Taming up the beast

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by yazi, Apr 29, 2007.

1. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

OK this how Mr Bill Lawrence himself advises pickup height adjustments. Place a nickel (1.5 mm coin) above the bridge pup on the treble side and adjust till the string touches the coin and then double that on the base side. Once this is done you adjust the neck pickup accordingly so you get similar output levels.

I feel this is a reasonable starting point, your personal taste may vary. I've found raising the pickups too much although gives you very high gain and makes those power chords really sing, but too much and you start to lose articulation on the higher strings. I personally don't mind a little loss of power for that much more sensitivity.

I have setup a friends strat and yup it is a pain. All I can say is do it on a day you are in a good mood coz you need a lot of patience with it. By the way if you want replacement pups for a strat I recommend Bill's 280SN/280SM/290SL. these are not very powerful but they are much broader range than stock Strat pups, I love them! If you need a reference, Eric Johnson is know to play these or if you want more power try the 290SN/290SM/298SL set. plus they're noisless

2. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

I can barely bend a whole note on my classical guitar.

Dunno, how low are we talking?

Which part?

3. yazi

yazi Banned

pretty low
    And sorry about that 2nd para

4. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

ibanezrules also has a nice lesson on setting up edge pro guitars!!

5. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

i got a nice lil parrot nt a beast....................dint even hve to tame it........................

6. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

i think your spamming is going a little too far. every spammer knows when to stop. Dont disgrace us.

On topic: I have an EDGEIII on my Ibanez. Its great but i read somewhere you can put the whole string (incl ball ends) into the tremolo..is that tr00?

7. yazi

yazi Banned

Last I saw, guys used to put strings the other way round. U know, the ball end on the tuners.

8. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Thats how the Jackson ex-lutheir said it shud be done

9. angel_of_sin

^^whose he??????????

10. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

He is a Jackson EX Luthier.

11. yazi

yazi Banned

Who are you talking about?

12. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Some jackson lutheir guy. he posted a nice video on floyd rose guitars n stuff! dont remember the website. he said that using the ball ends on the tuner heads does not damage it

13. angel_of_sin

bt still man...........cant we just put our strings da right way..........i mean da normal way.........wat da prob??????????

14. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

^LOL, this is for FLOYD ROSE guitars....omg

15. angel_of_sin

heheehehehehe.............

16. yazi

yazi Banned

what hehehehehehehhehehehhehehehehehehehehehehehehhe?

17. angel_of_sin

i got a bd sense of humour man .......... nd u knw it...................^^^

18. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

bad sense of humour....or no touch with reality (doped out) lolz!

19. angel_of_sin

me nt a dopey...........so i guess its a bd sense of humour.....................:)