teacher or just practice ?

Discussion in 'Pakistani Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by Famio, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Famio

Famio New Member

as we all know there are a lot of cool pro guitarists here so i just want to know ur opinion on something: what is best ? to learn guitar by a proper teaching by someone professional who also charges u OR to just pick up a guitar and start learning by your own.
    u cud all tell how u learned to play.

:rockon:

2. aeg0

aeg0 Guitarıng Alchemist

No teachers for me. Just practice, practice and some more practice. All you need is the determination, the drive to learn guitar. You could have the best teacher on earth and still not be able to play well, if you arent determined. Determination and practice will take you a long way. Some things such as music theory - cant learn just by practice. You will need some kind of a guide.
    The problem with practice is, you must know what you are doing, and when and what to learn. For eg - first you may learn tabs > then chords > then scales.

3. rizwan

rizwan New Member

i dont believe in teachers stuff in guitaring.i m teaching myself.its way alot more fun to learn by urself reather then get a teacher.but yeah learning urself u can ask something some stuff abt learning and how with ur friend who u can say as a teacher.but as a real teacher,i wont.

4. axlrose250

axlrose250 New Member

famio why dont u make a poll 2 get a better answer and make it in music talk forum cuz this one gonna get moved in tat forum asweel

5. Yousuf_guitar

Yousuf_guitar New Member

i guess you are supposed to have a teacher only for the basic part......then say goodbye to him.......well its been round 8 months since i started play guitar........for the first month i had a teacher(actually a friend of mine) the guy teached me 2 open chords(G7 and C) and one strumming pattern...then the guy went back to pakistan....
    but since then i had, as merqury07 said, determination......so i browsed up a few sites where they had free guitar lesson (i.e just theories given).so i learned a lot from them.....i m stil on the beginner level but i know i m improving WITHOUT a teacher.......

6. awrathore

awrathore New Member

i agree with the above comments but i personally think that teacher is important, learning by urself would take a lot of time and there is no one to encourage you or to correct u where ur wrong......i prefer teacher bcoz doing something all by urself never makes a man satisfied. learning something with a proper pattern is wat makes a man perfect. well its up to u wat u choose.
    AW`

7. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

learn the very basics first...then go for a teacher.....
    u can learn it at ur own but its a long way .......you wont know the right direction....
    Teacher ll guide you in a good way

8. nadish

nadish Active Member

But sometimes u need a teacher. And I think that every 1 need a teacher or a instructor to do a job in proper manner. Doesn't matters if u pay him for teaching or not. And it doesn't mean that Teacher must be special person who has great knowledge and experience abt the appropriate job, but teacher can be ne 1 from whom u get even a single tip. And what do u think abt IGT. Don't u think that it's a good Guitar Teacher for all beginers?????
    Well I take this site as my teacher.

9. jusmail

jusmail New Member

A teacher is always preferable. Tehy can correct your errors, offer you support and enoucragement, and if you are good enough, they might even help you providing openings to showcase your talent to a wider audience. With a teacher, your learning curve gets shorter.

10. Taifi

Taifi New Member

i agree wid jazz and awrathore and jusmail. a teacher is really necessary.

11. stoned_survival

stoned_survival New Member

what jazz says is true---first learn ur basic chords and stuff--enhance ur sense of timing(i would say this is the most imp thing in music) --and then go to a teacher ---hes gonna tell ya some theory ---which is damn important --and then he can make u progress in the rt direction

12. kl12

kl12 (Ghost Note)

well i think the teacher is necessary.....coz i had a few problems learning by my own..the probelms i faced were that i developed some BAD habits and no one was there to guide. it was after 3 or 4 months my friend's friend :p guided me the real techniques & better ways of guitaring.but it was a long time ago.....especially if u r into fingerstyle guitars like me then i think u MUST go for the teacher for the basics..coz u can develop sum bad habits if u learning by own..but if u becomes PERFECT in the bad habits then i think thats not bad..developing ur own techniques and style is also fun..
    regards

13. Quadrophenia

Quadrophenia Member

yeah i think play around, learn chords, do some theory,learn the guitar notes as much as you can yourself..and then goto a teacher.this way u' can ask questions where your stuck and ask him to explain stuff to you alot better.you need a pro to be able to tell u what to do .learning yourself can be fuun..but it is a lot more time consuming. so for ''quicker'' results work by yourself and keep going to the teachers.
    good luck

JAZZ likes this.
  14. J.J

J.J The Guitar God

I think that if u don't have the proper will to learn then u can't learn any music. The teacher can't even teach u the basics if u urself don't try to. In my opinion both r important a teacher and practicing urself 2.

15. i have no teacher but have bought some books on music when i started as jayswami once told me to do
    that help
    or else its simply practice practice practice...............................

JAZZ likes this.