TaUGHT oR SeLF~TaUGHT ???

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by paranoid13rohan, May 12, 2007.

1. Keoraf

Keoraf Keyboard Player

Started with learning to play harmonium from a teacher, after that i wanted to play the keyboards and i self-taught myself how to play the keyboards with both hands.

2. paranoid13rohan

paranoid13rohan .: iNDiaN iDioT 3.0 :.

@zicky ~ thank 4 sharing the info.

@sid ~ i'll call that a self-learned.

@.:Spy_Game:. ~ 4 me it was kinda reverse. 1st UG and then IGT. UG is more helpful. but IGT is the place where i started discussing guitar. at UG i was (and still am) a silent observer

@anshphenomenon ~ which sites?

@kareof ~ nice 2 c a keyboard player here. :rock:

3. paranoid13rohan

btw i'm a self-learned.

4. nazr

nazr angel is my genital..

Self taught.Perhaps thats why i aint no better.

5. paranoid13rohan

inferiority complex

@ nazr ... this is very common among self-learned guitar players.
    they often suffer from inferiority complex.
    i too at times feel that i'm really not that good.
    1 thing is that we take a lot of time to learn and often learn things accidentally.
    but that's where the real fun is.
    i'm sure everyone will agree to that. :)

6. nazr

nazr angel is my genital..

I dont know about that but what i feel is when learning by yourself one can only go so far.For example i cannot imagine playing november rain and sth without any guidance.

7. paranoid13rohan

^ i beg to differ, nazr.
    as a matter of fact, for the past month or so i've been trying to play SWEET CHILD O' MINE guitar parts.
    2day morning i got the intro and the first few solos.
    the last solo is too tough.
    but u know what ~ this is the same i said a year or a half back about the solos i can play now.

so don't lose hope and keep practicing.

8. srideep

srideep ...FKD...

self taught
    started when i was in 11th (one bright and sunny day my dad just got a flash to get me a guitar and thats how i started)
    wasted one complete year cos i didnt even know how to tune
    (no net at home)
    (no one around who played guitar)
    (preparing for jee)
    then finally learned how to tune the guitar and had to relearn all the songs the next year
    after that got into iit and been working hard since then
    started out with simple chords and progressions and rythms
    learnt the major, minor, the pentatonic major and minor and the harmonic minor in that order
    learning to identify and play more complex chords (7ths and suspended chords)
    been practicing with gp5, fruity loops and audacity since then
    meaning i record some chord progression on audacity, play it in loops and start playing my own solos
    or practice the scales using fruity loops to give the beats
    or use gp5 to learn some stud solo i like
    learned to play the bass too a bit cos my hostel band needed a bass guitarist
    recently started looking into some music theory
    overall a wonderfull experience being self taught
    i even tried a teacher for a month but got pained of him soon and packed off after 2 weeks
    :rock:

9. srideep

srideep ...FKD...

@nazr

no need to worry dude
    i also thought the same when i started out
    but now the thing is, whatever a teacher can tell you is all available on the net plus much more
    moreover you can always ask here in igt for guidance
    i did and recieved some very knowledgable replies (BJR)
    and i know many people who have exploited gp4 like anything and have become masters on their own without any help from any teacher

10. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

^how can you try a teacher for a month and pack off in two weeks ?? :think: i wonder what you did for the remaining two weeks of the "month"

11. srideep

srideep ...FKD...

"tried" with all my might to continue for the whole month but gave up.
    it was too far off and playing football was more appealing

12. sheermelody

sheermelody Pianist

Introducing myself.

I haven't really learned music from a professional teacher, but I have been playing music for approximately the last 8-9 years. The only instrument that I learned from a tutor was tabla which I gave up some 7 years back, because of lack of time and interest.

I am primarily a pianist, who started learning from a few friends (who were, in fact undergoing formal training). Subsequently, I spent a lot of time understanding music theory and sheet-music, and most of my last 8 years have been spent doing that and playing for different bands in Kharagpur and Bangalore. To be quite frank, I am more or less a newbie to guitar, have been playing it for the last 2 years only.

I will probably be taking classes in advanced jazz guitar from Steve in Bangalore (I still don't have his address/contact details, but will get them soon and post them on this forum) sometime after August, once I have mastered the basic blues/jazz structures on the piano.

OK, regarding my music concepts, I mostly learn and have learnt from a few favorite sites:
    https://www.jazzguitar.be
    https://www.petethomas.co.uk/jazz-theory.html

These are extremely comprehensive, and have been my companion as I have learnt music theory over the years.

13. paranoid13rohan

@sheermelody ~ very nice of u 2 add the names of those sites.

@all ~ how important is it to learn guitar theories?

14. sid_vicious

sid_vicious New Member

i guess ud be able to make music better if u understand it better...makes sense

15. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

^^bt dude i cn understand music pretty well..................evn wen i cnt read music...................................

16. paranoid13rohan

i know the chord patterns.
    i can read tabs.
    i don't know staff notations.
    i don't know any guitar theory.
    i've played live on stage many a times.
    i've my self-compositions (with proper solos).
    didn't have a problem so far.
    but it sometimes it does shock people when i say i've composed solos without having any idea of any dam guitar theory.

17. Super-Admin

Super-Admin Administrator Staff Member

I too was taught by a teacher. I had a real tough time getting the strumming pattern but as soon as I got it there was no looking back :) The most boring time I had was learning to read music notes. I actually liked finger exercises....weird I know.

18. sheermelody

sheermelody Pianist

all:

While I am mostly self-taught in all aspects of theory, I think formal training on music and music theory helps a lot in the long run.

Firstly, because you understand the technicality and reason why one particular chord follows another.

Secondly, because formal training along with intensive ear training, helps you identify pitch and chords to near perfection.

However, learning theory formally is time-intensive, and in today's world where a lot of time is spent in traveling/fighting/arguing, learning theory may look inconsequential most of the time.

19. loyal

loyal New Member

Learnt some chords from a teacher ( not a skilled one !!!) and after that i was on my own. I am mainly self taught thanks to internet and communities like IGT.
    Its difficult to find a good teacher in small cities/towns, things have changed now, 20 years ago it was different story all together.

It is best to learn Guitar in the hands of a good tutor who can help u develop the right technique. Refer guitar video's from professionals on the internet for expert advice. It is easy to be drifted away and develop wrong techniques while learning by oneself, sadly some guitar tutor's tend to enforce a particular style of play on their students, its a delicate balance of being taught or self taught.

20. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

im a self taught player... i just refer to books and the internet.. im still better than all my friends who take regular classes.. (not boasting or anything)