Summer Holiday (GROAN)

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by Asmodeus, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Hey,
    I've been forced into going on a summer holiday to Kolkatta, followed by Darjeeling and Gangtok...

I'll be leaving on the 1st and returning on the 12th.
    My itinary includes:
    First 5 days in Kal...
    Next 3-4 in Darjeeling
    2 in Gangtok

So, temme who-ever can, what's too see in Kolkatta, Darjeeling & Gangtok? Help me out here.

P.S. Aren't guitars cheaper in Kolkatta???

2. browneyegurlie

browneyegurlie Sweet as Honey

kolkatta...........oooo i love going there in my summer hols...and going this yr too:).......erm the new malls are ace like city centre...wen i went it had just opened but now that place must rock! of course activities of the night!
    i cant remember the precise locations but i was taken to all these roads where there are pani puri stands etc and going there in the evening is soo cool and sweet
    of course theres the historical side to kol........
    this post is going to sound very dull so i shall now mush!

3. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

are u going to buy guitars all the way through out your travel???....:shiny:

4. ambuj

ambuj Pro Tabber

yeah guitars there are cheaper coz indian companies like givson and hobner are situated there.. not sure though
    enjoy your holiday!

5. rockin'away

rockin'away Banned

hahaha.... great place kolkata... special eating pani puri on the streets!... well ye guitars are cheaper.... in kolkata go to clubs( rain dances they rock!) just enjoy and chill man... its a holiday!

6. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

pani puri actually belongs to mumbai.

7. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

yes thats right.

pani-puri = mumbai and south india

gol - guppa = same thing in north india/hindi belt

in calcutta its called by neither of these 2 names though - its called "phuchka" and that i guess is due to the phuchk-ing sound that comes when the vendor breaks it to put the stuffing inside.

@asmo... i'll be going to going to darjeeling and sikkim soon too - lets exchange notes. i want to see the lakes of sikkim.

8. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Yeah... I know of bengali food man.. I;m a bengali...
    Thanks for the help...

@ Jamhead = When's you leaving???

9. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

nothings confirmed yet... but the 10th of may most likely... or later.

10. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

eat a lot of sandes and rasso gullas there !!! yummy ...

have fun and enjoy ur self dude !!!

11. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

i say kolkatta is vera vera famos 4 da wone n wonly :::::
    MISHTI DHUI.dont forget to have this .its a very yummy thing that tastes like a yoghurt and it is very famous in kokatta.have fun dude!!!!!!!!!

12. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

its MISHTI DOI... i checked.

13. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

yea .mishti goi rulez!theres nothing more better than mishti doi out there in the field of sweets.

14. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

As a confirmed poll-o-phille i can only hope that the original poster/ thread starter will hold a poll - of the best Kolkata food - rosso-golla OR mishti doi OR phuchka OR sandesh OR jhal mudi OR kati roll (though samantha aka pamela dont yet know what it is!!) OR what-have-you

do it Asmo !!

15. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Ha... I dont like posting thread such... atleast now...
    And I already know of all these food-stuff.. likeI said, I'm a bengali... So, like, I know what to eat and savour there. Looking forward to Kosha Manhsho, Doi Chingdi... and Dhokar Dalna... mustard-oil cooked food... I like..

BTW, What's to see in Gangtok?

16. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

click on "thread tools" above this post... the drop down will have some options, one of which will be "add a poll"

for gantok.... changu lake.... and the lake trip if u have time and enthu.. and the many tibetan monastaries in gantok... do a gantok google.

17. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

i am off to darjeeling on the 6th - i'll reach on the 7th.

3 days in darjeeling followed by 3 more in sikkim..... then to varanasi.... then andaman.... ;)

18. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

has anyone here been to darjeeling or sikkim ?

can someone tell me please about a few must-see places and some not-polular-yet-fantastics spots??

i have 2 days b4 i leave .... pls hurry

19. Subhro

Subhro Argentina lost :"(

frm siliguri u hav 2 go by a trekker (120/-) , or bus/ maruti van.. maruti wud cost u much more.. bus a lil less

in sikkim...
    places 2 visit r..
    1. Tsangu lake (covrd wid snow most of da time)
    2. Yumthang (valley of flowers) infact at this time probably it looks vry beautiful
    3. thr r sum more like da suicide point, and some xxxxtak (don remember xxxx)
    lal market in gangtok.. gangtok is a nice city.. hav fun out thr..
    thr r only 2 movie halls.. and da by 8-9 at night da streets get quite lonely, shops close down too..
    dats enuf i guess..
    1 more advice.. ppl out thr don use thr brains.. they wud rathr kill u n thn think abt it.. so try not 2 get in a compromisin situation wid ny sikkimese guy..

20. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

do you knwo where is the bardhaman maharaja's house in darjeling? my hotel is near that.

and if i get into a compro sit., then it would be with a sikiimian chick - (no matter how thick as a brick)

how far is pelling village from gantok ?