The A form - SOS

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by iprakash, Jun 11, 2006.

1. iprakash

iprakash Proud IGTian

Hello IGTians, I have been playing the guitar since 10 months now. In the beginning barre chords seemed to be very difficult and the thing to master. After a lot of practice I was finally able to play barre chords but only for the E form (First of which was the 6 string 'F' chord). Another major class of barres use the A form (Three fingers on the same fret). It is this form for which I need help.

I have tried and tried but without success. Can experienced people here guide me how to really master the A form in barre chords. There are posts on this site telling that people generally play this form using the following fingerings:

If Index = 1, Middle = 2, Ring = 3 & Pinky = 4 then

Form 1 =

e|---|---|-1-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---
    B|---|---|---|---|-4-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---
    G|---|---|---|---|-3-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---
    D|---|---|---|---|-2-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---
    A|---|---|-1-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---
    E|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---

Form 2 =

B|---|---|---|---|-3-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---
    D|---|---|---|---|-3-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---
    End If

Both the above fingerings don't work for me. Form 2 is simply not possible with my not-so-long-and-flexible fingers, but I can manage Form 1 partially. The problem is that the middle finger justs positions itself too far from the fret causing the concerned string (D) to buzz.

Are there are tricks here? Are there alternate easy forms? I simply want to play the chords that require this fingering (like the Bb, B etc). Please help. :help:

2. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

take ur first finger cover the whole 3rd fret press it well

take ur 3rd finger cover the strings B G D at fret 5 sounds crazy to do u need practice thats it

well or else for form 1 u use the remaining 3 fingers to cover the strings B G D at fret 5 i would prefer if u used only one finger for that purpose

practice!!!!

practice doesnt make u perfect

good practice does ;)

3. iprakash

iprakash Proud IGTian

Thanks spy_game.

When I use Form 2, I face these issues:

[1] The third finger mutes the A string if extended.
    [2] The third finger is not lifted enough to allow the high E to ring which is fretted at fret3 by finger 1.

I believe [1] can be managed with practice, but [2] is really driving me nuts.

Any tips?

4. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

the second shape is virtually impossible if your ring finger does not break at the second joint. u may try using ur little, if it breaks. a frend of mine plays it that way.

5. iprakash

iprakash Proud IGTian

Thanks Sayana, Yes I believe the same. I tried with Form 1 for quite some time without success. Do you play B or Bb with Form 1 fingering?

I am now experimenting with the below 3rd fingering to reduce the risk of my ring finger breaking:

Form 3 =

There is still a problem, either I manage to fret D properly or G but not both. I will anyhow practice some more and post the results of my experiments.

Would request other IGTians to post their experiences and suggestions for the A form.

6. .:SpY_GaMe:.

i usually play it like the diagram ^^^^ i posted the pic here before i will search n show u

7. .:SpY_GaMe:.

8. iprakash

iprakash Proud IGTian

Thanks spy_game. I can clearly see in the picture that you have fingers much longer than me. Your fingers also bend too much :shock: from your 2nd joint which is not the case with mine.

So its really those 'extras' :mad: which help you get things quickly.

I have tried this same fingering (Form 3) and believe this is the way to go ahead. With much stress in my ring finger I can now manage to fret both D & G but it literally pains and as said by Sayana, it feels the ring finger may break-off!

A little more practice in the coming days would definitely tell me how successful I get.

9. iprakash

iprakash Proud IGTian

Here's some update regarding this.

I have been practising Form 3 for over a week, twisting my ring finger distal joint in the other direction :shock: but I still cannot manage to play it.

Today I also discovered something that made me abandon both Form 2 & Form 3. I will now be practising only Form 1. Advantage of Form 1 is that it also allows one to play the sus4 movable form which is:

B|---|---|---|---|---|-4-|---|---|---|---|---|---

Will post again when I conquer Form1 :beer:

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

and sus2
    B|---|---|-1-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---
    G|---|---|---|---|-4-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---

and dom7
    G|---|---|-1-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---

and maj7
    G|---|---|---|-3-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---

So you see, it doesnt matter whether you use your first form or second.
    There are many chords that are easier to reach using form 1, and there are others that are easier to shift to using form 2.

11. iprakash

iprakash Proud IGTian

Hello alpha, I don't see how Form 2 or 3 makes it easier to shift to sus2, dom7 or maj7. Moreover Form 2 or 3 is also not feasible physically for many folks including me. I can say this because I tried and I tried it for quite some time without any progress. Its physically not possible without that extra bend in your ring finger distal joint.