Tabs for the song Thalattum Poongaatru Naan Allava - An IR + Janaki Hit Song

Discussion in 'Tamil Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by SATHYA167, Sep 12, 2012.

1. SATHYA167

SATHYA167 New Member

Can anyone please listen to the song "Thaalattum Poongaatru Naan Allava" from the film 'Gopura Vasaliley' and tell the base chord? This will help in taking the root note as 's' while tabbing this song.

Roentgen - Please help me.. . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . .Sathya

2. thamboo

thamboo Member

C minor is the scale

3. SATHYA167

SATHYA167 New Member

Thanks Thamboo, that is a great help. The song is set in a grim raga "Simhendra Madhyamam".

The raga goes like this s r2 g2 m2 p d1 n3 S and goes down in the same reverse order while descending.

C Harmonic Minor scales will almost fit into this raga except replacing the F by F#.

The song will be tabbed within C D D# F# G G# B notes. Just for practice, the tabs of the raga are as under:

E-------------------------7--8------8--7----------------------------E
    B---------------7--8--9--------------------9--8--7------------------B
    G-----5--7--8----------------------------------------8--7--5--------G

It will take some time to tab the song completely. I would like to get into some confidence before putting the same in IGT.

Happy playing the raga...................................... Sathya

4. SATHYA167

SATHYA167 New Member

Here we go.................... with the tabs for the song.

This song is a super hit. Janaki's way of singing is excellent, I would say - fully reflecting the mood.

IR has chosen the above said raga and he is fully in command in adapting the song and raga nicely.

Again as said earlier, this song is a 24 Carat pure carnatic song - All notes well within the grammer.

Pick, Play & Enjoy........................ & do post your comments........................ Sathya

Attached Files:

5. thamboo

thamboo Member

(Cm)Thaalattum Poongatru Naanallava
    (Cm)Nee kaettu Paarattu O Mannava
    (G#)...Varuvaayo......
    (G#)...Vaaraayo.......
    (Cm)Oh (G#)Nenja(G)me..
    (Cm)Oh Nenjame...
    (Cm)Un (G#)Nenja(G)me..
    (Cm)Un Thanjame

6. thamboo

thamboo Member

I can hear only Cm G#maj & Gmaj & B chords in this song

7. SATHYA167

SATHYA167 New Member

Thanks Thamboo for more information. I tried F instead of F#. But F# goes well with the song and this raga also touches F# and not F. By the way, in this raga if you replace F in the place of F# you get C harmonic minor scale. I am unable to link the chord and this raga otherwise. I leave it to others to comment. One think is that Gmaj has F# as the 7th note - I do not know whether this has any link.

8. SATHYA167

SATHYA167 New Member

I give below the carnatic notes which I picked up from net. This may give more clear picture about the gamakam areas. Definitely this can not be played in guitar. So I have put the least notes which give a feel of the song.

thaalaattum poongaatru naanallavaa
    s p p m p p pdnSn d p

neekaettu paaraattu oa mannavaa
    s p p m p p pdnS n d p

varuvaayoa vaaraayoa
    d d d pdmpgmpg gd d pdmpgmpg

oa nenjamae oa nenjamae
    rgmp m g r grsn. n.sgr s s s

en nenjamae un thanjamae
    rgmp m g r grsn. n.sgr s s s

(thaalaattum)

Stanza 1:

nalliravil naan kanvizhiththaen un ninaivil naan meysilirththaen
    p p p dp dp g m m p p p p dp pdnSnd dS n d p

panjanaiyil nee mulviriththaay pen manadhai nee aen pariththaay
    p p p dp dp g m m p mp p p dp pdnSnd dS n d p

aekkam theeyaage aedhoa noayaaga
    dn n dn n m gm m gm m gr

paarkkum koalangal yaavum neeyaaga
    dn n dn n m gm m gm m gr

vaasalil mannaa un thaer vara
    s r g rs s s sS SnnS GRS

aadudhu poondhoaranam
    nSG R S SR n S

9. thamboo

thamboo Member

The song starts with Cm chord; that is all, B Chord, G Maj chord never fit C minor scale but chords are placed only to push the song into the mood which is needed; I should not have mentioned Cminor scale but as Cminor Chord; Cmin, G# Maj & G maj fit the song's simhendhramadhyamam scale aptly, C(Sa) D(R2) Eb(G2) Gb(M2) G(Pa) Ab(D1) B(N3); but in western point of view since it starts with Cm chord, i simply mentioned as Cm scale but with no intention that it will follow Cm exactly which would be nothing but natabhairavi in natural minor and keeravani in harmonic minor

10. thamboo

thamboo Member

FYI that gamakams can be brought to some good effect by some effective string bending techniques which may not give the vocal quality but is still worth trying; slides and hammer-on can also be used, but; at certain junctures bending would be apt

11. SATHYA167

SATHYA167 New Member

Thanks a lot for the information. Very useful to me. I will try them sometimes. This post gave me good learning.

12. SATHYA167

SATHYA167 New Member

What is this?

13. pearlmaharajan

pearlmaharajan New Member

spam, Just ignore

14. roentgen

roentgen Well-Known Member

Agree with thamboo. Only Cm, G, G# and B chords in this song.

(Cm)Thaalaatum Poongaatru Naanallavaa
    Nee Kaettu Paaraattu O Mannavaa..
    (G#)Varuvaayo.. Vaaraayo..
    (Cm)O Nenja(G)mae.. (Cm)O Nenjamae..
    (Cm)En Nenja(G)mae.. (Cm)Un Thanjamae..

(Cm)....Nalliravil Naan(G#7)...Kanvizhi(G)kka
    (Cm)Un Ninaivil Naan Mei Silirka
    (Cm)...Panjanaiyil Nee(G#7)...Mulvirith(G)thaai
    (Cm)Pen Manathai Nee Aen Pariththaai
    (G)Aekkam Theeyaaga (B)Aetho No(G)yaaga
    (G)Kaanum Kolangal (B)Yaavum Neeyaaga
    (Cm)Vaasalil Mannaa Un Thaer Va(G)ra..
    (Cm)Aaduthu Poon(G)thora(Cm)nam

Rajesh :music:

tripravi likes this.
  15. SATHYA167

SATHYA167 New Member

Thanks a lot. I have a question for (or need a clarification from) both of you. A sort of I VI V chord progression is seen here. What is the reason for introduction of B chord - Is it accidental? or for variety? or for variation? or for accommodating or bringing in some mood? It is only my quest out of curiosity. I do understand that IR makes a lot of variation in tunes. Mostly such variations give a new dimension to the tune and the chord progression also quickly comes back to the root or tonic note.

This film and all the major 4 songs are my favorite and on seeing the raga background of this song, I gave up my attempt to tab the song (I thought it is very high for me). It is only after Pearl asked for this song I revisited this song.

On the whole this exercise is a big learning one for me.... Thanks a lot for all the participation.........

I love this healthy exchange of views..... Sathya

16. pearlmaharajan

pearlmaharajan New Member

Thanks to Roentgen and Sathya... great song ...

17. tripravi

tripravi Well-Known Member

Superb chords bro, enjoyed playing. Thank you

roentgen likes this.