sub-standard judging of western music competition

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by apratim.mitra, Mar 10, 2005.

1. apratim.mitra

apratim.mitra You can call me apro

hi guys

we had a western groups competition in our college recently ... western groups as in different halls putting up teams which played songs ranging from rock and roll to progressive rock ... we were arguably one of the best ... our song list was the following ...

nightwish - crimson tide and the deep blue sea
    pink floyd - cofortably numb
    Dream Theater - Spirit Carries on
    Eagles - Get Over IT
    Iron Maiden - Wicker Man

but the judging was sub-standard to say the least... with the kudos going to the ppl performing the most popular numbers:mad:

i just wanted to know if any of u guys have faced a similar situation ... or is this an event in isolation ...

2. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

We also have similar inter-hostel group/solo music competitions...most of the time the judges are either Leon(frontman of Moksha)or Nanditha(No Idea..who just won the GIR).....they are mostly fair...I havent really seen popular covers getting more credit though....hard luck dude!..BTW who was judging?

3. apratim.mitra

we had a visiting professor from Australia ... some Prof. Lambert ... we had expected better from him for the simple reason that he is a westerner and would understand the nuances of the music slightly better than is usually the case ... at least that's what we thought ... however as i have already mentioned he had NO IDEA !!!! just wish we could have someone as competent as Leon to judge this thing ...

4. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Ya we are lucky in that regard..basically bands like Moksha and No Idea are Chennai bands..they started their careers at IITM's Saarang rock competitions..so we manage to get them everytime for judging...:)

5. Hardik

Hardik .:.:.:BoRn TaLenT:.:.:.

we have such competitions in our college too.....the crowd cheers to the popular numbers......but the judges are impartial.....:)

6. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

depens upon the judges n the Musik......one can actually decide if hes ther in live concert...but cant decide by posting only

7. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

@nebu, moksha judged(i dont think much of no idea, i personally thought they sucked)..cool.
    @apro@lol, what more do u expect from a prof.!!!

8. apratim.mitra

yeah well guess that's what we are all telling ourselves ... small consolation though after having worked so hard to pick a DT number .... along with floyd and maiden ... :mad: