tabbing out chords!!!

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Double A, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Double A

Double A New Member

HELLO EVERYONE

I was just wondering that how you tabbers tab out the chords. Imean the sound is just not enough to tab e.g in the song "yakeen" or "take it easy" the chords are just intermingled with vocals.

Do u have to get a feel for the whole chord or you can pick out the individual notes being played in the particular chord??? :think: :think: :annoyed:

I can just make out the notes of the vocals and i love it when it is played on the guitar!!!Dont you??

Regards
    Ammar

2. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

Both ... man u gotta do both ...

3. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

you dont need to pick out the notes
    u got to know which key the song is in and use the chord for the key
    it comes from experience
    im trying to learn myself

4. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

many songs are off key ...

and for 'em ya need to really "hear" and "visualise" each note of the chord being played ...

better still ... play intervals ... coz thats what matters - chords are compilation of intervals ... get slight overdrive on the guitar and play intervals ... thats the easier way to play ... and u can improvise (put in fills/leads) with more dexterity ...

yeah ok ... the conclusion from this is u need to learn intervals ... i think ron has done an excellent treatise on this subject ...

5. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

um... or just keep trying to figure out diff songs - as in the chords of them.. ull eventually get the hang of it- including off key chords and everything..

6. arunrx

arunrx Banned

Hope this helps. It is a post done by user 'Kishmu' on a different thread.
    https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=6981

How to determine chords. It comes with lots of practice by listening to constituent notes in a chord. Some things below that are helpful but not a rule.

1. Learn the sounds of cycle of 5ths. Cycle of fifths are chords whose roots progress every 5th interval above or below. For example C-F-Bb-Eb etc for above and C-G-D-A etc for below. Train your ear into listening to successive chords in relation to the one before and after. Now do the same excercise for minor chords i.e., Cm-Fm-Bbm etc.

2. Then try hearing the same chords with different bass notes. For example C/D - F/G - Bb/C etc. Notice bass notes are second notes of the chord's scale. Choose different bass notes like that but follow a strict pattern.

What the above 2 will do to you is accustom your ears to hearing the most common progression heard in popular music and also hear some added note chords. For example Cm/Ab becomes AbM7.

3. Pick any song u want chords to. Note the time signature for example 4/4, 6/8 etc. Generally for slow songs chords can change frequently in a measure and fast songs opposite is true. Slow means lower tempo and fast means higher.

4. By knowing the time signature, split each bar into two. Try to listen to bass and melody for every strong beat. So for a 4/4 song write the bass and melody separately for beat 1 and 3.

5. Now you have two notes in a chord!! Usually that is true, but not all melody resolve to a chord in the strong beat - so beware.

6. You need to now "guess" other notes, for which (1) and (2) will be helpful. Usually the bass note will give you some indication of a chord's function in a scale - usually denoted by a number in roman numerals I - ii - iii - IV - V etc. The caps are for majors and smalls are for minors. For example, take scale of C major. I - the tonic - is C, ii is Dm, iii - Em ..... vii is a diminished chord which normally needs resolution back to I. So if you hear bass note D, and the melody is A, you can "guess" Dm - again not a rule. Chord can be D Major or Am/D or whatever. If you hear F# or F, then D major or minor is easily narrowed down to because it completes all the notes in the chord. If you are not satisfied it is a Dm or Major, listen to the next chord - by applying cylcle of 5ths rule u can guess the previous chord. For example, if the next chord were a simple Eb major, previous chord could be Bb derived - so the chord may be BbM7 (since we already know that there is a D and A in the chord).

7. Learn some common progressions like ii-V-I or ii7-V7-IM7 (translates to Dm7-G7-CM7 for scale of C). Note the sound of M7 - it is a "satisfied" chord needing no resolutions. Diminished on the other hand because of a leading tone needs to push to a more "satisfied" major or minor chord. Same applies to augmented chords - these are incomplete chords. Listen to some classical music, resolutions will become very clear to you (lots of MIDI files available on the web).

8. Finally keep listening everyday to different styles - more importantly, do it "intelligently". Listening to music doesn't mean u shut off your mind and listen to your "heart" - or maybe seek a spiritual intervention (devotion ) ) Yeah yeah people say music comes from the heart and should be spontaneous blah blah - all that is true only when you become fluent in the art form. First, you need to question with your mind.

