Swades: a brave movie

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by fictional_real, Dec 27, 2004.

1. madhura

madhura pani poori yum yum ....

i saw that one more time ..... this time on dvd ( i guess it was pirated though, i shouldn't have watched it this way :( ) got from indian grocery store ..... but fwd.ed songs ... :) ...

2. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

i still havent seen the movie...
    i havent seen dil se either..
    or main hoon na...
    or tons of other shah rukh khan movies.. odds r i wont see this one too

3. madhura

^^^ you are not missing too much by not watching mai hoon na or other shahrukh movies but personally i liked dil se too .... i dunno why it received bad crictique

4. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

^^^i think dil se was among the movies which for me personally proved him as an true actor.....atleat for me. i.e..

lol...funny signature.

5. browneyegurlie

browneyegurlie Sweet as Honey

i watched bits of dil se on tv mainly the song chaiya chaiya and the part where they blow up in the end!so i really need to c it and understand the big hype.....he was good in devdas but i think the actress were better than him.
    swades if good but at parts real slow and boring but that mite be coz i was ill wen watchin it! nm

6. fictional_real

^^^dats not true...some ppl found it very slow and boring. some ppl really liked it...
    lolz..u liked devdas...even if u gimme 100 bucks to watch dat movie...i wont. not in my life.

devdas=loser. :p:

7. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

thats the movie where the 2 girls start singing about *** toys right?

dil** la re etc :p:

8. fictional_real

^^^lolz. jay dat was hilarious! :p:

9. browneyegurlie

lol

^^pretty amusing! made me laugh lol.
    devdas isnt my fav movie i just loved all the colours,the dresses etc in it!
    lol wen i went 2 c it this guy sat next me was literally drooling throughout the film,hopefully about ash and madhuri :p:

10. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

the joke goes something liek this...
    why does s-s-s-sshah rukh khan become an alcoholic in devdas?

A: He is supposed to be the hero, but inspite of that madhuri and ash start singing dildo la re .. he cant take it anymore and becomes an alcoholic :p:

J

11. shak

shak Harrr!

^^^..LOLzzzz..how do you caome up with this stuff man???...this is cool!

12. fictional_real

@browneyegurlie....drooling all the time...over u???:p: hey...wat do u mean by ash or madhuri...u think u r one of them? :p:..

devdas was sent to oscar...it shamelessly didnt qualify, even i thougth it wasnt worth..madhuri was like over 40....ash was like plastic doll wids loads of makeup. there was no inspiration, motivation, moral or any message 4 the people frm the movie as it was from lagaan.

hey guys, do u think swades will get oscar for us?

13. browneyegurlie

hahaha

lol no i dont think i'm madhuri or ash i meant the guy was drooling looking at them and by hopin it was them i meant was he drooling looking at shahrukh?!

i dunno if it'll get an oscar...wats veer zaara like?i dunno if to go and see it.

14. varmas11

varmas11 New Member

ay yo listen to the other side at least

you guys better stop hatin on my boy shahrukh khan. he's gotten so much criticism and so what if he's a popular. he's one hell of an actor too. he's just attached to this image because every movie he does a little touch of shahrukh because they're romantic type movies, but ppl dont realize that the character he plays has that essence in it. he's got the unique ability to connect with the viewer at the deepest level regardless of external boundaries. if you doubt his acting ability. watch mohabattein or devdas or the deathbed scene in kal ho na ho or even darr or anjaam. this kid has got one helluva hotbed of talent. people are always tryin to materialize and make acting or art a concrete structure. it aint concrete. it's abstract. it's true... [i don't believe in the truth of science]. like shahrukh said 'its a form of spiritualism [for him]' he expresses his soul in films and draws the connection from the viewer. i mean i'm a tough kid, but this actor can make my cry multiple times ina movies. it's just too goddamn true and brilliant. i mean he's my idol. haha i wanna be an actor ! i got into music cause of this guy ! this guy is the epitome of expressive bliss and inspiration in my eyes. haha i respect all your opinions and keep postin. i just wanted to post my take on the subject instaed of one sided bashing on shahrukh... :cool:

lata guys,
    saurabh

15. varmas11

varmas11 New Member

another point...

acting isn't about doing brilliant things in the critics' eyes. it's about expressing the soul and stuff. i agree sometimes shahrukh seems like a bit of himself in many films... most actors can't do it... but there's somethin about his acting and expressions that is just undeniable. i can assure you that no other actor will even really be comparable to shah rukh khan in terms of success. in terms of talent, i would say aamir khan has a great deal of it. perhaps he is even more talented. but nobody connects with the viewer and soul like srk. after all 'aspriation culminates into expression which goes on to inspiration'. keep arguin' guys ! i like this

saurabh

16. varmas11

varmas11 New Member

swades

swades will perhaps get an oscar althought I doubt it. gowariker has picked a brilliant premise but the execution is not very good. the film could have been much better and the screenplay and direction is quite lacking. lagaan was brilliant but swades is a brave attempt on a great premise but it's not so powerful. the scene of srk goin to see the tenant and the water is absolutely incredible. that's great direction and acting and culmination. however, one scene will not save a movie... gowariker has done an eastern film with a western touch or command. there's no true expression of spirit and soul in the film. it's too concrete and material. i think ashutosh was too concentrated on how to win an oscar instead of making a great great film. however, oscar ppl do love the theme of human spirit and unity and especially reality in hindi films. it has a chance... though i doubt it... why couldn't they make a better film!! this had the chance to be perhaps the greatest film in the last 10-15 yrs... but it was not done. first 30 mins are great... few scenes are great... srk actually finally gets a chance to prove to the tons of other ppl that he is a true actor although he already was. this just diversifies his talents in the public's eyes. gowariker did not give much scope to the characters... he's better than that... oh well... we'll have to wait and see... but i'm quite interested in how ppl are finding this film so great. it's decent or slightly good but not a great masterpiece by any measure.

peace,
    saurabh

17. madhura

@sourabh ...
    i think ppl never said it was masterpiece or so .... but definately all were talking about great acting by srk and touchy scenes ... ..

18. fictional_real

@saurab....i dont think ashutosh was looking forward to make a movie which will be define itself to be eligible and perfect for an oscar...i remember him saying dat lagaan was a masterpiece and u cant compare it wid swades. he also admitted dat he might even not make a movie like dat again...u simply cannot compare those two. and i think swades was a honest effort by him ...concentrating in wat he really wanted to deliver and ppl to see.

ask urself a question....gimme name of any present movie director who cud forget abt directing but even make an attempt to do a project like dat?

this movie is different....it has picked a topic which we tend to ignore. we are talking abt bollywood where ppl like senseless, no modesty, comedy, govinda types, romantic bull**** types, mithun action :p:...types usually works here. who will see a movie which shows some deep reality like dat...and he had to deal wid it. since, this movie was not well accepted by ppl living in india.
    it was filmed more concrete and material was bcoz it was dealing wid reality...it shud be something more likely to be like documentary movie...i think many of u will feel dat it was like a documentary movie ...simply coz it was realistic. there is a village out there like dat.....there is a tenant like dat man.....and perhaps even the water boy.

have u heard abt villagers who sold their kidneys or attempted suicide in andhra pradesh coz they cudnt pay their debts?

19. fictional_real