Suggestion - My 2 cents

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by djmistryman, Feb 10, 2005.

1. djmistryman

djmistryman kuch..jaana pehchaana

I am a newbie to this forum and was going through a lot of posts. First thank you all for welcoming me. Now here is an idea - :Lighten:

All of the songs on this forum are tabbed of the format -

E----------------0--1--------------------- (1st string)
    B-------------1--------3------------------ (2nd string)
    G----------2--------------2--------------- (3rd)
    D-------2--------------------0------------ (4th)
    A----0----------------------------------- (5th string)
    E-0-------------------------------------- (6th/last string)

OR

E --------------------------------------
    B ----3-3-3-5-5-5-3-3--3-3--------------
    G -3-3-----5----------------------------
    D --------------------------------------
    A --------------------------------------
    E --------------------------------------

Here is another format which can be used to tab a song..

How about just writing numbers. So from the above example

3/3 3/3 2/3 2/3 2/3 3/5 2/5 2/5 2/5 2/3 2/3 2/3

This basically means you put the string number on the top and fret number on the bottom. As a beginner when i was learning this used to work great for me.

Experts please comment.

U know who loves u !
    MistryMan

2. Sanjay Mazumder

Sanjay Mazumder ~..::MASTERMIND::..~

Well, that's a nice idea. But I think it's having disadvantages. It looks clumsy an vague.
    Can U play 3/2 3/2 3/0 4/3 4/2 3/0 5/3 4/0 4/2 4/2 4/3 3/0 3/2 4/3
    and tell me what song it is?

Well, I think this thread will be moved somewhere else.

3. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

1. Welcome to IGT mistry man (is it mistry man or mistery man? cos mistry means constructor in some indian languages ;) )
    2. You said "Experts please comment." but I hope non experts can also comment
    so here goes:
    Your notation is more concise and saves space, but I think people are more used to the convention of explicitly drawing out strings, and can read it more easily.
    Anyway, one important point is that as you get more and more experienced with tabs, you will start seeing "patterns". So if you see this for instance

E----------2-------------------------
    B-------3----3-----------------------
    G----2---------2---------------------
    D--0-------------0-------------------
    A------------------------------------
    E------------------------------------

most players can immedietely see that its a D chord arpeggio and the fingers go in place immedietely.
    Note only is this convenient, but also important for the development of a guiarist to be able to see these patterns. They are everywhere, whether you are talking about chords, scales or intervals. I believe that learning tabs this way helps us learn these patterns too, which will help you become a better guitar player in general.
    Thats my 2 cents in this matter.

4. daffodil

daffodil bright little flower

i totally agree with ananth222 .... besides if you are insisting on your format , just because its easy to "type and post" ... then you are wrong , cause there are several softwares available out there like tabit or similar, in which you can just write numbers on strings, ( it has automatic timings, tempo etc...) and can listen if it is correct, can save as text, and directly copy paste on forum .........

5. Sanjay Mazumder

In my opinion stuff notation is the best.

6. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

ya thats a gud format for tabs but as sanjay said... it has disadvantages.. it does not look tidy...

but the widely used tab format is cool thing...

and ya wrong forum.. shud be in the feedback or suggestion...

7. daffodil

daffodil bright little flower

obviously staff notation is good sanjay, but to use it online , there are tons of limitations ..... first being creating it ( i know s/ws are available for that also) and uploading them on forum like igt..... it either has to be in jpegs with file size <50k and stuff like this..... i guess whatever formats are available on IGt are good enough.

8. Sanjay Mazumder

But nobody is telling me what is the song ?
    @mistryman, I think U got it why nobody is telling me the song.

9. djmistryman

I don't know what song it is. I just copy/pasted it from this site. I was just trying to see if the format that i was suggesting would be easier or not. Also it is MistryMan - my last name is Mistry :) People living in New Jersey/Pennsylvania know me as the MistryMan because that is my Radio (on air name). I am a radio jock on an Indian Radio station here.

10. Sanjay Mazumder

That's kool, dude. Well, the song is Chookar mere man ko by Kishore Kumar.

11. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

i hope you got ur answer , so you can trust IGTians now ...

Wrong Forum , thread moved to beginers q & a ...

12. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

the other thing that your version doesn't show which the staff does show are slides and timings of notes.

for instance Money For Nothing would be very difficult and messy to post in your format.

13. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

It seems djmistryman is a verbal person....he relates better to words than pictorial representation...
    Well people have different ways...But looking at the popularity of the standard tab notation....it seems most people are comfortable to visually see the chord shape.:)

BTW have u ever taken VAK test to determine ur mode of learning?

14. Sanjay Mazumder

VAK test. What is it?

15. djmistryman