super colossal - joe satriani 2006

Discussion in 'Music Reviews, Albums, Biography etc' started by shak, Mar 16, 2006.

1. shak

shak Harrr!

rubbish
    wasted 10.99 pounds
    should have gone to movies instead or the pizza hut

but maybe its not my taste .. you might find it good .. do reply

2. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

hey!! send it to me by post. ;)

3. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

I thought that this album was quite nice. I think most people get fixated to the 80s sound that Joe had on Surfing and Flying in a Blue Dream. That era is over and his musical style is evolving. I know there are some songs that you can just skip without thinking bout it like the title track Super Collosal -seriously just sounds like "Going Down" riff recycled. But there are some good songs on there like Redshift Riders and A Cool New Way. And i quite liked the Crowd Chant riff - the whole song is kinda like chant you'd hear in a bollywood movie but its still quite amusing. I think the song was aimed at live performances where the fans can actually participate in a song.

On another note - You can tell that Joe is moving in a new direction. My fav was the Blues album and the Not of This earth album. Even though it does'nt meet the standards set by him on his earlier records its still quite better than stuff thats coming out now.

4. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

:RollLol: Is that a review?

5. shak

shak Harrr!

^ there aint much to say about it .. the word "rubbish" sums it up quite nicely .. but if you want detail.. then here it goes ..
    firstly it doesnt sound like joe at all .. there is no trickery like satch boogie .. no screaming leads .. he has hardly pushed th treble knob past 3 ... the sound of the guitar is muffled most of the time. . the drum beats are over powering so is the basss ...... its more like guitar+techno stuff . .than what a guitar instrumental should be ..
    i didnt like it . .cuz maybe i was expecting something diff from joe this time ..

6. sridhar11_2

I've got news for you my friend...he's not gonna come out with more stuff like satch boogie,surfing with the alien. He seems to have settled into a more mellow musical role which i like and you dont seem to like. Unless he tries to come out with more stuff like Surfing i dont think he can naturally please everyone since he's branded for that 80s blistering leads sound.

7. shak

shak Harrr!

mellow my butt ... he has lost his creative genius .. he had a genre of his own .. now listen to him .. he is all jazz/blues/fusion +trans=ish ... what ever he is doin . .he is not gettin better thats for sure ..

8. sridhar11_2

i guess evryone has their own opinion. I say he's still doing well. He's now tryin to make the guitar as transperant as possible and concentrating on musical composition rather than blazing guitar playing. You seem to prefer the guitar blazing:p: . But i know its kinda dissapointing to see him do a 180 on the music he was making earlier.

9. real_illusions

real_illusions Clapton Is GOD

Super Collossal kix ass. Anyone who says otherwise has some serious hearing and/or mental defects. If you think you can do better, no one's stopping you, so go ahead, just try so that we can all hear it and give that a one word review too.

10. slash_i_m

slash_i_m Laid to Rest

^ lol u summed it up too

11. grabasstic_man

grabasstic_man New Member

Satriani better be good !!!!!

Ok i haven't got my copy of Super colossal yet so i possibly cannot comment. ( I thought it was coming out in uk on 22th March !! )
    Now the reason i put the title ' Satriani better be good !!!!! ' is because i am going to see him play live this summer. I paid big bucks for great seat so he better be impressive otherwise i am going to ask for my money back. Trust me from the seats i got lol i actully can ask joe himself :))

12. slash_i_m

slash_i_m Laid to Rest

^ whoa cool man, Satch is gawd :nw:

13. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Doing "better" according to? (you?)

14. real_illusions

real_illusions Clapton Is GOD

according to anyone....
    point is there is difference between proper criticism of an album and a one word review....

15. grabasstic_man

grabasstic_man New Member

OK three month down the line. I have actully met JOE SATRIANI. He came to play in my town in uk and i got a platinum package deal which meant i had to fork out £120 for each ticket. However i did manage to get front row seats plus backstage pass etc etc
    Anyway any of you who question Joe's ability on a guitar shoud go see him live. He is the god of tone and is a perfect example of perfection on guitar.
    If any of you want to see the pictures from the gig then go on

https://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=551634991&security=ABeqHN

I also uploaded Joe playing live on youtube, watch all the videos and see for yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1gn6oBXNYw

:))