Tapping & Action

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by zohaib, Apr 10, 2005.

1. zohaib

zohaib Shredder

Hey Which s best for tapping ??
    ans which guitar's action is the best ???
    want ur comments .... the info u gOt !!! thanx

2. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

the action is something u can alter...so any guitar can have any action.......so i guess that wud make any guitar a good guitar for tapping.......
    wait for Pros to comment

3. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

nope - thats not true - several guitars give problems like buzz when the action is lowered too much...

some guitars are specifically designed for a two handed technique which was brought to the limelight by stanley jordan

if ur really into tapping and thats ur priamry technique - u mgiht want to get a luthier to file ur frets down and then lower your action to suit your style.

mind you lowering action means that the you start to lsoe tone

4. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Any guitar's action could be lowered. I use a lot of tapping in my playing, so I had actually lowered my action in my Super Fake Les Paul. The trick here is, you should get the action as low as possible that it will end up buzzing and at the same time, the buzz should not be picked up by your pickup. It's a trade off. My guitar buzzes in a quite a few places because of low action but it's not picked up and you dont hear the buzz in your amp. A real low action will also affect your bends beyond your 12th Fret. So you really need to sit with your guitar, keep adjusting the action and keep testing, so that you find an optimum action which will serve your purpose. Lower action kills a bit of tone. If you are a high gain distortion user, then it just doesn't matter to you at all.

5. deathdr_87

@ronnie - read my post - it can fix the problem of the tradeoff - the real tradeoff is action vs. tone... that is more difficult to bypass

6. ronnieanand

I meant the trade off for everything Low Action v/s Buzz + Tone + Good bends beyond 12th fret.

Moreover if the Frets are not jumbo or medium jumbo, then filing the frets would be suicide. If he files down the jumbo frets, then the whole point of having jumbo frets is lost. I have medium jumbo in my guitar and with my low action I find it reasonably comfortable to do tapping and Legatos. I use a 10 guage string with standard tuning. With this thick strings and tension, tapping was never an issue. If someone still couldn't do tapping, then I guess, he has learn tapping than trying to reduce action and others.

Another thing is thinner strings would be easier for tapping and legato. But thin strings suck big time with their thin sound.

7. Orange Guitar

Orange Guitar IGT's ALLROUNDER

Epiphone Les Paul Studio is gr8 for tapping...it has many reviews on tapping on net!!!

8. ronnieanand

Eddie Van Halen did all the legendary tapping with this local made guitar till it got endorsed by Kramer. Infact for a long time it was only his ordinary guitar with a Kramer label on the neck for the sake of endorsement. All other major tapper like Steve Vai, Satriani, Ritchie Kotzen all use Ibanez. I am not convinced about a brand being good for tapping. It's a playing technique which requires a reasonable gain plus some set up on the guitar.

9. deathdr_87

yes of course its mostly how u paly -

i thoguht zohaib was talking abt. the 2 handed technique (see stanley jordan play to undertand wat im talking abt)

10. Orange Guitar

Orange Guitar IGT's ALLROUNDER

the guy was asking abt the Gear...not lessons of tapping!

11. ronnieanand

Hey Death, I know what tapping is and to my knowledge it has always been a two handed technique. Check out Steve Lynch of the band Autograph, a real pioneer in 8 finger tapping :shock: . I added Legato also to it, because both of them pretty similar in terms of the way they sound and also kind of requires the same action and a decent gain and sustain. There are a lot of Legato licks which could be played in tapping too.

12. deathdr_87

nono - tappnig does use two hands - but its not the 'two-handed techqiue' - that basically involves holding choreds with ur left hadn and adding on with ur right hand - its like a mix between a keyboard ang utiar but palyed on a guitar...

now s guitar thats good for that is also really good for tapping - trust me on that... im not talking about some silly linear tapping - ut the complciated stuff across strins..

13. ronnieanand

I have only come across Linear tapping, tapping across strings, string skipping tapping, tapping arpeggios and tapping and sliding. I am not able to understand what you were trying to say. Could you please read your posting and see if you could understand it again.

14. deathdr_87

downlkoad a video by stanley jordan - i cant explain any better - ull see for urself

15. ronnieanand

Do you mean tap harmonics.

16. zohaib

zohaib Shredder

Well ... guyz its good ur taking intrest
    clear me if i m wrong
    *tapping is a technique in whihc to hands are used on fret board
    so which kinda guitar or which brand guitar
    or what else things are necessary to have a good tapping