TestAment one the best thrash metal bands

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by ssslayer, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

True James has been in and out of alot of things. Loved his stuff in Death, Obituary, Disincarnate and even Foreign Objects (my god these guys kick ass!!). He has numerous guest solos under his belt too. I actually love James Murphy's tone too! Well you can only expect that since he uses the best of gear available!

Alex Skolnick had kick ass tone! I love how his tone just comes alive...screams, sings.. just ****ING AMAZING on Return to Serenity. There's no solo in the world I enjoy on earth like the one on that song.

I love the chunky, thick tone Eric Peterson has..It really adds the balls to their songs especially on the newer albums. Eric Peterson's playing is probably the highlight on their album The Gathering. People often ignore this man's talent.

2. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

Thats true. YOu think Testament and you think Skolnick. Thats coz he kinda created this image for himself with Return to Serenity . The first time i heard the serenity solo i couldnt believe a mortal played it. It was like the skies opened up and the solo came down from heaven(STOP ME!! IM LOSING IT )

3. Mr. Scary

Yeah he was pretty vital in shaping the band's sound.

I guess its safe to say that Eric Peterson's guitar work almost dominates on The Gathering.

Infact he did play a couple of solos...on including the first solo on Sins of Omission and even the first solo on Low...some others im sure.

4. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

the thing with murphy is he played for diff genres..i mean he has played for death, obituary (i think), and testament....hes pretty flexible wid diff genres

5. chintan9

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Mr. Scary

Not just Return to Serenity either! I mean who can forget those metal classics like Practice What You Preach, Disciples of The Watch (one of my favorite Skolnick solos) and many others found on the earlier albums.

Its a shame Testament never gained the fame Metallica and Megadeth got.

Testament's style kept changing too. Legacy and The New Order were pure Thrash/Speed metal. Practice What You Preach could be considered that too...But, it was with Souls of Black you could realize that the band's sound was starting to change significantly. Then you got something really melodic like The Ritual (many people bash this album, but i like it...hell it has Return to Serenity and Electric Crown!! Its not my favorite though).

I think the band tried to go back to its thrash metal sound when James Murphy came to replace Alex. The albums featuring James ARE heavier than the ones with Alex. James Played on Low, Demonic, Live at The Fillmore, The Gathering (when people tell me this album sucks because of the lack of solos, i want to use a soldering iron on their face! HEY ATLEAST ITS NOT A ST.ANGER!!!).

7. chintan9

@ mR scary- Have you ever seen Testament live? how are they?

8. Mr. Scary

Unfortunatley, no =(. Trust me its my biggest dream to see them live someday, especially if they do another Reunion Tour. The closest to that experience I have ever got is probably ordering all their live DVDs and bootlegs off their site.

I wrote to Alex Skolnick, James Murphy and even Steve Digiorgio a few times and they've never failed in replying.

9. chintan9

wow!!! you have all their DVDs!!! How much did those cost you(for the whole package) and do they ship to India as well????.

10. jekyll

jekyll Banned

TestAmenT is THE thrash metal band!!

:rock:

11. bobbit_uncut

bobbit_uncut Banned

Their music is OK.

12. acidwabbit

acidwabbit New Member

The New Order

U'r damn right they rock....but Alex Skolnick one of my idols wat has happened to him has anyone heard the music he makes now???

13. slash_i_m

slash_i_m Laid to Rest

i like trial of tears.