Learn to ask simple questions like, what is the melody here, where does the phrase end, what is the time signature - does it have any abrupt change, what is the instrument used for both rythm and melody, why do you think that instrument was chosen, what is the mood conveyed by the composer - does it match the title of the song....the questions are endless. Your musical vocabulary expands if you can seek answers to those - its a never ending journey.

7. Double A

Double A New Member

thanx a lot

thanx a loy guys that helped a lot!

8. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

i hope u did get what u wanted .. coz these guys just gave u complex answers to ur simple question . keys and off keys and time signatures and blah and blah .. forget that for the time being .

so true that chords cant be heard in most songs. but initially uve to figure out chords by pure hit and trial . and yes .. u dont have to pick out the individual notes . just strum different chords (majors and minors basically) and see which one goes with the rhythm/melody .. it aint a big task. i did that too in the beginning. and it'll work for many songs .
    later on wen u go into theory , u'll know abt keys and that will simplify the procedure for u. but for now do what i said

9. vishwa_81us

vishwa_81us Banned

too much technical... for a newbie... :think: any simpler way to understand that ??

vishwa :cool:

10. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

yeah ...
    do just waht nemo is telling ...

actually thats the way most of the rock guitarist begin ... no one goes thru the analytical mode (classical guitarist do that) ...

what we do is snythetical mode ... make up something, somehow and play ... and keep changing till it sounds good ...
    once u reach that level ... then u start fishing around for music theory ... which makes u understand why certain combos sound better ... etc ... stuff

11. arunrx

arunrx Banned

The method seems complicated but u will find it easy if u learn scales and intervals.
    There is no shortcut for newbies/beginners to find chords. If someone says 'I don't want to know scales/notes/intervals but I want a method to find chords'
    then only way is through ears and it comes by experience. Your ears should be able identify different chords, or atleast major/minor and seventh chords.
    You should be capable to imagine the sound of chords on songs. Like... you hear a song, and imagine how will it be if you apply a major Chord or, will a seventh chord.., if u sense major is suitable, then which degree - C, F etc..

Or if you have patience, just keep practicing the chords (right chords)submitted by others and your ears will develop and soon you will be able to play yourself, atleast the basic chords.

There is one easy method, but it requires that you should know the
    1. Tune of a song,
    2. Scale and the relative (diatonic) chords.
    3. Notes comprising each chord. (Example, C+E+G makes C major chord)

Going with an example., let the scale be C major.
    The diatonic chords for C scale will be - C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, Bdim, C
    (In the above, you can play G7 instead of Bdim. To know why, you should learn some theory).

Write down the notes comprising each chord.
    C - C+E+G
    Dm - D+F+A
    Em - E+G+B
    F - F+A+C
    G - G+B+D
    Am - A+C+E
    Bdim - B+D+F

Now you have to decide at which instances you should place Chords. This cannot be explained, it is you to decide.
    Let's take you wish to place a chord for the 1st word, 1st line on the song. Play the tune and find which note strikes over there. Say, you find the note as 'E'.
    Now look on the notes comprising each chord, and find which chord contains the note 'E'. We see that chords Am, Em and C have the note 'E'. Apply the chords and find which is more suitable. (Mostly the song will start with a root chord, C in our case).

And now, you wish to place a Chord in somewhere middle of the 1st line. You find note 'A' strinking there. We see the chords Am, F and Dm containing note 'A'. So give a try on all 3 chords and find which sounds good.

Pls ask for clarifications, if any.

vini likes this.
  12. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

I face this problem too. Tabbing out Metal and **** like that goes off pretty easy becasue of usage of mostly power chords. But in Blues especially the ones played by Hendrix or SRV or even Clapton a lot of chords like D/E is used. I always figure it out as D but I just dont seem to hear that E note on top of the D Chord. This thing confuses me. Another thing is trying to figure out things like 9th or Augmented or Suspended chords. Confuses me to the core. I get it only by trial and error not because I heard it that way. Any good methods or short cuts for this ??

13. arunrx

arunrx Banned

There is no short cut, for sure.
    Tracking chords as in the song is more difficult than building ur own progression.
    It requires lots of patience and good 'sound' knowledge Hear audio with different equalizer settings. Try playing every part of music - the vocal, bass, piano, lead and whatever you hear... just find those notes. This mixture will give an idea of the chord being used. And add your sound knowledge to it.

(You are confused? - means you are following a right way.. confusion leads to clarity later :) )