crimes are a manifestation of what every one of us propagates everyday.

Now suddenly, we want to hack at the leaves because we don't like them...the roots themselves are entrenched in all of us. For that to change will take a long time from when we want it to...and I'm not sure too many of us want it to.

I think the agitation is baseless because I would guess a good section of the people protesting are guilty of injustice against women in some way or the other. For judgement, I would judge society as a whole in this case. You should also know that an incident like this one is not isolated. The only reason you're even aware of the brutality of this particular crime is because it was splashed across the media. If you browse through articles on rape in the last six months, you would find several other equally brutal. Shouldn't they be punished equally brutally. I would've suggested they should if I trusted the system I live in and the people I live with.

Why would I want a stricter punishment only because the person involved was someone I know? Is it because I have lost the ability to empathize with the pain of another person? What I would personally want in a case of personal loss would not be rational...and I do hope everyone else does not lose rationality then because I will.

2. nandy0894

nandy0894 New Member

yes everybody is guilty..and i dont say that candle marches and putting black dots as your display pictures on a social networking site helps..
    and even agree that there are many rape cases that go completely unnoticed...but what should be done about it is the question..

let me give you the example of my city- chandigrah ... the SSP Naunehal Singh gave a statement after this rape case.. he asked women to go out at night to bars, clubs, discs in LBD's and he will make sure that there is police everywhere and no mishap takes place..he also said that if somebody threatens you by saying.."mein isko janta hu, usko janta hu..just say tht u kow the SSP" ..now i find it really impressive because it is effective..everywhere in chandigarh now...that is some kind of action that i would demand..not mere motivational speaches..or fake sadness..like Sonia gandhi saying "ye boht dardnak ghatna hai" ..well that do something about it!

3. wylder

wylder Member

I hope you also realize that the message you are inadvertently sending out to the people is that they cannot harm you because you are under strict watch. So guess what happens the one time you are not...

4. nandy0894

nandy0894 New Member

hmm..but at least something is being done no!
    and about tha one time..that only changes when the mindset of the perverts will change..

5. wylder

wylder Member

Exactly!!! We need to stop blaming poor security, weak penalty and women's dressing habits when the root cause is poor morals...

People need to realize that such an act is beastly and intolerable to a society.

6. nandy0894

nandy0894 New Member

so that happens only with self realization ..

7. wylder

wylder Member

Or by making it a taboo or something worthy of being a social outcast.

Something that the will be deemed worthy of tagging you as the lowest cast of the society...

So that people fight it with the same passion that they oppose slaughtering of a cow... A positive use of religion/beliefs for once...

8. nandy0894

nandy0894 New Member

drifting a lil away frm the topic...you sound lke a sociologist :p:

(i just gave my socio exam yesterday :p:)

9. horsesmouth

horsesmouth Active Member

Best idea of all. But not easy to apply.. It'll need time, patience and an aptitude for change in the people.

10. horsesmouth

It's amazingly true! I must say my judgement is clouded too though..

11. nandy0894

nandy0894 New Member

especially in a place like india where someone is raped every 54 minutes/..

12. wylder

wylder Member

Hmm... Atleast people are reacting in some form or the other now. Maybe there is light at the end of the line :)

13. wylder

wylder Member

Nope... Just a regular software engineer appalled at the beastly behavior of our educated young men in these cities.

14. nandy0894

nandy0894 New Member

hope is the word :)

15. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

BJR, Wylder, society, public and individuals matter a lot in such cases.
    But you surely cannot let the police go off so easily.

There is zero accountability of all govt officials who are facing the public in daily interactions.
    Police is just one of those departments.

16. wylder

wylder Member

Sure alpha1, but the next time you are caught by cops, would you tell them that you are willing to pay the prescribed fines rather than pay a bribe?
    Or you are in a government office and need something done, would you go the long way round and undergo the due waiting/process rather than pay off the officer?

The truth is we the public are so used to a system that we helped build over time and are unwilling to change, yet we complain about the same and blame everyone else...

17. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

The situation here is totally different.
    What you are talking about is a cognizable offence where the cop takes the lead and books you on behalf of the state. Here I agree that because the public wants to wiggle its way out and then boast among their friends and colleagues how they escaped - the situation has gone to the dogs.

btw I have not greased any police guy's palms till today. Not for any traffic offense (like seat belt, red light, etc), nor for others (driving license, passport etc). And I have not entertained any govt agency also till date - not even the lowly LPG agent who forces you to buy accessories along with a connection, which I have refused to get forced into.

What I was talking about IS a situation where an aggrieved party lodges a complaint against someone else. The offense needs to be proved first. Here, in this situation, our Police is absolutely lack luster in its performance. And NO one in public is to be blamed for this attitude of the police - because the aggrieved party always has its vested interest to pursue its cause, yet police shows reluctance.

Oh but the police can really act fast if it wants to. Have you forgotten how the Indian Foolish officers swooped down on people causing "ruckus" on Facebook and "hurting the religious sentiments of billions of Indians" when the Shiv Sena goon died.

18. horsesmouth

This is probably worse than hanging or castration:
    Shame

Most other forms of punishment just fade off after sometime, and in any case don't induce fear among soulless criminals.

19. atti2d

atti2d New Member

Castrate the f@#kers. Death sentence is too easy. Let them live in shame for the rest of their lives.

20. atti2d

atti2d New Member

I hope you all are aware of the Delhi rape case... or should i say "cases"...
    What in your opinion should be done to the criminals if found guilty? What will be the best judgement in your opinion?

Hi bjr

Mate, completely agree to what you have put across, probably a referendum put forward to the present government would help (i
    don't know). Just need to hear what your think your verdict would be, towards the guys who have been caught and have been proven guilty? cheers.