TestAment one the best thrash metal bands

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by ssslayer, Aug 25, 2005.

1. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

TestAment is one the best thrash metal bands ... alive n kickin ...

unfortunatly even the Wikipedia says that the biggies of thrash are (in alphabetical order):
    Anthrax
    Megadeth
    Metallica
    Slayer

y no Testament?

and it says the Testament was earlier in the league of big 4 thrash ? ... so do they mean they are no longer ? ...
    WTF ... mebbe they shoukld listen to the post Skolnic works ... it almost sounds like death metal ...

so another ques? ... did leaving of Alex Skolnic actually made the band less thrashy?
    i remember reading somewhere that Skolnic was in no way connected to the song writing of Testament ...

2. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

I'd argue why not Exodus instead of Testament? There are too many thrash bands that deserved to be part of the Big 4 but still didn't make it. Testament is no exception despite their rather groundbreaking 'The New Order'.

People sometimes refer to Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax as the First Tier of the Big 4. That being said the Second Tier would consist of Testament, Exodus, Overkill and a 4th one of your choice (mine would be Heathen but some would prefer Kreator, Vio-lence or maybe Death Angel...hell even Flotsam & Jetsam could make the list). It's a matter of preference.

As for the questions on Alex Skolnick ask Shaun...he's probably the best person to ask.

3. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

Finally! a killer topic.

I guess Anthrax Megadeth Metallica and Slayer are the 4 most Popular Thrash metal bands not the Best Thrash Metal bands.

Plus anthrax aint that great. atleast in my books.

4. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

well i find anthrax somewhat funny n hilarious ... a few songs of 'em ...

5. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

Alex Skolnick was VERY important to the band's songwriting process. Lyric wise, he was least involved during the band's first album- Legacy...But, he helped write the lyrics for nearly all the songs on the band's second album, The New Order (my favorite album of all time). He helped write songs such as The Preacher, The New Order and also one of my personal favorites- Into the Pit. Alex was also pretty active when it came to writing lyrics for Practice What You Preach, he wrote The Greenhouse Effect all by himself. He also helped write the lyrics for the album's title track and other songs such as Sins of Ommission (my personal favorite). Alex also wrote Seven Days in May which was featured on the album Souls of Black. Music wise, Alex was involved (like the rest of the band) in writing the music for the majority out of all the songs. He was not just some hot-shot guitarist, there to only play solos.

When Alex left the band, the band's sound turned to grow heavier probably due to Alex Skolnick's replacement- the great James Murphy. My personal favorite album containing James in their line up has to be Live at the Fillmore....James guitar work on the acoustic version of Return to Serenity was just amazing! However, I find The Gathering probably tying up with Live at the Fillmore. People bash The Gathering for its lack of solos (I mean come on people STFU! We all know James can solo, and my god he's a ****ing guitar god..he doesn't have to prove himself). I find The Gathering, the perfect album to drive to (I always listen to it when I take the car out), songs like Down For Life and True Believer just makes me wanna cause havoc in traffic.. Its ****ing heavy, raw and just ****ing amazing. Plus you gotta love the lineup! Joining the band would be drumming legend Dave Lombardo and bass god Steve Digiorgio!

Btw Theres an album of remakes of classic Testament hits called First Strike Still Deadly. Alex Skolnick rejoins the band for this album (you wouldn't want anyone else anyway) and totally rips!

Ah, Testament still remains to be my favorite band of all time!

6. shak

shak Harrr!

Plus you gotta love the lineup! Joining James would be drumming legend Dave Lombardo and bass god Steve Digiorgio!

i AM lovin it!

7. Mr. Scary

Hahaha, Im searching all over the net for ANYTHING recorded from the Reunion Tours that have been taking place this summer. It features all the original members (except Souza, Billy will be on vocals...plus Im glad SOuza left...testament is just not testament with out chuck billy haha). The Reunion Tour features Alex Skolnick on guitar, and Greg Christian on bass, and Louie Clementine on drums.

Though nothing can replace that line up, I'd kill to see to see the same lineup featured on The Gathering! The only problem i cant deicide who I'd want on guitar, James or Alex...they were both my biggest influences to pick up the guitar.

My perfect lineup for a live show:
    Chuck Billy on vocals
    Dave Lombardo on drums
    Eric Peterson on guitars
    Steve Digiorgio on bass (dont get me wrong, Greg Christian is badass!)
    James Murphy or Alex Skolnick on lead guitar (take turns maybe? haha)

8. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

well i like the "Demonic" ...

the way bass turns up right in the begining ...
    and then the distorted guitars and distorted vocals ...

9. Mr. Scary

You have beautiful solos done by Steve Vai, John Petrucci and others that have proven to be nothing but musical geniuses...but, i haven't enjoyed any solos the way I enjoy solos done by James Murphy and Alex Skolnick.

Afterall they played two of my favorite solos of all time!

Skolnick on "Return to Serenity" (BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!)

and Murphy on "Trail of Tears" (BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!)

10. Mr. Scary

Hell I'm listening to Return to Serenity now....no drug in the world can get me as high the way this song does!!

11. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

Return t osernity is da reason y i picked up TEstament ...
    and then i heard "Alone in the Dark" ... <- killer riff

Legacy's clean intro is cool ...

Dirge ...
    many more ...
    (mostly from Skolnic era)

12. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

lol...go ahead....i cant....lemme search launchcast for sm The New Order songs....

13. Mr. Scary

Everytime I hear this song I just wanna yell from the top of my lungs and join along.

The New Order

[Music & Lyrics: Skolnick, Peterson]

Takers of humanity, elders paranoid
    The time is now
    Give up this world you once destroyed
    Society versus the underground
    Their battles fought and lost
    The time has come
    To rule the world at any cost

For the past it's too late
    Cause the world can't control fate
    Shadows cast loud and clear
    Tell the world the new order's here

Cities turn to battlefields
    A deadly spell is cast
    Corpses falling one by one
    Until the last
    The preacher speaks of prophecy
    So many years before
    No one escapes their punishment
    The gods of war

Death is like an empty space
    Fell no thoughts of fear
    The future cries
    As mother nature sheds a tear
    The world becomes a prisoner
    A victim of its crime
    The human race is now a race
    Against time

14. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

:rock:

w00t....

15. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

TestAmenT

16. chintan9

If I HAD to choose between Skolnick and Murphy I would probably go with Murphy. I mean this guy is so freaking versatile. He plays every genre. Have you guys heard his cover of Sails of Charon. Its mind blowing!!!!!

17. Mr. Scary

True, Im a fan of both Murphy and Skolnick but I'd want Skolnick and no one else if it had to come down to playing the classic testament stuff. James Murphy is in a league of his own. Both Alex Skolnick and James Murphy remain as my favorite guitar players.

18. Mr. Scary

People we're forgetting all about one of the the best rhythm guitarists of all time! Eric Peterson! He played some badass riffs! I think his talent really shines on The Gathering, since his the majority of his playing dominated that album.

19. chintan9

I mean dont get me wrong here, both these guitarists are equally good but Murphy seems to be one of those "done that and more" kinda guitarists. What say you?. With respect to melody and lead tone I would have to go with Skolnick(my all time fave lead tone).

20. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

hey scary what did i say ... i just love the riffs of TestAmenT (<-that s the correct spelling mind u)

and the riffs are made by Eric Peterson ... who else? ... i guess he played some leads also ...