The Art of Guitar Strumming

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons, Tutorials & Tips' started by Bandbaaja, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meeaamir

meeaamir New Member

but how to find the strumming patterns of the songs???????????

2. the strummer

the strummer New Member

strumming probs

hey dude can u suggest me a way of mastering the bossa-nova strumming pattern since its a bit complicated to play on the guitar

3. maxtamboli

maxtamboli New Member

good post buddy this help a lot to me for learning a struming pattern as i am a beginner

4. satnix

satnix New Member

dhanyawaad MAALIK !

5. kufi007

kufi007 New Member

hello bro

am new with guitar...need to get a jump start...firstly is it possible to learn a song tab by heart without actually knowin how to play guitar ??
    secondly how does this tabs work..i mean when thz guyz give a tabs for some particular song wat does it mean....do i label my strings on fret as thos alphabets and dots means hitting the strings number of times the dots are there ?? hope u are understandin wat am askin..quite confusingly thouhg...
    if am right and fret strings need to be labelled with thoz alphabets...what alphabets to use on which strings...??
    waitin for your reply brother....
    kashif
    south africa

6. mr singh

mr singh New Member

there is enuf in all of the other begginers threads/ forum to answer all these questions and more that u may have... e.g. how to read tabs. by reading previous posts u are more likely to get a better response than trying to get people to give a response to a repeated question (sory if i sound a bit harsh)
    jus search a bit on IGT using the search thingy.

7. ace_gaurav

ace_gaurav New Member

excellent excellent excellent thread...m savin this thing...m kinda k..wit d rest of d strummin patterns...but for allah ke bande..i somehow juzz dont seem to get d hang of it..!!...can some1 plz help...n @maverick..r u sure..papa kehte hai strummin is different from hotel california n country roads...

reps comin ur way @bandbaaja.... :beer:

8. rahul_in_rhythm

rahul_in_rhythm New Member

thanks its a very good theory.... to be practiced .i am a beginner and that will definitely help me....have a coll day and keep posting such stuff..

9. Wan2BPro

Wan2BPro New Member

Hi All....Figuring out Chords

I'm new to this site....I have learnt a lot from this site.......I'm facing with a problem...... I cannot figure out the chords for a song......I know the basic chords like major,minor,seventh chords............plz help.........
    thanks in advance.....

10. vonguitar

vonguitar New Member

good work baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaajaaaaaaaaa

11. kevin_s

kevin_s New Member

i have been learng guitar for the last 3 months...past 2 weeks am trying 2learn strumming wid a pick(previosly i used my fingers) i find the upstroke impossible wid the pick and this is making the entire learning fruastrating...please help me...

12. the_lone_ranger

the_lone_ranger New Member

Hi Band Baaja,

I am an avid follower of your threads and find them very informative.

I have two questions for you. Can you please answer them.

1. Does the strumming pattern change or is it constant throughout a song?

2. How do you recognise a strumming pattern for a particular song, Is it done through trial and error or is there some theory involved?

Please help.

13. Bandbaaja

Bandbaaja Pronounced Band Baaaa Ja

Well, a basic strumming pattern is generally maintained throughout the song.
    But then there are minor changes here and there. This is true for most English Songs. But in Hindi songs, u may find one strumming pattern for the opening stanza and another for the next and so on. This actually depends from song to song.

Its not thru trial and error and nor is there any strict theory behind strumming. You have to LISTEN and figure out.

But in Hindi songs, there are many which may not even have a guitar strumming or the strumming is too light to hear. In such cases generally if you have to accompany a singer with a guitar, you listen to the RHYTHM ARRANGEMENT (DRUMS & OTHER PERCUSSIONS LIKE DHOLAK OR TABLA) and then based on that you figure out a rhythm pattern of your own.

It all comes thru on your own with a lot of LISTENING and MORE IMPORTANTLY you should not be ashamed of trying out rhythm patterns ORALLY, it may sound funny when you create a pattern in your mind and recite it orally, but then that works the BEST. So be ready to listen to a song and be ready to go JHING JHA JHING JHA JHA JHA or JHING JHING JHANGG JHA JHA JHINGAJHING JHANGG and so on ....

Cheers

14. Bandbaaja

Bandbaaja Pronounced Band Baaaa Ja

to everyone else who have asked questions here,
    most questions are answered in my post itself

for instance, the person asking about upstrokes, ive mentioned in my post
    dont do anything MECHANICALLY. do not use your arm with the pick as a ROBOTIC ARM motion. that is where u will get stuck

u have to maintain a free flow between up and down.
    if you notice, as you start strumming, EVERY DOWN STROKE IS FOLLOWED BY AN UPSTROKE even if u dont want it!!!

so basically a strumming pattern is made out of down strokes & up strokes and YOU CHOOSE which of these strokes should brush the strings and which should not. this free flow comes from PRACTICE and i dont think it can be explained on paper, u can try to sit with someone who has already been playing for a while and ask that person to show you.

BOSSA NOVA is a difficult pattern and on paper it may look like any other pattern, but you have TO SEE IT, HEAR IT, ORALLY RECITE IT and then TRY TO PLAY IT

15. the_lone_ranger

the_lone_ranger New Member

Thanks Bandbaaja,

Your are really an asset to this site and an inspiration for me.

16. meditate_guitar

meditate_guitar New Member

thanks Banbaja Bro!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.