teleish strat

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Sumanovo razor, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Sumanovo razor

Sumanovo razor New Member

is it possible to get tele's twang from a stratocaster if the bridge pickup of the strat is installed with a bridge plate...

2. fena

fena New Member

that would be interesting!!

3. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

The bridge plate in the telecaster was installed to cancel hum of the pickup due to interference from other ac signals.

From the site in the link below:

Do you make a metal base plate for Strats pickups?

I did some testing on what makes a Tele sound like a Tele and how well a similar base plate would work on a Strat pickup.

Testing was this: I made a Tele pickup and 2 Strat pickups with the same size and type of magnet same coil height and the same turn count. I put steel base plates on the Tele and one of the Strat pickups and left the other Strat pickup bare.

I have two Strats that are as close to identical as you can get and they have matched pots—both guitars have pots and caps that read the same. I put one of each type of Strat pickup in each of the guitars.

I could hear the tiniest bit of difference but the other people listening did not hear it. The base plate seemed to add the slightest amount of compression I could "sense." Maybe I could hear it only because I was playing the guitars. But maybe I didn't actually "hear" it; maybe I felt it more than heard it.

There was no difference in volume between the two. I installed the Tele pickup into a traditional Tele bridge and mounted it on a Tele with pots and caps that matched the Strats. I got about 15% to 20% more volume out of the pickup, a little more bass and more aggressive tone. Most noticeable was the volume boost. I have also made Tele pickups without the base plate—they have a little less up front aggressiveness. If you measure a Strat coil lets take one at 2 henries for example and you put a steel plate on the bottom the inductance will raise to approximately 2.15 henries. So you can measure that something is actually happening, but it is hard to hear the difference and I have pretty good ears. After this I decided not to recommend a base plate on Strats. It just doesn't seem to have enough effect to make it worthwhile.

Guitar Pickups FAQ

4. Sumanovo razor

are you a luthier ?

5. Sumanovo razor

then what about nashville teles .they have 3 pickups with the bridge one having metal plates underneath...that is a tele with a strat pickup configuration and a tele bridge pickup and a tele shape...but that bridge pickup definately sounds like a tele pickup does

6. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

No i am not a luthier, what made you think that?

As for that nashville tele i'm sue that pickup in the bridge is a tele pickup and not a strat one. And that is what causes a difference in the tone, the strat pickups are different from tele ones and that causes the difference in the sound i think.

7. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I believe the difference is solely because of pickups.
    Why don't you try interchanging the pickups?